What is the classic subscription fee supporting?

Some of us are paying a full subscription fee just for classic. But it’s becoming clear that very little development is taking place on classic. What is the classic subscription fee supporting?

Those of us who are paying this fee were expecting more attention from the developers, ideally to reproduce a classic like experience and respond to player feedback, but that hasn’t happened. The AV implementation was worse than what private servers were providing, and dungeons and raids have been trivial.

They are instead taking a “do not touch” approach. This is fine, but this doesn’t justify a full priced sub fee. Compare the classic patch notes with retail for example and you’ll see where the attention is being placed.

if the full priced fee is supporting development of retail, that’s fine, but I think it may be better for the classic community if the sub fee was reduced, given the minimal classic development, as it would grow the playerbase and allow families to play together and open up classic to players from other countries.

(edit - I have to eat my words, given the recent adjustments to AV to account for the discord premades! Development is taking place! This bodes well for their interest in preserving the classic experience.)

34 Likes

just bc you choose not to log into retail doesnt mean you’re not supporting retail.

25 Likes

Retail.

17 Likes

This, unfortunately. It’s become exceedingly apparent that Classic is little more than a self-funded advertisement project to support Retail.

9 Likes

You can access the credit screen from the login page to see details about the current Classic dev team.

4 Likes

Part of it goes to paying the forum moderators, who have banned me 4 times in the last 3 months for bogus reasons.

13 Likes

You’re paying to develop the new retail expansion.

Thank you.

9 Likes

Maybe with the increased money they can make retail not terrible.

2 Likes

actually that is automated.

2 Likes

Retail may not suit you, however, it is anything but terrible.

9 Likes

Well you can’t appeal it either if it isn’t an in game ban. It won’t be listed under account actions here on the website. It just says you can’t post until so and so date. It’s just like the auto bans on facebook that started a while back with algoythem changes, which does not surprise me as blizzards based out of the same state, california.

1 Like

Literally plummeting sub numbers say otherwise.

7 Likes

You are paying for game time.
To which ever game in the WoW universe you chose.

It’s kind of like the old SOE all access pass.

And there is no “Development” taking place in Classic
There never was to be any “Development”
Development primarily means creation of new stuff, and Classic ceased to get new stuff 15 years ago.

As far as fees go, development of new stuff is not primarily funded from the subs.
Oh yes, sure, some money goes to it, but most goes to other things.
All the normal business stuff.
WoW classic does not operate any cheaper than WoW retail.

You buy the WoW expansions, those sales are where, hopefully, you recoup a large portion of the development costs of the expansion.
Which of course you have to shell out a good sum to the investors, as they foot a goodly portion of the bill.

4 Likes

yeah because its automated why pay someone for something when you can just create an algorithm for it set it and forget it.

1 Like

Pretty much. Maybe they bought the software from facebook/twitter. Might have got a discount since they are right down the road from them.

You have no idea what their sub numbers are doing and neither does anyone besides Blizzard.

4 Likes

Classic literally tripled subs when it came out. That tells me a lot

4 Likes

Your sub is paying for retail you get to log into classic as a bonus.

2 Likes

server upkeep and retail development.

1 Like

Again, you don’t know that. What you do know about Classic is that the release of Classic coincided with the largest one quarter jump in WoW subscriptions in WoW’s history. You don’t know, however, how many subs that was.

1 Like