What questions do the writers need to answer immediately in early SL?

This is exactly correct.

You’re right on that account, though. I think before we go into SL we need to be shown more of what Calia and Anduin’s deals are and have some assurances that the world isn’t going to bend around their ideals. Anduin’s failure to keep good relations with the night elves is one good sign that they might be going in that direction, though.

2 Likes

Man, they really are trying make her look like a villain.

Isn’t that a good thing? We want her to be a villain so we have less of a chance she’s gonna get the Kerrigan treatment? Its already pretty apparent by Uther, Jaina, and Calia being in the Shadowlands that Arthas is primed for some sort of redemption story … lets prey Sylvie doesnt get one.

8 Likes

Monologuing is another example of “tell, not show.” That niche Blizzard is known for?

Just sounds like writers throwing in the towel and admitting they failed basic storytelling 101 for this expansion even earlier this time.

9 Likes

On your first parragraph i believe any answer we receive for those questions would be stale, id rather know more about the jailer and the residents of the shadowlands.

on your second question i honestly dont think we have like big questions that have to be answered inmediatly, we have the big bad, we are going to kill him hopefully, standard wow formula we just have to enjoy the journey.

The big question from bfa was how the trainwreck was going to end? there was a constant worry since they had to appease lots of people and everyone was worried to be left out and… yea we already knew what happened.

personally? i dont have the same expectations from shadowlands so i dont need anything answered like, right now.

Im trying not to be judgemental since if we look it from a different point of view this is them addressing the concerns and failings from the story on bfa but its like… really hard to do so with all the lies they tell, about the narrative and about the mechanics.

remember that thread that pellex made? i feel dirty every time i see it.

3 Likes

Now I want Anduin and Sylvanas to do the “you can’t trap justice” exchange from Megamind.

2 Likes

For Shadowlands specifically, I’d like to know what Sylvanas’ motives have been, and what the Jailer’s goal is. I’d like those pretty early on. Like, the first content patch being the absolute latest. It’s ridiculous that we’ll have gone for the entirety of BfA without knowing why Sylvanas put that conflict into motion to begin with.

8 Likes

Yeah, I’m sure an NPC will just drop in and explain that one…

Oh don’t pretend you’re engaging in the thread in good faith. You knew damn well that wasn’t what the thread was about and are just trying to derail the conversation to your own unrelated grievances.

4 Likes

It’s not even really an implication, it’s outright stated that the Shadowlands are infinite and you can see an unending sea of gateways to other realms within the Shadowlands when you’re at the top of Oribos.

Spoiler

All of which are shut while the Arbiter is snoozing and unresponsive.

3 Likes

Isn’t this just an example of garbage writing?

Blizzard promised one thing with Sylvanas then immediately did the opposite, and when the response was overwhelmingly negative they started dangling some vague ‘mystery’ as a way to string people along.

Blizzard has done plenty of mysteries and people have been happy with them. It’s just the Sylvanas garbage people don’t like.

4 Likes

Yes and no.

I think one issue was that they completely misscalculated what players want and did a complete trainwreck with BFA but the story and the contentpatches aswell as the direction of the next expansion was allready developed and worked on, so changing things drasticly and completely was not possible anymore.

If you thought you would build a boat but the customer actually wants a car, yet you nearly finished the boat, all you can possibly do is to build some wheels under it and call it a boatmobile.

So one reson for their vague bahaviour might be that in that case they could at least do some minor changes to the storyline.
For exmaple: Sylvans was meant to be redeemed and a hero. But players would hate that. So instead of just playing that storyine they just played none and siad it is still a mystery. To buy them time to reert it and build another one.

I hope I could explain what I mean.

BFA looks to me like WoD, where a lot of content and ideas were just scaped because it didn’t suite anymore.

One idea would be we have had datamines of warfronts in Silvermoon and Barrens. But they might have been related to the old storyline players would hate.
So they scraped it completely and redesign it and we will then see them under a new narrative in SL.

The problem wasn’t holding things close to the chest, it was doing so in spite of the fact it was blatantly obvious and easy to predict very early on.

3 Likes

It follows the formula they been doing with expansions though, crap one(BC), great one(Wrath), crap(Cat), good(MoP), crap(WoD), good (Legion) and steaming pile of crap(BfA)

1 Like

I doubt those were scrapped for story reasons. Warfronts were not popular gameplay events.

1 Like

Artefact power or orderhalls weren`t either and we now get the 3rd iteration of it.
They spent a vast amount of ressources into this tech and will reuse it.
They might do adjustments so the SL warfronts might work a bit differently.

Not saying that the story was the sole reason but it was one reason and it suites the direction.

Does this annoy anyone else? It feels like blizzard knows they are running out of things to possibly keep players really interested so they have to dangle certain carrots in front of us so we’re remotely curious and somewhat invested.

Elune? She’s always been a mystery i’d love to know more about.

Sylvanas well she was my racial leader for a decade and kicked this all off, if not for her I prob wouldn’t be all that interested in this xpac

Night elf souls? Well players gotta know what happened after making the horde playerbase participate in a mass purge of a playable rival factions race.

Yet knowing blizzard they’ll like always try and string things along for as long as they can before players legitimately get pissed off

Sylvanas whole deal. no questions unanswered. They said they would answer it in bfa but didnt.

(and no you shouldnt have to buy a book for this answer)

I am not talking about the literal deal, but just the stuff she has been up to since she first met the jailor etc.

My guess is they will probably have the cinematic start off with a flashback to when she first met the jailor

i dont know, i believe we better leave her as a mistery, sometimes its better not to know your heroes/gods, lest you get dissapointed.

1 Like

Yah we should, but for her to remain a mystery blizzard has to not push or mention her too much, but knowing blizzard they’ll soon go all in and reveal what Elune is and ruin the magic of why people like her.

They’re already starting to ruin it in my eyes, like Saving Ysera okay that’s fine (Legion), Somehow saving Malfurion from Saurfang hmmm little sus (BFA), Her making all the night elfs burning feel nothing it’s great (BFA) but full stop there they shouldn’t have had her do more at all for atleast the rest of the xpac.

But then we got her making tyrande the Avatar of Vengeance (BFA) and it’s like…okay…she was mysterious before when she rarely helped but now it just feels like she can do it if you either pray hard enough, she feels like it or force her too.

1 Like