What do people think of centaur in DF?

I’ve recently been watching Marco Polo on Netflix, and I feel like someone at Blizzard has been, too. (Also Dragon Prince.)

I thought the centaur were okay, personally. If anything, maybe a little more focus could’ve been put on the fact that the Nokhud weren’t always Like That because they came off like the “they’re fighters so they’re evil” group. Other than that, it made me lowkey a little jealous over the care put into them, since they share a lot of thematic crossover with orcs and tauren.

I get the feeling that the DF centaur and tuskarr were Blizzard trying to prove to themselves that they can write other cultures respectfully, since they admitted that before now, they hadn’t actually been doing any consulting or deep-diving into the cultures in question when mining them for game content.

And as for the Kalimdor centaur, I don’t really care that they’re disconnected from these. It’s a funny lore oopsie but they were never important in the first place, so I don’t think it hurts a lot to reinvent them.

2 Likes

I like them! They’re a properly fleshed-out culture that feels at-home in it locale. They’re good people and it feels good to help them out.

5 Likes

To paraphrase TV Tropes… These Centaur are different.

Their culture is actually a mild form of matriarchy. One of their standard farewells is the hope that you would be blessed with daughters. Males aren’t subservient, but it’s the women who clearly hold primary status.

they were my favorite zone and I went and got the green dragon customization now im not even maxing the others and stopped playing until trading post

2 Likes

They are the main faction for this character, but my others have different leanings.

“Convergent evolution” was such a lame copout.

They were spawned from elemental royalty, it’s an elemental expansion, I think their origin would have been way better if they were on the isles because of their racial ties.

I’d have liked them more if they were a clan that were sent to do dirty work for Threderas and just kind of went native and chilled. They’re basically highmountain MK 2 down to having the obvious evil traitor clan obsessed with powah.

5 Likes

Shame it wasn’t

:rofl::sunglasses:

I like the culture of the centaur in Ohn’ahran. I do think their story moves a bit fast, and a war with the Nokhud could’ve lasted a bit longer but I think it’s nice to learn about them. I especially love the music I hear, every time I enter Maruukai.

3 Likes

I’m rather bored of the Centaur themselves, but I love the zone they live in. There’s a sense of wonderment in the American great plains that the zone managed to capture.

1 Like

They’re pretty much reskinned HM tauren with slight differences. I think it’d have been better if instead of centaurs they had yaungol occupy the plains, since they are known to be an ancient race, unlike the centaurs.

2 Likes

Typical for tribal civil war stuff. One or more groups infighting with other groups who have been Allies for centuries. For some reason the aggressor group is always stronger than the other allied groups, even though the allied groups have more numbers.

I like the DF Centaur. They added a bit more culture and identity behind them other than just a mongrol race to kill off, placed in a (relative to the rest of WoW) great amount of diversity from sexuality to disability, and characters are fun. Of course all the dogs helps.

I’m not a big fan of how they decided they came to be or what makes them different from the Kalimdor centuar (I dont think any of us are) but that aside, they’re fun and would like to see the Kalimdor centaur get a similar treatment in how they’re portrayed.

3 Likes

I want to like the DF Centaur but I find that they really lack a spark or soul to them that the Highmountain Tauren or Tuskarr tribes had.

With a few exceptions (the matchmaker quest being one of them…really the only good quest there), I find them just droll and joyless. Not to mention that the entire main story with them, felt like a lecture and not really like I was there with them.

Like how they keep up the the “Heh not bad for a two legs” while there incompetence to stop one from there own from killing two green dragons really just doesn’t help them in any way in the story.

It feels, to me like all the fun that they could have had got written out, and were left with this weird scolding and judgy tone that just doesn’t work. Not to mention that the first scout you meet says "Don’t get eatin’ in the swamp’ (or something to that effect) when it’s clear that I have a dragon now, and my dragon can fly, so that swamp is no issue, not to mention the flight token just before you meet her.

I just find them a complete mess, unlike the Iskaara Tuskarr that have so much love and heart written into them.

(Also where are the centaur children? In a expansion with adorable child and babys for nearly everything on the isles…the centaur have no little ones at all…it just adds to the feeling they were rushed or neglected story wise.)

2 Likes

The Gelkis were positively portrayed for what little focus they got in Cata, but if I remember right, they threw out the “Relatively chill and diplomatic” bit in Cata and made them the same as the Kolkar/Magram/etc

I think a story of one of the Kali tribes deciding to legitimately try to broker peace with their neighbors, especialy because it’s one where you could have the Tauren be uncharacteristically angry and dismissive, and you could use Baine’s diplomatic attitude in a way that doesn’t equate to pandering to the Allaince as he tries to soothe old hatreds.

3 Likes

I hate them utterly and completely because they are proof that blizzard can write honor correctly, but will only do that if the race has a white human face.

2 Likes

I hate the concept of “honor” when talking about fantasy because it’s so damn nebulous and personal.

3 Likes

Also does anyone else felt like the green dragonflight was a complete afterthought in that entire zone and story. We spend a ton of time being grumbled to by centaur who cant stop the one angry centaur man, and his bald elemental elf girlfriend…

…then dragons…at the end.

Oh and yes and the emissary at the start that they cant even stop from getting hosed by a bolt of lighting. Ten thousand years and none of them can save a single dragon.

We ‘two legs’ have to solve it all for them, and it’s borderline insulting to what I fell blizz writers were tying to do with them. :man_facepalming:

3 Likes

That was the biggest disappointment for me other than the centaur having no lore connections. Green dragons basically having no story. And I agree the two-legs line is always cringe.

1 Like

The green dragonflight being almost completely absent from the majority of the Ohn’ahran story was definitely jarring. Because of that, the pact between the centaur and dragons didn’t feel that impactful or necessary at all. It honestly makes me suspect that the zone might’ve undergone significant rewrites behind the scenes. :thinking:

7 Likes