What's going on with bgs?

i think it just is, naturally competitive people will gravitate towards PVP while cooperative people won’t. having a set winner and a set loser means that it is a competition. you can be a casual and still be competitive.

this really depends on your mindset, as someone who is naturally competitive, i find casual “there are no losers, just have fun” mentalities to be rather detestable. i remember getting upset about not winning a soccer match as a kid and some adult trying to console me by saying that i was at least playing and having fun. the thing is if you are naturally competitive the fun comes from winning, not playing. trying hard and losing is the competitive equivalent to blue balls.

Ehh not really tbh

I don’t disagree that they two cannot be intertwined. My point was that some people want stiff competition and anything else is not acceptable, which I don’t agree with.

That reinforces how I said there are various views on what is, isn’t. I have no beef with those who are highly competitive. I think it’s great that people like that exist. I wouldn’t personally let it run me. You know, those people who… how do I say this… Andrew’s father from the movie “The Breakfast Club” (any other oldies out there?).

And your soccer example immediately made me think of this movie from when I was a kid. I know it was the Carebears, some 3rd grade girl named Wendy who hated losing… I tried seeing if there was a video on Youtube but can’t find it. I know I had it on VHS. :frowning:

Being anti-twink is not being anti-competition.

Very different things. We all want competition.

you could say the same about type A and type B personalities, both look at the other like they are an alien. however we know from game theory that given a long enough time period in a zero sum game competitive personalities always win. so depending on the circumstances there is in fact a right and a wrong mentality.

I didn’t win a game until I was 14 in AYSO. I eventually made varsity, but I still had to trudge my way through the “leveling BGs” of soccer. I still gave it my all and tried my hardest, and still enjoyed the games. Trying to carry garbage is something that is fun as well as winning. I also twink.

Just my two cents.

i was goalie on two teams at the same time, both went to championships, and one even went undefeated with multiple shutouts. i did not and still don’t like losing. i don’t twink, but i have in the past, i just don’t see the appeal of shooting fish in a barrel. losing may be frustrating, but winning with no challenge is boring.

I look at many people, despite their personality like they’re aliens. It’s just to see if they ask questions.

Seriously though, I don’t feel being competitive is wrong by any means. I just feel there is a place for it and a place for the former.

Ok let me ask you a few questions. Sents you believe your right.

1. Does your ilvl scale in PvP? Do you know how it scales?

2. Does your lvl scale in PvP? If you say no how is 110 killing a few 120s?

3. What advantages do you have for getting professions? You said I was wrong.

4. Does out door PVE scale to ilvl?

5. The only time your gear is not scaled is in a dungeon/raid/PVE instants content correct?

6. How about your stats, is what you see is what you have?

7. How about the gear buff, it says it will heal blah , does it?

Keep running on that little wheel until you see or don’t. It’s whatever you doing great k e v

Good God, are people still going off about twinks??
I was just in a Bg and there was this one guy who was just 1 and 2 shotting our entire team, very few could survive the ridiculous damage this guy was doing.
He had top damage, top kills, and i thought to myself " ah ha! He must be a twink of some sort!"
A quick armory check showed him to be… wait for it…
wearing nothing but enchanted heirlooms…

Yes it’s true!
Skill + broken classes + premades were/ are a wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy bigger of a problem than a twink or two ever was.

3 Likes

What? Were you trying to say “Since you believe you’re right?”

from Engineering:
parachute
gliders
knockback/fear/mindcontrol/shield/rocketboots/cardboard assassin
out of combat rez(sometimes)
helm, if you want it.
Stealth
grenades(fire/plague/poly/siege)

from Alchemy:
Slow fall
sprint(short and long)
enhanced flasks
stealth
living action(stun-breakout and immunity)
stealth detection.

having professions is like having extra cards up your sleeve that players need to account for, and they generally won’t, giving you a tactical advantage depending on the situation.

1. I can’t speak for everyone, but I twink because having a family doesn’t give me time to raid anymore, so I have to play casually. Because of this, it was advantageous for me to seek a style of play in which I would only need to gear once and could stay relevant despite new seasons, patches, xpacs being released. Also, smashing noobs gets boring…the real fun in twinking comes from going up against another team with an equal number of twinks, and winning 1-0 in a hard-earned fight.

2. Yes, XP-on/off queues are separate now. However, some xp-off people exploit queues to get into xp-on games…this will most likely result in disciplinary action at some point, but hasn’t yet.

1 Like

I’ve stated several times that people who do it, such as yourself, are part of the crowd that were doing nothing wrong yet got lumped into the same bucket as people like this:

Your reasoning is the same as why many PVE players stick to LFR. It’s more feasible for your schedule. It’s hard for some people to comprehend that not everyone who plays this game sits here 23 hours per day (and this includes those who accomplish a lot and pretend like they play for a couple hours max per day to try making others feel inept).

1 Like

You didn’t even attempt to understand what I said.

It takes work to obtain an advantage that you can use in a battleground. Since this is an RPG, the process of obtaining gear is a meaningful one, and is in-line with the overall concept of the game.

That said, I really do not like twins - I don’t twink, and I hate running into them. And I do think there’s a reasonable argument that they shouldn’t exist. But your point is junk. You have to work hard to gain the advantage you decry, and this could lead to a sense of fun, satisfaction and self-improvement, because it’s not necessarily easy.

I agree with you, doing all that work you mentioned can bring all those things you said. But one-shot someone will never give you that feeling, at least in a real way. My point stands.

but why should everybody be held to the lowest common-denominator? why don’t you decry the level 120’s with 240k hp? it’s only a stroke of luck that blizzard implemented scaling so that you can’t literally 1-shot a level 120 with 80k hp. in years past, this was not the case, and well-geared max-level characters could essentially 1-shot max-level characters in greens. maybe it’s actually blizzard’s fault for not implementing gear-scaling in low-level battlegrounds so that people with vastly inferior gear aren’t at such a disadvantage?

Comparing 120 to leveling brackets is never a good idea. While leveling, you have 2 metrics: item level and character level. Once you’re 120, there is just 1 metric, item level.

Not to mention, those leveling brackets are where people are either new or rerolling and casually trying to learn their class, rotations, abilities, etc. Level 120 is full of people who’re already BiS or close to it and have mastered their class.

But what you’re describing is almost templates. Max level should be all about gear. However, gear shouldn’t be the determining factor of winning. That’s one of the things I look forward to in Classic. When one of my alts was freshly 60, several times, I would beat someone 1v1 who was decked in raid or WL/GM gear. Gear gave you a little edge, but not so much where people had 0 chance.

Im sorry i just cant take anything you say seriously. (I have seen many of your comments) This game is fundamentally unfair which is what makes the game fun. just because there are players who take more time into gearing their toon, (heaven forbid in a game that encourages such a thing) doesnt mean they should be prosecuted for their efforts. If your gear isnt a determining factor then what is the purpose of gearing in the first place? Efforts should be rewarded and those who dont want to put in that effort complain on forums like this, asking to be spoon fed even more mindless casual gameplay. Furthermore, those against twinks or those who believe they twink because they arent good are closed minded. not everyone enjoys end game, twinking works as a time capsule allowing for you to enjoy the game at the level you possibly enjoyed the most.

Lol glad you’re an honest twink I guess… All the other hilarious reasons don’t hold up.

As for making the game fun? Most of us disagree hence blizzard removed it. I enjoy PvP more when classes are balanced and it’s a skill vs skill game.