What god do you serve?

Just a general question for those who have dabbled in religious backstories for there character.
all deities big and small, good and evil have followers. some of the followers might be the heroes of azeroth saving the world time and time again.

1 Like

My Zandalari Prelate followed Rezan. When Rezan died in BFA and King Rastakhan was murdered by the Alliance, his wife turned to be a blood cultist and the Zandari joined the H*rde, he faced an existencial crisis that led to him losing his conection with the light.

He follows no gods now.

My Lightforged follows the light, obviously.

With the presence of resurrection, all of my characters have their reason for being. They all follow the warriors code of battle. everybody has value.
the “god, or deity” would be the next soul standing next to you and you treat it like you treat all things.

1 Like

Belore isn’t a god, silly. It’s the Sun, our local star around which Azeroth and her companion worlds revolve. When we talk about “the Eternal Sun”, we don’t imagine it’s listening. It’s just doing what it does, being bright, and providing a constant state of reference around which a natural, celestial order reliably, predictably occurs.

A non-theistic system of belief tries to order society along naturally self-enforcing and self-perpetuating lines. It’s why our city is called “Silvermoon” - it reflects, in a lesser way, the light of Belore and the cosmic harmonies we aspire to. No gods required. Just the actual Sun, actually doing what it can be observed to be and to do.

“What am I suppose to say Jesus?” - Star Lord

Actually, Ryu here Serves Elune. Having spend most of his life in Kaldorei care he’s grown to lean more towards their belief system more so than his dwarven ancestry. He spent a great amount of time on Kalimdor after becoming shipwrecked on their shore. Grew up and learned from the Kaldorei and even lived with them on Mount Hyjal until they moved to Darnassus. His bow is actually a branch from the World tree gifted to him after the Battle of Mount Hyjal.

Brother Duskworthe grew up in Drustvar, so his spirituality is a bit of an eclectic mix between the Holy Light, the Tidemother, and the old ways of the Drust.

While he is an ordained priest of the Light, he also shows reverence to the Tidemother like the Tidesages do. Influenced by the Thornspeakers, he also shares a healthy dose of animistic beliefs - that spirits great and small are ubiquitous and personhood extends beyond sentient humanoids.

The events of the Fourth War have pretty much shattered Drahliana’s faith in Elune… she venerates her but no longer worships her the way she once did. She’s learned that Elune can’t be counted on to intercede, so while she’s still a believer she’s become more self-reliant instead.

She’s sympathetic to Sira’s evolution in thought even if not in total agreement with it.

1 Like

There are few interesting ones to share, particularly with my Pandaren characters:

Several of my characters belong to the Winterclaw clan, a group of shamanic assassins. The Winterclaw clan are locked in a covenant with the local elementals of Kun Lai, entailing a pseudo-religious relationship between the clan the elements. This includes veneration of several select elemental lords of the area, one for each element, centered around a ruling conglomerate located near or around Neverest. There are also various rituals involving the elements, such as one where the clan’s greatest champions give themselves to the elements fully, becoming Ascendants.

Soldiers and agents of the clan also learn the basics of religious service to the August Celestials. This education’s purpose is twofold; to provide a reliable cover for missions and to provide a gateway career should they become civilly unwilling or physically unable to serve the clan. Two of my characters from this clan, Yun Winterclaw and Liangyu Wintergale, served as priests of Chi-ji and Xuen for a time. Liangyu still does.

Zhaoyang Cloudpaw, the main character portrayed on this Monk, reveres Elune in a similar manner as the Celestials and is interested in learning more about the Night Elves’ way. I see this aspect of her faith as being rather peculiar. In a seldom explored alternate timeline she becomes a full-fledged Priestess of Elune.

Though largely secular, Ju Moonblossom, a Warrior, partakes in quasi-religious spiritual rituals; most comparable to that of a Spirit Champion (though I don’t consider as one). She believes that venerating and beseeching the spirits of warriors past will grant blessings of martial knowledge to the worthy.

The Tidemother of course.

Baine follows the Earth Mother.