What do we want for our next Pet Dungeon?

Personally, I’m hoping that Scholomance becomes our next pet dungeon. I want to get a phylactery as a reward and have a mini-lich pet with ice attacks. Also, that floating skull would be nice to have in the dungeon to lead us around. It would also be a good model for another interesting pet. Maybe a guest appearance by Lady Voss herself.

3 Likes

I would like either Court of Stars or The Arcway. Nightborne are the supreme race so we need to showcase our city!

2 Likes

I would like a new challenge, and new rewards, a new something to do other than world quests, but didnt the big story end? How would it continue? Or would it just be a simple dungeon, like Wailing caverns, but without the last moments.

From an interview with John Hight and Hazelnutty;

“The dungeons are a lot of fun…There’s a group of players that are really into it, but it hasn’t had as much broad appeal as some of the other features of the game. So we’re kind of taking a pass to see what the reception is like. If we get a lot of demand for more pet battle dungeons that’s something we’ll look at later [in the expansion (Shadowlands)].”

I don’t think there’s been enough of a demand for a new dungeon for them to take another look at making one, so I don’t think we’ll see one anytime soon. And based on Ion’s interview it seems like they’d rather take more of a look at improving pet pvp:

“Nothing huge for Dragonflight itself. Though, as always, we’re going to have a whole new array of stuff to tame, and capture, [and] incorporate in your collections, and outdoor challenges. Something I’d love for us to do is to take a crack at improving pvp pet battles.I think there’s room for an alternate mode there. Something that’s a bit more asynchronous, like where you set up a defensive team. Like a lot mobile games do stuff like this effectively. Like you set up your defensive team, and then you can instantly challenge other peoples. Right now, part of the challenge is just the critical mass of trying to queue up and go through the motions and find enough people. Even if we incentivize it like with the weekly quest, or whatever, it’s still pretty tough, and if you try it for the first time you’re jumping into the very deep end of a very shark-filled pool. Whereas I think there could be something much more accessible and fun there. I’d love to see us do it, but other things are taking priority for Dragonflight launch.”

At the end of the day, I’d like to see something in the style of the Celestial Tournament (which has had the most success of all the dungeons), and something that would create re-playability for said dungeon. Like rewards that would make it worth coming back to it even after the pets for said dungeon are collected.

The CT style is nice: 8 fights in a single location, set up in two sets of 4 to go in any order you want among the 4, with one set of four on a rotation of different fights. Plus, CT had a healer right outside the dungeon so if your free heal wasn’t up you could do that. With that in mind, you’d want a place that has a nice, iconic atmosphere in a single location. This means it doesn’t have to use a whole dungeon, and could include raids.

3 Likes

Tis a shame that pet dungeons are apparently no more. I would have liked to have seen something more done with them.

Still, just yesterday, I decided to revisit the first dungeons, Wailing Caverns and the Deadmines, something I hadn’t done in years.

And even though I couldn’t possibly remember any of the strats – I think I remembered that Darkmoon Zeppelin was used against Skum and Ikky was good to use against the spore, and Lil Bling was used against one of the snakes in the middle – I pretty much effortlessly defeated them. Against someone who knows the right type of pet to use against and NPC pet, this didn’t present a challenge. And this was done without even considering what the back up pets would be.

For instance, in the Deadmines, when I faced the Floating Skull thingie, I simply chose three critters, only to discover that the backups were aquatic and a beast. And I didn’t put a whole lot of thought into my choices. I just opened the pet inventory. Fine, I’ll use this rabbit as my first pet, then this critter and this critter. Regardless of the effectiveness of the pet against the backline pets, I just breezed right through both dungeons.

Even worse, since I couldn’t remember the strats, I frequently made mistimed moves. For instance, I would throw up a decoy against a barrage attack, thereby making it next to nothing. Or I would launch my devastating attack right after the NPC pet burrowed, thereby making my huge attack against nothing.

You know what might be nice? If there could be a few optional pet bosses placed at the end of existing dungeons. Sort of combining existing dungeons with pet dungeons, but making the pet dungeon aspect completely optional. But of course, they should only be at the end, so those non-pet battlers can just go and complete the dungeons and leave us to have our fun. If you put them at the beginning or the middle, obviously that would make non-pet battlers have to wait for us to kill these pet bosses.

One of the things that I did notice about Deadmines is that I could at least kill some stuff as my player. Those stupid squawking parrots.

I absolutely love that tournament. The other dungeons not so much, maybe it’s to do with the wild pets and/or the lay out.

1 Like

Couldn’t they just add to the Celestial Tournament with new challengers? I agree the Celestial Tournament is great. The problem is that there are only four pets you can obtain from it, and they, in their infinite wisdom, decided we could only get one each. If they added to their rewards, and put new pets in it, I’d go back, and so would all of you.

And if the wanted to give away the four leet pets first, they could simply lock the additional pets behind those first pets. No new pets until you get the first four.

I think Celestial Tournament was popular because the pet rewards were useful. To this day, I use three of four of them in near every pet strategy with typing that comes up since they are so much more over powered with unique abilities.

I did not enjoy the Weekly Reset however so if they did introduce something like this than they should not time-gate it.