What do you think of Twitch?

This gaming channel really bugs me for some reason, I just find that the few people I know that do Twitch, make Twitch their entire life, worst of all the people that are on it are always trying to promote their channels, perhaps it’s just my personality that I prefer to actually play a game rather than watch people play one… I respect people may have a different opinion, but it just seems to me that that people on Twitch are choosing Twitch over real life and real proper socialization and friends. I’ve even had people I’ve befriended in real life, and thought yeah okay getting on with that person fine, but then when email them later it’s like “nah, I don’t talk or do emails, I just talk on my Twich stream in the group”. It kind of makes me hope that Twitch one day burns to the ground.

That said, that’s just my opinion, perhaps I’m not giving it a fair go. Do you like watching Twitch streamers and if so any favorite ones?

I’m going to be blunt

Aren’t you similar like that on General Discussion too?

Even back on the old forums

I remember your old threads and such :laughing:

For many, Twitch and Youtube have all but replaced traditional television. It’s not about watching a game over playing it. We play games too. It’s just that entertainment has branched out into what used to be a niche market that was only for a very small group of people 20 or 30 years ago. So now we have the option of having our TV entertainment time be about the games we already play and love.

Plus, I know for me at least, I just haven’t been interested in hardly any high-production TV shows in probably 10 years. I think the last show I really liked was Stargate Atlantis. I really don’t like modern storytelling techniques.

Twitch and Youtube at least offer a means to not only see someone else’s view on games I’ve already played (thus allowing me to expand my own mind with ideas or points I hadn’t considered), but serves to provide a more transparent presentation of the chosen media. Though that obviously varies wildly on the streamer, so it’s important to find ones you like. They’re not all like Markiplier or PewDiePie.

The streamers I watch kind of all tend to run in the same circles and often do collaborative content with each other. So there’s a lot of cross-content going on, even from video games to Rollplaying D&D shows. I watch Jesse Cox and his circle of friends like Dodger/DexBonus, Sam Strippin’, ItMeJp, etc, which branches over into the Rollplay D&D territory with CohhCarnage, Ezekiel III, Pokket, and Adam Koebel (which again bleeds over with Jesse Cox & Dodger on shows like Nebula Jazz and Balance of Power). And each of them has their own gaming channels…

So basically after so many years of watching people I like, I’m exposed to other streamers that I’ve grown fond of, and the base of streamers I like to watch ends up growing exponentially.

I’m not trying to make money though from the people that read my posts, the most I ever got was a smile when I got a like or these days love heart on my post.

For many, Twitch and Youtube have all but replaced traditional television.

Kind of scary that everyone can be a star now.

Hardly. It just means everyone can have a voice. If you don’t want to listen to them, don’t. But giving everyone an opportunity to have that voice is something that our grandparents fought and died for, and yet could only dream of.

1 Like

I am just concerned that because there is a monetary incentive to be a Twitch streamer it messes socialization up, like some people their whole lives become an online life and they don’t have the skills or willingness or incentive to talk to someone as an individual person…

For me, as organizations become large, they must become small at the same time, do smaller groups just not big giant ones.

What? Being a professional streamer is a job like anything else. When they aren’t streaming they’re living their lives just like anyone else.

There’s lots of jobs where people have to deal with masses of people everyday. Streaming is not unique in that way. It’s just a job.

2 Likes

I think it’s weird that people showcase their whole lives on a stream as a “career”

My first thought is, “get a real job, you slacker”

But then, I think that’s my old man perspective coming out, and times are just changing.

1 Like

I mean, you could say the same thing about any actor or sports star.

That’s what I meant about “times are changing”.

I think it’s weird af but…I get it.

Why? Should it only be left to the Hollywood A-listers to achieve fame?

I don’t find anything wrong with the site itself, but I wish they’d keep their silly lingo on Twitch. They type out names of emotes from the site, much like when people say “lol” instead of just laughing. Kids are weird.

1 Like

I guess that’s where I got turned off, I mean when someone invites me to their Twitch channel I think they are there to socialize and make friends, but nah they are out to make money.

I feel like it can be a positive thing, but when money is involved, there’s going to be greedy goblins who can make it a sour experience. No one likes to be taken advantage of.

I have watched some streams to pass the time at work, but I’m not donating anything to anyone other than my viewership.

1 Like

Senior citizens have AM talk radio. Millennials have Twitch. Different platforms, same purposes, i.e. keeping lonely people occupied, and selling ads and merch.

I mean, it’s entertainment. Most twitch people I watch I watch regardless of what they’re playing.

Twitch started out as a good thing for gamers and then the boobie streamers took over and ruined it. Still lotsa good channels though.

1 Like

I tried to give it an unbiased try. Boring garbage. The “personalities” people talk about seem like they’re trying to entertain 13 year olds. Half the top streams have something like “!giveaway” in the title, the other half are some other language. I tried multiple streams with high and low viewers and on multiple games.

1 Like