What Was the Purpose of Zelling, Anyway?

Which I personally really hope we get to see.
I have high hopes for Derek. Fished him up from the bottom of the sea and then rescued and returned him to his family at the risk of my life.
He owes me.

1 Like

Yes yes, it was a slight exaggeration. But for the amount of buildup he had, it seemed like his story was cut off extremely abruptly. All that stuff about his family just … ended, without seeming to have any particular point.

I remember hearing that Runas’s story was supposed to go on further but was cut short because they ran out of development time. Maybe Zelling was caught up in that same time crunch?

Maybe, but wasn’t that covered sufficiently in BtS?

The Horde sees surprisingly little of her too, from what I hear. She just doesn’t dominate the expansion the way she dominates conversation about the expansion.

1 Like

Not everyone buys every single book associated with this franchise.

3 Likes

From what I remember hearing, Runas was originally supposed to get too mana hungry and betray you, and instead they just wrote him off as dying instead. If it’s true, I’d think this is a case where cut content actually improved the storyline because his ending was a hell of a lot better than the cliche corruption angle everyone is used to.

13 Likes

Once you get to Zandalar you see Sylvanas on the Banshee’s Wail when you begin the war campaign, at Rastakhan’s funeral, twice during the Saurfang questline if you aren’t a loyalist (when she sends you after Saurfang and then the Mak’gora), when she kills Zelling, and during the Zandalari recruitment scenario.

I think you see her once or twice more, but I can’t quite remember since most of her appearances were spaced out by months at a time if you did them as they became available.

Mostly you spend time getting orders from the Zandalari and Nathanos.

I don’t know if she’s there for people now, but you also got to listen to her talk a bit in the embassy when you started the Mag’har recruitment questline because she likes how expendable they will be.

And no, to my memory, nobody comments on her saying that.

2 Likes

I thought the “expendable” line was only on the PTR, and they decided it sounded a little too evil even for Sylvanas? Unfortunately, I can’t double-check because she’s not in the embassy for me anymore.

Disagree. I don’t play Forsaken for Sylvanas, never did. I didn’t read BTS so I don’t know anything or care about the Desolate Council though.

Nothing you’re written there disagrees with what you’ve quoted.

I assumed the implication was that most fans of the race subscribe to it for Sylvanas because she represents Forsaken independence.

I think the Desolate Council was more popular with Alliance players not because it was some Alliance sympathizer group or something, but rather just because it wasn’t Sylvanas.

2 Likes

Zelling and the whole horde campaign was a waste just something they threw together. Horde spent whole campaign setting him up and getting that scepter for him to get instantly smoked and the scepter taken and used by the alliance! Then we had to destroy it…waste of time.

5 Likes

It was stupid on the Alliance side too. We staged that suicide mission to distract your forces and what did we do with it? How did we honor those lives thrown away? By doing absolutely nothing because the Alliance is too pure to finish off a grieving people.

5 Likes

everything in the horde dies or is forgotten bro.

1 Like