What is wrong with an evil Horde?

The problem with it is that many people who play the Horde did so because of WC3 where they were very much no longer the evil Horde. Since WoW, too, the Horde was never evil. It has its morally questionable moments, but it was never defined by total evil other than in the minds of those who played it that way in their personal fantasies because of WC1 and 2. So It’s too late to suddenly introduce an honest “Good vs Evil” “Jedi vs Sith” dynamic with the factions in my opinion.

15 Likes

If they were going to make an evil Horde, the time to do it was launch day, 2004. That time has long passed. We have gone too long with a Horde that is billed as something else to switch now without ticking off a massive number of people, myself included.

38 Likes

We had two whole games with evil Horde during the RTS and then basically BfA was essentially evil Horde, though they tried their hardest to make both sides morally equitable with a whole lot of telling and not showing.

Player factions in the context of WoW don’t work with a good and evil format for either one, because an evil faction would logically ally with a lot of the villains we’ve killed, as opposed to fighting against them. The factions fight evil groups, they aren’t supposed to be evil themselves, because otherwise the good faction has no reason to keep them intact at all.

Moreover, what makes Warcraft as a franchise unique is specifically turning typical fantasy tropes on their head, and Blizzard’s decline in writing has been mirrored by a significant crutching on those much more common fantasy tropes instead of those that made the franchise really take off in popularity in the first place.

Orcs that weren’t evil to start, but corrupted and manipulated, and are striving to regain their lost heritage.

Minotaurs (tauren) that are inherently peaceful and nature loving in spite of their monstrous strength and size.

Trolls that aren’t just dumb brutes living under bridges, but actually cunning with a very fleshed out culture and a varied past history.

Undead who aren’t just mindless evil zombies, but a darker themed people broken from the yoke of a power, malevolent force, trying to find their place in the world.

Blood elves also had a pretty unique concept for a brief, shining moment before TBC ended.

These themes are what really made the franchise stand out, it’s no accident that Warcraft really exploded in popularity in the third iteration of it, that was when all those unique concepts were first put forth. Chipping away at those themes only marginally worked in Cata and MoP, but since then it’s been a decline in both what makes the Horde itself, and what defines the various races. Arguably that decline started in Cata, though.

16 Likes

Blizzard doesn’t know how to write dark characters without making them full psycho, imagine batman or ghost rider written by blizzard lol, they would be instant raid boss

2 Likes

They really didn’t. :smiling_imp:

13 Likes

“I FEEL LIED TO,” POST-BFA VERSION - Take a gander at this.

Personally, I think the simplification of the Horde as the “evil” faction is uninteresting and just feeds into the notion that this is a story of blue (good guys) vs red (bad guys).

The Horde warchief having nefarious schemes is a story beat we’ve seen before. BfA was an opportunity for nuance and a “morally gray” narrative and they squandered that.

18 Likes

Well, let me just say that I switch to Alliance because of Blizzard making the Horde evil. And I know I’m not a alone.

Similarly, all the people who I know personally, or in my old guild, didn’t like the evil Horde either.

1 Like

One thing for Alliance players who like to push the “evil Horde” spin.

The only plot Blizzard has used in recent memory is that “evil” strikes a massive and horrible blow. The plucky heroes then rally against the appearantly overwhelming odd to prevail.

This is plot of BfA, where Blizzard decided to make the Horde evil. So if you liked Teldrassil, they you will love Blizzard keeping the Horde evil. If not be careful of what you wish for.

2 Likes

The problem with “Evil Horde” is that it is not what Blizzard sold to Horde players from the start. Even now, Blizzard’s own descriptions of the factions paint each one in a heroic light, so if you make the Horde actually, legitimately evil, then that is pulling a massive (and unfair) bait-and-switch on Horde players.

29 Likes

Because it’s not what they pitched to the playerbase from the get go. No one faction was meant to be good or evil.

An important thing to realize is that World of Warcraft and Warcraft III’s development were partly simultaneous - initially, the Horde was meant to be the “evil” faction (which is why there was a dissonance with the Forsaken’s Vanilla themes), but during development it was decided that the Orcish Warchief would take on a more traditionally heroic role, and the blonde-haired Human Prince would be the villain of the story. It threw a sudden twist after two RTS games where the Horde was more traditionally evil - the Horde could be heroes just as much as the Alliance could be villains, neither side became relegated to one role.

Take a look at The Old Republic on the flipside. Star Wars is a franchise that’s been going on for decades, but from the get go, they’ve kept one thing thematically consistent - the Sith are the villains, and the Republic are the heroes. There have been instances where this balance has been called into question, but ultimately nothing that draws such a heavy parallel as World of Warcraft. Because of this, people who play Sith KNOW what they’re getting into from the start.

Had WoW stuck to its original plan and gone with an evil Horde and a heroic Alliance, then it would’ve made sense. But at this stage of the game, suddenly pulling out the rug from under their playerbase would be, to put it lightly, a dick move.

17 Likes

The thing is Horde can be “Bad” without being evil. Unfortunately blizzard dont know how to write stuff like horde needing resources without villainizing characters for the sake of Loot or what i call “InterDimensional Space Time cosmic etc etc travel”.

1 Like

Murder and mayhem await. The republic has it’s scumbags, though… so that makes being a sociopathic murderer somewhat easier. But, yeah, Sith… are pretty bad.
The Horde, I don’t think, should have been ever taken down the road that it’s currently on, and I definitely feel like the BFA story was a dick move, regardless of any possible pending redemptions or apologies… but I guess I’ll take what I can get at this point.

Not really. SWTOR players had the option of becoming good guys or villains whichever side they chose. It was perfectly possible to play a heroic Sith or a dark Jedi.

With WoW you can’t really call Horde player characters “villains” though. They might be accomplice to villains, but all the while Sylvanas was doing her scheming in the background off screen through BfA, the Horde PC was defending Zandalar from Old Gods, blood trolls, Zul’s army, etc. Even during the 8.0 war campaign, Horde players spent about 10% of it total actually fighting Alliance.

Even this so called “choice” of being loyal to Sylvanas wasn’t really much of a choice since all it did was grant us a cutscene with Sylvanas and then they’re shoehorned into being her enemy.

In short, even during the nastiest faction war, Blizzard still has players from both factions doing hero stuff instead of villain stuff.

Player characters are not really canon, they are part of a collective denominated “champions” and participated through all the storyline, they may not have been intellectual authors but were a key part anyway

1 Like

I feel like this already happened and now Blizzard’s trying to walk it back with the story equivalent of a pinkie swear and that meme of the monkey looking back and forth.

But I’d sorely dislike making it official too.

If PC’s aren’t “Canon” than I hate to see what the canon really is. I guess it’s just the story running along without the players really being there at all. This really doesn’t change the fact that Horde still responded to Telanji’s request for help and defended Zandalar from the above listed threats.

Unless that all wasn’t canon either.

Yep, our characters are a device we use to experience a story already told, that’s why the loyalist path was kinda odd and not suited for an mmo, in fact, even if nobody clears raids and dungeons the “champions” already did.

Edit: anybody knows why system removes automatically a quoted post?

I’d settle with not being a Schizophrenic horde, shoved down the rabbit hole to push plot lines and whatever instanced content the dev’s are currently thinking of.

Personally I believe it should follow a simple but easy to follow guide to horde vs alliance who’s good protocol?

Reckoning back to what each of these factions represent and how each race acts it should be obvious. Most horde races have a dark streak in them, blood rage, undeath, dark culture, and vices. To a long time player it’s quite obvious that certain horde races have much more upfront troubles with their dark streak, orcs with blood rage, undead with no emotion.

The alliance races are far from removed from the darkness inside them however wow has had a hard time showing the alliance darkness for what it is. Dark iron are cruel, mechagnomes will likely be coldly logical at times, void elves suffer from madness, ect.

If it was up to me personally I would see a faction of red of noble savages who make mistakes from the dark elements that affect their lives. A Orc in combat so consumed by bloodlust he slays innocent life, undead so cold after a dark memory he takes this out on others, ect. But these are a growing people after such a mistake they would move to fix it themselves. The horde would be noble but flawed and trying to fight against certain dark natures in their souls.

The alliance however should be the illusion of white shining light and glory. In the forefront the alliance does no wrong, but it is only because underneath the alliance covers up their darkness they pretend it doesn’t exist… A worgen goes on a wild rampage consumed by his nature? This is not the alliance, it didn’t ever happen… A dark iron uses cruelty over a innocent, “We will look into it…” The alliance has great potential to have great darkness hiding within the light, ignored by the light because they see themselves only as heroes but the truth is not so black and white.

4 Likes

The problem is that for a dark thematic to work you need some kind of adult storytelling, current wow has violent and evil moments but it is cartoon evil, feels like a bag of potato chips, when you open it it’s just air.

1 Like