What keeps you playing?

Lately, I’ve felt as if that spark that’d once kept me attached to World of Warcraft for so long has been steadily fading since the end of Legion, dwindling patch by patch. Month after month, I feel more reluctant to renew my subscription now that most my friends haven’t been online for well over two months and the ones that are don’t do much content such as raids, mythic+ and Player Vs. Player.

But yet, that euphoric sense of returning to the roots, to the Faction war, had me jubilant and excited! I, unlike many, actually enjoy(ed) Player Vs. Player and outright refused to turn off Warmode for nearly the entire Darkshore patch! The thrill of always being in danger was a huge draw for me. Darkshore was amazing and I’ve never had so much fun battling it out with hundreds of players. But unfortunately, Blizzard servers couldn’t keep up and soon kicked the bucket. My enjoyment, broken. Nevertheless, I continued onward with Warmode for the entirety of Darkshore. But, that fire faded slowly and when Warmode numbers fell and fell, there was hardly any danger to be had. Everybody moved on and so too did I. I stopped random battlegrounds soon after, restro shaman just wasn’t feeling right for me. I tried the damage roles, but those too felt like they were mere fragments of their former selves.

Now everything seems not worth the effort. I could level an alt, but why? That heritage armor sets look nice, but that’s it. I could raid, but the RNG makes me anger and feels like not truly earning something. Battlegrounds, why bother? I got tried of world quests back in Legion and straight-up would refuse to do them. Killing the same rare time and time again wasn’t appealing. Now, I kinda just drift on World of Warcraft. Sometimes, I’ll attempt to level up an alt from time to time and do a raid or two with my friends. But, last month I set my gametime run out for two weeks straight and only recently renewed it.

Does anybody have any ideas? Any goals they set for themselves whilst adventuring their merry way across Azeroth? Any one thing that keeps them playing the game they’ve played for so long? I would love to hear them. Perhaps find something to bring me back into that Warcraft mood. :grinning:

2 Likes

Transmog collecting, mount collecting, pet collecting, title collecting. Oh, and did I mention transmog collecting?

5 Likes

I always like to level up new alts to experience the different questing zones

I don’t much now, I’ve also cancelled my sub after the whole blizzcon dibocal. I don’t like the road activision is forcing down our throats.

2 Likes

Because I am still having fun playing the game I pay for.

I can see the appeal of that. However, I think my current transmog is perfect. I’ve many rare and even hardly seen mounts & pets. I could, perhaps, find more?

Habit/lack of options/boredom…

Hasn’t been fun for quite some time.

2 Likes

Transmog keeps me going most of the time. I’m no fashionista irl, but in game I am Prada and Gucci. There are only so many things in the game that keep me alive such as finding that perfect shoulder to match the unique set you’ve been building for a week or two.

Switching main every month

1 Like

Red Dead Redemption 2 is not on PC and the current state of PC gaming is dead.

I think I switch mains everyday now.

I paid for a LOT of sub-time in Legion.

As for actually playing outside of logging in to raid? The vague hope that these failing businessmen realize they are shooting themselves in the foot and start making the game fun again.

That and RP.

OCD.

/moo :cow:

1 Like

I’m still enjoying myself enough to keep playing… and a couple friends still play that I chat with. I’m not really having a lot of fun in BFA though and am mostly doing little pets and older content. (shrug)

:cookie:

4 Likes

Raiding and daily quests keep me playing.

I’m sure. Raiding, ‘BGing’ and doing mythic+ with friends makes everything better.

Can’t be inactive when you’re a GM.

Well you can but then you’re a crappy GM

1 Like

Getting 1800 transmog in pvp - Check
Get 300 arena wins tabard - Check
Only play because my wife plays still and gets me to help with her daily wow routines - Forever Check

2 Likes

1.) A new fascination with the lore. I started reading the books for the first time ever, and I’ve always been a lore hog (don’t get me started on GoT or Middle Earth). I love the deeper lore-based fabric of my fantasy universes, and WoW has a decent one. They got started late in making up the lore. They’ve made some sloppy missteps and occasionally betrayed their own canon, but the universe is MASSIVE, and the stories are very good. Vol’Jin and the troll history alone would be compelling enough, but almost every race in Azeroth/Draenor has a compelling story and history. I’d like to see some more love given to the goblins and gnomes, but I keep hoping.

Playing the game helps me put pieces together from what I’ve read, and I find childlike pleasure in recognizing lore characters ingame or recognizing in a book/short story a name I’ve seen on NPC’s for years.

2.) BfA, like all the expansions before it, is beautiful in its own way and fun to get lost in.

3.) Fishing. I haven’t done every fishing achievement/activity there is to do, and I love fishing in WoW. /shrug. I get that a lot of people hate it/don’t get it/find it boring/find it infuriating that it’s even in the game…but I love it.

4.) Swapping factions to get both stories. I love my Horde toons. I love my Alliance toons.

5.) Memories of playing with friends and enjoying the friends I still have ingame.

6.) WoW is still, for me, the most immersive and rewarding multiplayer RPG on offer today. I tend to enjoy single-player games just as much, but they don’t last as long, and I can’t play them with friends.

2 Likes

I will one day get the Chad Alliance Knight armor like yours.

One of these days…