What if 2handed just did what transmog does now with Artifact weapons

Instead of trying to balance everything between 2handed and two 1handed and tweaking numbers for an eternity; what if we just had the ability to transmog a 2handed weapon over two 1 handed weapons?

Just thought about this while reading through the Shadowlands stuff. I do not know what exactly Death Knights want; just pitching my two cents

I want hard hitting Oblits again. 2h Frost used to have buffed Obliterate damage by 50% while DW had stronger Frost Strikes. I want to have a Frost spec with it’s damage more weighted towards runes rather than runic power.

11 Likes

I see I see

Well then yes my idea wouldn’t do anything for that.

Was it removed in Legion to force the Artifact system? Why was DW chosen over 2handed? Player popularity?

Because blizzard didn’t want us to have frostmourne as the artifact.

Also only needing one good weapon drop as opposed to 2 is a nice bonus!

1 Like

But why on earth is it hard to balance when everything is calculated by AP now? Weapons are just stat sticks for pretty much every class

2 Likes

Well as I understand it 2 weapons swing faster than 1.

Also runeforging is incredibly powerful and 2 runes are better than 1.

certain aspects of how frost functions scale better with faster auto attacks. things like killing machine procs occur significantly more often with dw , frozen pulse, dw having an extra runeforge etc. theres another thread on the first page that went into in depth discussion on killing machine procs and why on alpha servers it seems that dw is blowing 2h out of the water despite abilities scaling off mostly AP. its not impossible to balance its just a ton more work than most people are willing to give it credit

The Legion artifact system itself would have prevented 2h play during that time. However they locked some abilities out so that you couldn’t play the spec to its fullest. They did this with pretty much every spec that was trying to be 2 things at the same time. It was done completely for balance reasons though people want to point at the artifact system for some reason.

The spec was pretty much designed and balanced around DW since Wrath. They got tired of this balance dance and the only thing it accomplished was to bring the spec down overall.

2h gets 277% less km procs than DW, or to put it in perspective, around 2 per minute for 2h and just over 7 per minute for DW. Runic attenuation works better with DW, Murderous Efficiency works better due to the increased amount of KM procs, Icy Talons works better as well since it increases melee attack speed by 15% if you can maintain it resulting in even more KM procs, Frozen Pulse that was also brought up is based on auto attack hits and the more you have the more damage it will do within that window.

Looking at anima powers, how they only want feedback when entire systems are done like the entire covenant system and other classes just not giving feedback anymore like warlock which I haven’t checked today, but yesterday it was like 24 days without a single post on the warlock alpha thread.

I would say it’s entirely likely that the issue isn’t going to get looked at since they already have other issues that have an impact on everyone like the covenant system.

Because that’s just baseless speculation, until you can reference a blue post or a tweet or something saying it isn’t.

Windwalker monks had no balance issues between weapon sets, but had 2H removed anyways, including ability locking like what was done to 2H frost. If they were doing it for balance reasons they would have left Windwalker alone.

Please stop saying that it was for balance reasons until you have actual evidence. Speculation is not fact.

3 Likes

They clearly wanted to do something with it. I can’t imagine they did not think of this as an option. We will have to see in the coming months. There have not really been any class changes at all since the alpha launched, but I am not concerned that they will leave it in the current state (this goes for many aspects of many classes).

Then you need a blue post saying that it was removed for artifacts, even though the artifacts themselves actually serve the purpose of removing them since you can’t use anything but them during that time, basically removing any other option from the game. If it was because of artifacts then everything should have been brought back in BFA. Having 2 weapon sets being balanced, doesn’t mean it wasn’t a nightmare to balance them.

Quit asking for things that you yourself cannot provide for your own argument.

I didn’t say that they were removed for artifacts, I said you should stop stating speculation as fact.

2 Likes

Even though they said no major changes to the specs? Others saying that it would come with the anima powers were released? Remember how quick BFA released? I remember, it was released so fast that azerite gear couldn’t even be tested. They are testing the main system, they are seemingly happy with the performance of the specs.

You heavily implied it, so where is your blue post?

I heavily implied nothing, I pointed out a flaw in your argument by using an example from another class. While I’m not going to lie, I do think that it’s because of artifacts, I acknowledge that it’s speculation on my part.

2 Likes

And when was monk designed? During the time when they were trying all this split spec stuff based off of weapons. Not to mention that my point still stands, just because something you point to was balanced, does not mean that it wasn’t a nightmare to balance. Not to mention that you are asking something to be presented by a company who has a history of not actually communicating.

Ok? What does that have to do with presenting speculation as fact?

2 Likes

Sure thing. You don’t know what major changes mean to them though.

Maelstrom is gone from both shaman specs, is that a major change? Affliction mainstay of stacking UA is now limited to just one and an entirely new mechanic added, is that major?

Seems like balancing DW vs 2H is much less of a change, and they have already added it. You already saw the math and the posts earlier, it is possible. They have also added 2H, so the will is there too.

You’ll see, 2H will be just fine.

Start calling for the falling sky after you see frost go through some rounds of changes. Until then, have fun repeating yourself.

2 Likes

It’s not speculation, it’s taking the available evidence over time and Blizzards behavior to come to a rational conclusion.