What do you consider “beating” WoW?

Had a friend back in Vanilla that did Molten Core several times getting the best gear for her class at the time. She topped healing during raids.
For her THAT was beating WoW… she left before BC and never came back.

Of course, the way WoW plays one never “beats”… every time it’s always anti-climactic… always loose ends… always something “else”.

Is there anything that would make you feel you beat the game?

To me, I think it would be every quest, every zone, every expansion, every raid and dungeon completed at least on Normal difficulty.

When you finally uninstall the game for good.

24 Likes

Getting glad would be beating wow to me.

That depends on what kind of content you do and what goals you set for yourself. If you’re someone who only raids, maybe the goal you chose is getting AotC, and so on. And of course, you can always add more goals: Getting the Jaina mount, grinding X title or reputation, and so on. You beat the game when there’s nothing left you want to accomplish.

1 Like

I never thought of it as something you can beat. Even if you get every BiS item of the highest ilvl, there’s always something left over

Plus I never thought of the goal as obtaining the gear in itself, but everything you can do once you get it. So many directions to go from there based on the individual.

I don’t think WoW is a game you can beat, just a game you grow out of enjoying.

3 Likes

You can’t beat/finish wow and that’s why i like it so much i think. So far its a never ending game . Unless you played from day 1 to now , not missing anything , but even then , still more to come .

But in spirit of the question , Aotc , +15 , Elite set , half the battle pets ,of current expansion then back to finishing older content and helping others “beat” my vision of the current patch of this game.

When you fully unsub , uninstall and move onto something else that can devour your time and money then you have beat WoW.

Beating WoW for me is getting Heroic Nya’lotha done on my main and getting Mad World on each of my active characters.

Doesn’t mean I’d quit after though, just that I’d feel satisfied in regards to that character.

It’s just this alt that’s left for me.

Last boss of LFR for me for the current expansion.

As you said, there’s no such thing as beating a game that continually releases content. You can complete the currently available content and consider that “beat” for the current patch, but it’s a cycle and you’ll need to “beat it” again in a few months.

More realistically, it’s a matter of what goals you want to meet in a given patch / expansion.

My goal for 8.3 was to hit 475 ilvl, get AotC for Ny’alotha, hit 2k Raider IO Score / BfA Season 4 Keystone Master, Have all Rank 3-4 Essences Equipped, have a strong Corruption loadout, and get Mad World (Both 5 Mask Vision Runs).

I achieved all of that, screwed around on an alt for a couple weeks because some friends wanted to, then when that piddled out (like I said, a couple weeks), I stopped logging in for the most part.

Because I “beat” everything I cared to.

1 Like

Storyline it is for me.
I soon as I complete relevant quests, I slowly lose interest until next patch.

1 Like

Cutting edge as far as I’m concerned but it resets weekly so I guess in that sense you never really beat an mmo.

You don’t beat WOW. You beat a challenge. Then you move on to the next one.

Ultimately, it’s all about doing your best…then doing better than you did the last time.

I imagine it is a subjective thing.

For me it would be running out of things I am willing to look for.

Doing /dance during the server shutdown event when WoW officially ends.

Do what you enjoy, I’m not trying to tell you that you’re wrong or anything, but…

I cannot imagine playing this game solely for the story. I think they’ve built a good world, but the front-and-center stories they tell within the world are almost always godawful, to me.

1 Like

Taking down Hogger. Everything else is just optional post-game stuff after that.

1 Like

beating the current raid tier on heroic for me, usually start playing much much much less after that, until the next tier anyway.

Three normal versions.

1. Beating Nyalotha (or equivalent highest raid for the expansion) on Mythic at least once

2. Getting near max ilvl on at least 1 Alliance and 1 Horde character.

3. Completing all your major to-do’s. Such as whenever I unlock Kul Tiran, Vulpera, and Pathfinder I’ll have felt incredibly accomplished

Literal version:

Completing every quest, every pathfinder, every item, every mount, pet, every garrison upgrade, all toys, every achievement, having a max ilvl character of every race/class/spec variation possible on each gender, maxed cloak, every purchaseable item, every dungeon/raid on each difficulty, every island expedition, etc.

1 Like