What makes PvP gear different?

I saw a post on this topic from about a year ago but wanted to be sure I understand this.

What is different about PvP gear? Does it have some extra PvP stat on it that doesn’t apply in PvE? I remember it was a like that a long time ago but thought they took it out of the game.

Also, is gear normalized or something in PvP now? I thought it was like that the last time I played but am wondering if it is still the case.

Thank you!

There is no PvP stat, but all PvP gear scales up in ilvl in PvP combat and it is all pretty heavily weighted with versatility, which kinda takes the place of a PvP stat I guess. Honor gear which is so cheap and easy to get that it is basically free already scales to heroic raid ilvl, and conquest gear which is available to anyone who PvPs without any rating gates will be the same ilvl as the gear that drops from the last boss in the mythic raid, basically the highest ilvl possible.

The ilvl alone would make it BiS, but outlier PvE items like trinkets and weapons are usually also heavily nerfed in PvP these days, so there isn’t really a need to use them. Combine that with the PvP trinket bonus which is massive, and there is really no reason to ever use PvE gear for basically everyone.

Also, to answer your last question, gear is not normalized in the sense that you still have to farm it, but the best gear is available to anyone who PvPs without any rating gates or requirements other than just collecting conquest points which can be done even in unrated PvP. Everyone should end up in the same gear by the end of the season, BG heroes and r1 arena players alike.

2 Likes

Thank you for such a quick reply and clear explanation! That answers my question!

if purchased with honor/conquest its “pvp gear”.
if i farm sl raids for 285’s but use it in bgs on a capped level 60 its also pvp gear.
call it whatever you want.