What's going on with the Community Council?

What will be their excuse next month? Seriously, there has been plenty of time for more than a few responses. Unless you’re saying they all went on a winter break for two months.

10 Likes

It’s a bad implementation again, soon someone from the Community Council will post here and say “not all the council members have been choosen”.… So why launch that section with 20-30/100 members besides that why launch this new forums just before 2 week vacation period, that just cause this kind of view from the community side.

4 Likes

I don’t think the point of the Council was dialogue. I got the impression it was just to funnel information through its members, who are supposedly people with their finger on the pulse of their given portions of the community (PvP, M+, etc.), and this would generally be better feedback for Blizzard to be aware of rather than parse everything being said everywhere.

I don’t think blizzard intended on people making 100s of wish list threads. I think their intent was they would make threads themselves on the things they wanted feedback and they expect people to provide feedback on that subject.

1 Like

Ask that next month? The fact is they probably had less than 2 weeks after they started introducing the council members and when they basically went on vacation for the holidays. Look I am not expecting much out of this either but you have to at least give them a chance. Then when they fail, you can call them out.

Here is the thing, you as a individual can answer and talk about your opinions as an individual. (and very quickly, as you have no need to ask permission to reply, double check your post with someone else or review what to say and what you can’t say with the rest of the team)

If an employee at Blizzard post something like “It’s like this” and turns out the rest of the team have a different stance, well, his reply isn’t blizzard stance and he might get some Heat due to that (like a certain Dev on MoP who posted how he didn’t agree with the nerfing of Destruction in another forum and got himself fired over the whole drama that caused).

On the other hand, let’s say a a reply who is directed towards the Combat Design Team like External cooldowns/buffs on other players in group settings - #13 by Sigma-11129 is clearly crafted around the official stance of Blizzard it probably got reviewed by more than one person in the combat design team before getting the “ok” to be posted.

I had more hope for the Community Council, but that hope have been going down for a lot of factors.

• Some of the threads just look like “General Discussion V.I.P”, it’s not the fault of the community council tough, its fault of Blizzard for opening Community Council before end of the years leave and not giving any guidelines or direction to steer the Community Council towards productivity.

• It already stirred some drama before with the prosident thing, and the community here on General Discussions have a thread almost every single day antagonizing C.Council or its members i fear the day some idea get implemented with C.C feedback and the community develops a dislike for it.

• I think ,because of the want to be productive and helpfull towards the community, Community Council quickly got flooded with a lot of threads, some might not be as relevant as others or maybe running away a little of the purpose of the C.C, but again, not the fault of the members…its blizzard lack of direction towards it.

I still have hopes for it (that external thread is one of the reasosn why i have hopes for it) but more and more i feel like blizzard might start to regret the idea, while more and more the overall community develops a distrust or dislike for the C.C

2 Likes

Unfortunately, Blizzard have become bloated. Community reps or anyone who responds to posts on the forum have to check with their boss, who checks with their boss, who checks with their boss to confirm information. Any misinformation posted will be used against Blizzard, they know that. Posting like a normal user isn’t a thing, since anything they post will be heavily scrutinized.

I’m not defending Blizzard, but anyone who has worked for a large corporation knows this. They can’t just shoot off random messages like we can there are consequences to saying the wrong thing.

3 Likes

I believe they’re busy with the holiday or striking. So it’s understandable that they wouldn’t get a lot of responses out, even if it should only take them a few minutes.

As a side note, they’re fighting for unionization (I hear), and it’s ironic because I have a feeling that Blizzard or Activision will just downsize and outsource their jobs… If that’s true everyone will suffer because of it, well, not the higher ups who will make a fortune pushing the cash shop, filling it with every stupid thing a person could want. At that point WoW will truly be dead.

Happy holidays everyone! :smiley:

Honestly, I think it was good to have the council open before the holiday break. Many people have said in this thread and other threads that opening it in early December was a mistake, but it allowed the council members to create their threads and start some discussion so that when blizzard is ready to start fully engaging with the council there is already a base of topics to reply to.

Yes some threads have responses already, but they are threads that are arguably less impactful topics (a fact that has also been pointed out on GD many times) and they now have the time to address the larger topics.

Just my opinion though

2 Likes

The Community Council was a PR stunt, and a bit of a genius one at that. It gives the illusion that Activision is doing something, gets a bunch of unpaid volunteers to do a job they 100% should be hiring people for, and takes the heat off their actual employees and gets the community arguing amongst themselves.

Nothing makes this clearer than how they treated Prosident.

7 Likes

Man ppl really care about this thing. I dont think ive even gone over to it once rofl.

Blizz is gonna blizz. No point in worryin about response rate

Edit: until i get put on it. Then itll be super important rofl. Rip im no youtuber tho

1 Like

100% this, look how many times since WoD have they had someone come out and apologize for “being wrong” and saying something to the effect of “actions speak louder than words, we’ll do better” then their actions just kept running counter to their apologies. Y’all need to start listening to Blizzard. Their actions DO speak louder than their words.

4 Likes

So if they posted something as inane as “look at me, i can poop and post!” you’d consider that acceptable? Of course not.

It’s hilarious that you people thought a CC and communication meant every post would get a personalized reaponse followed by a gift basket for all the great suggestions and an immediate promise to make that very change.

It’s a PR gimmick that will slowly be phased out as the public eye forgets about Blizzard.

Don’t kid yourself about it being anything more.

2 Likes

Blizz is absolutely under no obligation to explain themselves to the council or give people everything they want. Nor, do they have answer things in a way that finalizes a topic. They are 100% able to say things along the lines of saying this is in development and we are planning some things… etc… Not having any response at all is what is problematic for many people.

If that is the case, top management gave the approval to implement the Community Council to begin with. So they should have a had the foresight to plan on a response process in a timely fashion. I think it is very unlikely that Bobby Kotick has to sign off on everything.

Regardless, if they continue to not respond, for whatever the reason, they cant realistically have any expectation for the community council to be a success. Hopefully the other posters on this thread are correct and it is just a matter of the Holidays being a factor in the delay on some of the posts on the Community Council forum.

It’s probably due to holiday break. Nobody wanted to muddy the waters before the holidays.

Couldn’t you have perused through General Discussion and found one of the five other threads that say this exact same thing?

I think this time of year is big for the carry teams aka blizz’s bonus program, they have to make enough to pay rent AND eat.

And why do that? Why implement something like this at a time right before your entire staff isn’t going to be in the office and ready to participate? Even the two weeks it was on before any breaks were going out, they had time to respond to more than five posts.

It used to be the case that every developer would have to spend a specific amount of time on the forums per week to look for suggestions and provide feedback to the players. Now they have this “council” to give feedback, and they neglect it because, “holydaze time.”

At this point, even a canned response could have already been given, since they very well could have anticipated a lot of the questions and comments that have been floating around the forums for years now.

There are much better ways they could have handled this, and I don’t foresee it getting any better. Maybe I’ll be proven wrong, but from past experience with them removing the suggestion forums, I don’t see it going anywhere much.

1 Like

That’s a bit of a reach.

1 Like