What we’d like to see in a developer update

Again they don’t do this for xpac launches, thinking they change their approach for classic is quite a stretch. Sure would it be cool? Absolutely, but if we’re being honest with ourselves we should expect their usual information release schedule. Which is mostly everything will be given to us a couple of months before the release.

They also don’t want people to stop talking about it, if their implementations they choose to make are not what that particular person would want.

I agree with what you’re saying, just wishful thinking. I definitely agree that them not saying much is building a ton of excitement and planning and theory crafting but I still want a little attention from a blue.

Re-releasing 14 year old content is not remotely the same as unknown content of an upcoming expansion.

Releasing any content is the same thing. What if what they release, people won’t like? Why risk bad publicity when people will give you free publicity by continuing to talk about it.

For example, if Blizzard right now said AV will be like it was in 1.12, certain people will not be happy. Why even bother with that?

Releasing known content and releasing unknown content is vastly different. To answer “why even bother?”, because when going shopping for a known selection of products, consumers find it valuable to know what the selection consists of. I do not want to drive all the way to the store for my favorite iceburg lettuce and find that when I get there they substituted it with ebola-riddled romaine. I personally will be judging the worth of classic on what version of AV they go with. Not going to wait till a few months into the game to see what they went with.

Yeah the store doesn’t care about that, because they will hope you buy another product if the product you wanted is not there. This is the entire idea behind door busters.

If you want to see why Blizzard wont release content is just look at:

Look how that turned out when the CM said it will have a subscription.

They most likely won’t even tell you what version AV we’re getting until the next patch drops anyways.

Counterpoint: Look at how the “D4” announcement at Blizzcon went over. If you are going to be giving consumers something completely different from what they desire and are getting hyped for, and in fact act like you have no clue what it is they desire, you best communicate that to them earlier.

Blizzard said in advance that the Diablo announcement at Blizzcon was not D4. While I agree I think the Diablo Immortal fiasco was terrible and how they even talked about it in their share holder meeting was laughable. However they tried to warn their fan base that D4 wasn’t going to be a thing at Blizzcon.

Well they clearly need to work on their communication, judging by the backlash.

You can’t communicate with irrational people who get upset when they don’t get what they want. The above post clearly shows that as well. CM said it will have a sub cost, people flammed, CM closed the thread.

It works both ways. In this case though Classic has been relieved, which is way more than what the Diablo community got. What’s in stored though they most likely will make us wait. They themselves probably don’t really know and are trying to figure out what they can and can’t do.

I don’t see how releasing this going to help when 1 choice is a crowd favorite, the other is a crowd hatred, but ultimately the crowd hatred is chosen because it’s the only one they could do.

1 Like

It keeps coming up, and AV is possibly the single most important piece of content to know the status of for Classic. In fact, they could release the original version of it standalone with premades and it would tide us over for a long time before Classic’s release. If it is dumbed down any, we need to know.

5 Likes

Agreed. The WORST they could do is release with 1.12 AV and claim that we never gave them sufficient feedback.

The problem I feel was the timeline.

First: Blizzard says “Hey, big Diablo news at Blizzcon!”
Second: Blizzcon tickets go on sale.
Third: Two weeks before Blizzcon (after everyone has already bought their ticket, made their travel plans, booked hotels, taken vacation, etc), Blizzard says “hey maybe don’t expect D4”.

The announcement that it wasn’t D4 was made too late to do any good for the people who were actually there.

Anyway, on-topic: We’ve already had better communication since Blizzcon than we did in the year before it. Ythisens has been here and has contributed in a positive way, both with sharing information and with letting us know that information was passed on to the developers. I don’t feel like we need specific status reports from the developers, particularly not monthly; we’re potential customers, not their bosses.

1 Like

Ohh I agree about the DI thing. It could have gone a lot better. But people still thought going in D4 was being relieved. But still the DI announcement was one of Blizzards lowest points.

I think Quins reaction to DI is how most people felt:

It would be cool if some of the devs behind the project would start doing a live dev Q&A once per month leading up to launch, like they do with retail. Wouldn’t even need to to be an hour–a half hour or less would be fine. Just something to touch base with us.

Remember the good ol days when we didn’t have any news at all for months?

Holy crap that’s a lot of bugs.

What news have we gotten beyond the sparingly vacuous info from the annual blizzcon? Besides retail subs getting classic for free and potential summer release, what actual questions of substance were answered?

Yeah we didn’t even get that we had the announcement that Classic was going to be a thing and then dead silence for months I want to say for about 5 months minimum it could be more I can’t even remember.

Was more of a shoutout to those who’ve been here since the beginning. Starting to not recognize many of you anymore.

When does beta start is likely what most of want to know.