What was the point of Tyrande in SL?

Every time I visit the forums and see Bolvar staring at me, I can’t help but wonder why.

4 Likes

What was the point of … SL

I wish anyone knew.

7 Likes

The shadows of Lo’sho

A few people have either joked or theorized that Nathanos is either Danuser’s stand-in or a self-insert (like Thrall for Metzen, but less wholesome).

Well said.

A lot less wholesome :laughing:

1 Like

Makes sense.

please get back to work and continue this story properly because damn you resolved that story poorly.

Wanted to say I saw this from Ian:

Which would make sense from what we’ve seen about about the night elves since cataclysm. It also make sense why Tyrande was so pointless to Shadowlands and why the night warrior thing seemed to be an afterthought in BfA.

He also mentions how that some wanted to make the forsaken more scourge-like instead of what they were in vanilla, which make sense in how they were just generically evil in BfA and Teldrassil was almost immediately burned after Metzen left. They could have burned Teldrassil, but they didn’t need to add genocide to it as well. They chose to however.

This all kind of tracks with how people who like the night elves have sensed a lot of the devs hatred for the race for a long time now, and why every time they show up it’s just kind of pointless or for them to get killed off.

22 Likes

Any time I say “only Metzen understood the appeal of The Horde” (which didn’t go far enough, evidently—probably just Warcraft in general), immediately: but Green Jesus Thrall, Metzen was awful. Always leaves me scratching my head a bit. I feel like if you didn’t like Metzen’s Warcraft you probably never liked Warcraft.

17 Likes

Yeah, I think people have to realize Metzen was more than just Cata Thrall, I didn’t like Cata Thrall either, but Metzen has always kind of been the heart of warcraft and I think most people agree he was a great world builder. At Blizzcon too no one really matched his excitement for the franchise, and even though I felt like he favored the horde, he still liked the alliance as well, something I can’t say at all about the current dev team, they might favor a character like Anduin or Sylvanas and use them as their mouthpiece, but they don’t really have any respect or love for the different cultures as a whole that make the warcraft races interesting.

16 Likes

I would say she got a lot more story, screen time or content than someone like Baine or Thrall

2 Likes

Between this, Kosak’s twitter post about why he hates Tyrande, the rabid fanboyism/fangirlsim towards Sylvanas (plus other certain characters coughIllidancough) and their desire for playable Scourge, sounds like Blizzard, or at least the WoW, dev team is overstuffed with edgelords.

This would explain a lot.

Is it crazy how often we agree on aspects of WoW?

9 Likes

I wanna see this.

5 Likes

Maybe not the Twitter but the time he considered the ALP Tyrande as her real WC3 self, because she was gung-ho, impulsive and irrational apparently, and those were the “roots” of her character.
Also said that she was a good foil to Varian, because apparently Varian had “been through a lot” and understood patience better than she did.

4 Likes

Since blizz does hate the Night elves, which people have been claiming since Cata. It only confirms my fears of how they feel about the Worgen, since they’re also allies/attached to the Night Elves via the worgen curse.

Sometimes being right isn’t a good feeling :wolf:

8 Likes

The who? Who are these… War-Gens?

Oh. Oh, I get it. You meant that outfit Genn was wearing in the Battle for Lordaeron. The “War Genn” outfit!!

Naw, don’t be afraid, we’ll kill off Genn, the only surviving Gilnean, and let everyone wear the “War Genn” outfit as xmog.

8 Likes

That made me chuckle. Not gonna lie :wolf: :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

First, I agree, Tyrande’s purpose seems solely to have the vengeance or renewal aspect (and end the Night Warrior thread that was going nowhere). Uther covered that on his own as well (basically vengeance = bad, but justice is okay, I guess?).

Second though, let me ask you a question. What was the point of BFA and Shadowlands? Quite literally, what did we (as players, as a franchise, as whatever) gain from these two expansions?

7 Likes

BFA was about a renewal of re-affirming the Horde identity crisis.

This originally occurred over a decade ago with WC3 that many new players don’t even know about. Blizzard re-did that storyline by having the Horde commit something horrific and then stand against it.

Of course they completely butchered the execution but that was what was intended. Why do you think they made all those Saurfang cinematics?
As for Alliance I guess the purpose was to also re-affirm why the alliance need to stick together. To deal with both the Horde and any other threats.

This was our basic introduction and starting point back in vanilla, and after so many years of cataclysm and Vanilla being lost to time, they needed to revisit these for the new audience.

I guess their idea was, if WC3 was so popular back in the day then it will be popular again.

Yeah that would definitely explain a lot. But you definitely have to be kind of edgy to think up something like the path of glory. I don’t know if that was first in a book or put into the game, but you could see people who love the idea of playable scourge adding that even back then.

Edit: Also don’t forget even back during the BfA PTR, I posted this in that sylvanas thread, but WoT was going to be rounding up night elf civilians and just executing them in Auburdine or the forsaken running death camps in 8.1.

Luckily those got changed.

lol a little bit, yeah.

Yeah, I think maybe they like using Genn as a character to show up and be anduin’s angry side, but as a whole I don’t think they like worgen. But I also think to a more general point they don’t really like the different cultures of the different races and want to kind of homogenize everything. Turning everyone on the alliance into humans was something I’ve felt they were doing for a long time (especially with night elves), because that is easier to write.

And yeah that is a very bad feeling! Imagine having a pessimistic view of the nelf story since cata and for the most part being right lol

Oh yeah this I couldn’t answer you, I couldn’t answer why someone like Jaina or Baine are in the shadowlands either, they were pointless as well. The only point to shadowlands I can see is to try to explain away what Sylvanas did, even if it means throwing all the other characters in the cast under the bus to do it.

Also going back to my thing about trying to destroy the different cultures for the different races, I think it’s to try to kind of “put an end” to the different spiritualities or religions of the different races so all the races can essentially be written the same just with pallet swaps.

This? I remember he did his own little web stories or something before he worked at blizzard where his dwarf ran around Darnassus naked knocking out sentinels, this was before he started working there. I also remember him having to make that post about why the alliance questing in cata was so bad lol.

12 Likes