What Was Your "Hell" Spot in Vanilla?

1 Like

yea, wailing caverns is the cave with all jumps, where hunters pulled the entire place with their pets, good times !

Only bad hunters, the rest of us dismissed the pet then jumped … unless we didn’t like you them BAM ! you get the whole instance.

PvP server Stranglethorn Vale is the very definition of “love/hate.” I love–absolutely love–that zone. But what really gets to me are those days where nothing gets done because you are just getting worked left and right by gankers, mobs, etc.

It’s like that line from the movie, Rules of Engagement: “Do you know what the average life expectancy was for a 2nd Lieutenant dropped into a hot LZ in Vietnam?”

Probably Herod and his general area. Such great loot but damn there were so many times that we would just barely kill him and then find ourselves wiped by his monks. What a time!

It’s been so long since those days…I’m actually having trouble recalling what areas were difficult. To be fair, as a Hunter, most places were pretty …

GAAAAASP

Oh, I remember now.

Stonetalon Mountains… hiss

Windshear Crag was pretty dope to leave the winding canyons and empty out into this massive, open basin with a goblin base suspended up on scaffolding running along the cliff side to a huge waterfall. Only good place about that god forsaken zone.

Edit: Thousand Needles was pretty hell, too. I think all of Southern Kalimdor was a hell hole, to be honest, but a very pretty one.

Good place to farm Jungle Remedy though, it cures poison and disease at any level before Blizzard added level restrictions to those types of things in the newer expansions.

For me it wasn’t so much a zone as it was a level range (Though hillsbrad can burn, stupid spider parts and any quest having to do with bear bladders) any character I made could get to 20 pretty easily, but getting to 40 was grueling and I always knew if character made it to 40, it would make it to 60 no problem.

I had a love hate relationship with Red Ridge mountains, specifically the Blackrock orcs and the Gnolls, lots of mob density but a pretty zone and a fun zone, if you have 1-2 friends with you it will probably end up being one of your favorite areas in the game, same goes for Raven Hill

Ungoro Crater, all the mobs in that zone suck for melee.

Diematradons have a slow and strength/stam nerf
Pterrodax will fear you into more mobs
Slimes will split
Tar Elementals bind you and are immune to poison/bleed
Same with Thrashers
Gorilla thunderers have an OP instant cast spell

this is all going on around the time that you’re underleveled for everything because there isn’t a good zone for 48-52, so you either have to hop around 5 different zones doing a few quests or bite the bullet and do quests with mobs 3+ levels higher than you.

This isn’t even mentioning the three story tall dinosaurs that somehow sneak up on you all the time, nor that it has one of the absolute worst graveyard runs in the game.

2 Likes

Stranglethorn Vale, but that’s because I was on a PvP server. It should be far less painful in Classic for me. xD

Blasted Lands!

Spent an eternity outside the Alliance keep there, farming black feathers off the buzzards; I needed 40 of the friggin’ things just to make a pair of shoulders, I think they were called Iron Feather shoulders! Killing scorpids while waiting for the buzzards to respawn! It was a Nightmare of Boredom! :stuck_out_tongue:

I levelled as a warrior, wasn’t too bad. But for me it was any time I ran into Silithids, those little blighters always had a few tricks up their sleeves, from spawning adds, to dropping eggs that hatched, to calling for help for anything within 30 yards range. They always messed me up.

King Mosh sneaking up on you in Un’Goro. May as well just sit down when he runs at you and make it quick.

2 Likes

Silithus.

Nothing good has ever come out of Silithus.

Thanks for reminding me of those demon bugs. I thought I expunged them from my memory. God I hated those things wherever they were found. Of course, my first experience with them was in Shimmering Flats and I knew there was something off about them, something that set them apart from scorpids or spiders I faced up to that point.

The kobold cave in human starting area will quickly become a crowd favorite. :rofl:

1 Like

Didn’t she appear with all her squad when you opened the grave? Pretty sure I’ve got it right, and yes it was horrible.

1 Like

I remember getting ganked by those orcs hiding behind the rocks as you went up the hill.

my 10th hour of av i can only take so much…lol.