What do you prefer: Singular or Multiple Campaigns?

With Legion and Shadowlands, we had multiple campaigns either for classes or the covenant system, and with the other expansion the end game campaign was generally the same for both sides except with a Horde or Alliance perspective, like the War Campaigns for Battle for Azeroth.

So I’m rather curious from a story perspective would people prefer that singular campaign, the multiple campaign, or have it switch as we see from Legion to Battle for Azeroth to Shadowlands? Do you like the more variety for content in regards to alts or just prefer a more streamlined end-game story experience?

1 Like

I think I prefer multiple. It’s more content, and more easily allows for multiple champions to exist in lore. I don’t like the covenant campaigns, where, you can do them on the same character, but it only makes sense for four different characters to do them. For example, one character can participate in the same Maldraxxus battle, against the House of Rituals, twice, for the Necrolords and the Venthyr. That makes no sense.

And the less said about the covenant system itself, the better.

1 Like

One hand I do get why people like the multiple storyline way of doing it, but I do prefer Legions way of storytelling, it just seemed more coherent at the time.

2 Likes

But Legion did have multiple storylines, for each of the 12 classes.

1 Like

True….I dunno, I guess it wasn’t as disjointed as Shadowlands story is coming off as. I just find it to be better overall.

1 Like

Oh, I see what you mean. I think maybe that they’ll make the experience the same for everybody in the next few patches for Shadowlands. Maybe that’s why you remember Legion having singular storylines. They did the same there with the Broken Shore and Argus.

1 Like

Yeah, I like how it all eventually got tied together into one singular story, with everyone assaulting Argus.

4 Likes

Singular by far.

I don’t like playing alts. And only do it begrudgingly. So I much prefer when I can just do everything with my main.

1 Like

I like multiple. The more the merrier. It adds more replay value, lets your explore the same event from more angles, allows different stories to feature/focus different elements different players may find more appealing, and obscures the stories enough where a lot of discrepancies can be chalked up to Roshamon style shenanigans while allowing more observant observers to form bigger picture understandings based on how the stories interact.

2 Likes

While it is more content, most of the order hall campaigns were not that great tbh. So it does come down to basically quality vs quantity. However Blizzard can’t even do a great singular expansion wide campaign lately.

I did not enjoy the Warrior Campaign. At first it was good but then they sidelined Helya, whom should’ve been the main antagonist of the campaign and we got the Legion instead. You would think that the no.1 person who would actively try and stop Odyn from reaching out to his fellow keepers of Ulduar and make amends would be Helya. But no, we had some random Eredar chick who wanted to make Hodir her “toy” (oh my).

If Trial of Valor was something they had planned from the get go, I would’ve liked if the Warrior campaign set up that raid.

Wrath was my ideal questing experience.

Multiple, redundant zones, each with a unique Horde/Alliance experience. Borean Tundra was paired with Howling Fjord. Dragonblight paired with Grizzly Hills. Zul’drak paired with Sholazaar Basin. Storm Peaks paired with Icecrown. So, you could level 4 different characters and have a mostly unique experience each time. I still haven’t done all the Wrath content, man. Like, damn. It’s a lot, and it’s all really good stuff. It just makes the world feel so big.

Compare that to everything since Legion. Legion was the worst for the repeatability of the leveling experience. Same 4 zones each time with only one having faction differences, and the only way to level was doing the same quests. BfA was better because it was 4 zones per faction (I count the war campaign as one zone), so eight different stories. Shadowlands is back to only four zones, ignorant of faction, but being able to skip the story and level through world quests helps improve repeatability.

Gameplay wise I like multiple.

Lorewise it’s terrible not to have the whole story unless you play multiple classes and factions.

2 Likes

In an ideal world for me:

• 9.0 = introductory questlines, exposition
  • 9.1 = how the factions/races are dealing with the plot (overlap would be fine)
  • 9.2 = how the classes are dealing with the plot (overlap would be fine)
  • 9.3 = wrap up

I liked what they did in Legion and felt like I was able to do multiple class hall campaigns and not be overwhelmed. The other key is I wanted to do them. Whether it was the story being engaging, which it was, or that it had a basis in the Azeroth I know and love. Shadowlands has none of that, sadly.

I always wonder where the next expansion set-up should be, or if it should be continuous.

I feel like by time we figure out wth is going on in the Shadowlands, next expansion will be even more confusing. (especially for new players)

Multiple campaigns such as Legion felt pretty good, imo. You didn’t see the “whole picture” but it made the world feel a bit more alive.

Things were happening outside of just you because you weren’t yet “baby greenjesus.”

Classes had their own quests, own objectives, and the world “felt big.”

Now, I feel like I’m the soul savior of the Shadowlands, the Maw Walker, and I have no idea what is going on. I’m just following random orders without much say or forethought.

1 Like