What would a Human Warrior offer in combat/power that a Human Paladin wouldn't?

I’m not sure there’s much functional difference between a head and a helmet when you’re a giant robot. Either way, he still shoved a sword through a slab of metal.

And I’m not even that much of a Varian fan, so it’s not like I’d try to overhype what he did.

1 Like

Organization, luck and grit. What I like about my main (Human, now Kul Tiran Warrior) is that they are the ‘everyman’. Against all odds they are able to survive through innovation, organization, martial prowess and quick thinking.

I like to think that warriors push passed their natural limits which makes them the physically strongest class. Paladins never push pass these limits because they use the light to even the odds.

Paladins very in lore obviously but they’re obviously pretty rooted in Arthurian, Knight in Shining Armor traits. Whereas Warriors in WoW are a lot more in line with legendary heroes like Achilles, Arngrim, Kaveh, Samson etc.

They don’t appear to be magic in the traditional sense. But they can smack magic aside with their strength and steel, and even shatter it with might alone.

Suffice to say a Paladin may be saved by their faith in the Light. While a Warrior is simply too angry to die. And in a blow for blow fight, I’m betting on the dude who can make gods bleed with the nothing but a well smithed weapon and focused hatred.

1 Like

Willingness to use a gun.

Well, it would seem whatever metal the Nelves made Shalamayne out of is some wickedly sharp stuff then.

Paladins very in lore obviously but they’re obviously pretty rooted in Arthurian, Knight in Shining Armor traits. Whereas Warriors in WoW are a lot more in line with legendary heroes like Achilles, Arngrim, Kaveh, Samson etc.

I suppose I understand this but honestly, as a fan of Warcraft 3, the Arthurian/Knightly vibe always seemed to mesh better with Human Warriors in my opinion. Even the classic RTS website describes the Human army as “The noble warriors of humanity”.

I suppose I’m just a fan of RPing a Human Warrior that way. The footmen/knights always seemed more prominent to me than the Paladins. I get the impression that Paladins are a much more specific sub-set of melee units.

I don’t know, I’m sure many may disagree. I think the Warrior class fantasy varies heavily depending on Warcraft race, but the “barbarian”/“berserker” theme seems out of place as a Human Warrior.

I mean in terms of RP you’re good for w/e. I play my undead warrior as a Vargul Berserker as presented by broken Orcish, growth potions and every viking helmet I can find.

WoW warriors are superhuman. They’re the fantasy version of this https://youtu.be/sFigpcJWhCY

To be fair, the scourge were never meant to defeat the Argent Dawn. Just pose a large enough threat so Tirion showed up. So Arthas could turn him into a Death Knight (this is something that the Death Knights were not aware of). In fact if it wasn’t for Darion breaking free from the Lich Kings control, thus throwing the Ashbringer to Tirion. Arthas would’ve won.

Highlord Tirion Fordring says: Your master knows what lies beneath the chapel. That is why he dares not show his face! He’s sent you and your death knights to meet their doom, Darion.

The Lich King says: You were right, Fordring. I did send them in to die. Their lives are meaningless, but yours… How simple it was to draw the great Tirion Fordring out of hiding. You’ve left yourself exposed, paladin. Nothing will save you.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Light_of_Dawn_(quest)

So to paint it as some kind of victory for “paladins” and only “paladins” is incorrectly reading the scene.

in a word- anger

Less of a one-dimensional morality.

So warriors are basically Doomguy…they have no problem ripping someones spinal cord out and beating another person to death with it if they run out of weapons. And well, the whole rage/anger thing.

1 Like

Rip and tear, friends.

2 Likes

In a world where the power of gods and magic are harnessed to wage war and heal wounds, a warrior is someone who wades into battle without all that, screams really loud and starts cutting things down left and right. These are your tacticians that make the impossible happen.

Falling from a great height? Sure, a mage can slow your descent to allow you to softly land after a short delay, but a warrior just jumps at the ground harder to crush the laws of physics in their favor. That paladin is stepping back from the fight to heal his wounds? The warrior next to him is sustaining himself on pure rage and the blood of his enemies. “Man too angry to die” perfectly describes these terrifying combatants. These are men and women who look at a 2-handed weapon requirement and decide that it’s a suggestion at best. Gnomish choppers doing nothing but air-dropping warriors into the enemy back lines somehow forces Fortunate Son to start playing.

Actually, as I’ve pointed out, their trraditions are more rooted in Charlemagne than Arthur.

The use of guns.

Violence, pure unadulterated violence. Doing everything in your power to stop or kill whatever is in front of you.

Yeah. And the implication from the end of wotlk is that the light didn’t even defeat him to begin with; he never wanted to kill Tirion at Light’s Hope. He wanted Tirion to lead everyone against him so he could harvest the strongest of motherfathers.

1 Like

Based on many warrior abilities, I’d say in headcanon that warriors actually have some superhuman traits that would allow them to do many things beyond that of an ordinary footman.

Besides, if you want to play a character based on lore power level, I believe believe you can do much better than paladin. After all, why play a magical warrior that is the paladin when you can be, say, a warlock, and summon a multitude of magic wielding monsters to fight for you, all while sitting back and throwing fel fire at someone.