What's holding back Warlock from being unlocked in 10.0.7 like Monk?

Genuine question here.

We were told not long ago that the devs are building towards “All Races, All Classes” by Holinka in this interview. (Assuming Evoker is an exception to that, as this was said prior to their reveal)

And this was the basis for unlocking Mage, Priest, and Rogue in 10.0. Now it was announced that in 10.0.7, the remaining 3 races will have Monk unlocked. (Which is great, and I applaud you for finally adding monk to two of the races people have wanted it for) However, for me at least, a blaring question remains:

Why can’t you also unlock Warlocks for all races? Currently, Warlocks are missing from Draenei, Lightforged, Kul Tiran, Pandaren, Tauren, Highmountain, Mag’har, and Zandalari.

Lorewise, Warlock NPCs already exist in most of these races such as Zandalari, Kul Tiran, and Highmountain (Feltotem). For the rest of them, they now have access to Mage, which should give them access to Warlock, as Warlocks, at their core when they were first introduced, are just mages who delved into the Fel in an effort to understand and control it rather than fear it.

Only a couple races would really need a lore explanation (Draenei/Lightforged Draenei/Mag’har), but even then, the same could be said about Orc Priests - which you guys held off adding as an NPC in 10.0.5 to properly explain it in a later patch. Why can’t the same be done for a Draenei Warlock trainer, add it as a playable race in 10.0.7, and if you don’t have enough time to add an NPC in 10.0.7 that gives what you consider a considerable enough explanation, then add it in 10.1 or later? (Though tbh, we have had Broken Draenei mastering the Fel since BC, it wouldn’t be unusual that some regular Draenei would learn from them, likewise, some Mag’har would have learned the arts from the non-Mag’har Orcs after spending time in Orgrimmar)

Paladin, Druid, and Shaman I understand the need to wait for unlocking - Paladins have Racial Mounts, Druids have Racial Forms, and Shaman have Racial Totems. So that’s a lot of art team time (plus the time needed to write lore to explain some of those, as those are the 3 most deeply lore rooted classes). But Warlocks have nothing of the sort.

14 Likes

Funny thing is that the Zandalari warlocks-but-not-really-but-still-warlocks were a thing in the vanilla-era lore.

1 Like