What causes this texture glitch?

I started having this issue the past week and can’t figure out what is causing it.

Basically, textures will randomly turn black with randomly colored blocks and stripes. I can play the game for hours and not see it or it will happen immediately when logging in. It seems to be completely random. Sometimes it happens to my UI action buttons, objects in the world, or even the map. Reloading the UI fixes map or action buttons usually, but rarely fixes terrain or object textures.

I have run the scan and repair option for the game, but the issue still persists. My video card driver is up to date. I have an Nvidia RTX 3070ti. I have checked more core temps, video card temps, and motherboard temps, all are running well below any concerning temperature.

I am not experiencing this issue with any other game, even games with much higher demand than WoW.

For some reason, I can’t add a link. Add the h t t p s : / / to this for a screenshot example.
flic.kr/p/2ocEstt

Please help!

2 Likes

DX12 texture corruption. It’s been an issue for some lately. Run the command /console gxrestart to reboot the graphics engine. You can make a macro of it for future use, if needed.

3 Likes

Or turn DX12 down to DX11 in the graphics options.

Works! Thank you for sharing. Hopefully, the DX12 issue gets fixed soon.

2 Likes

I’ve heard reports that it tends to happen more often when people have other apps open that are using hardware acceleration, like a browser with a youtube video open or discord. So it more than likely is still on the driver end of things and how they manage the GPU memory. WoW isn’t the only game that gets hit with these corrupt texture problems on DX12.

1 Like

Having the same issue

I’ve been having this issue on DX11+Linux and your macro fixed it. Thank you so much, I was worried I was going to have to do Rasz prog w/ 20 fewer FPS on Windows.

2 Likes

What is your Shadow setting and have you gone into a dungeon yet where mechanics are generated?

If my shadows are set to Fair, they render as black boxes. If set to Good (or higher, presumably), they render as expected. In Azure Vaults, all the swirlies rendered as expected (eg thunder strikes, null stomp, etc), but the buttom portion of storming and the consuming stomp, as well as some prop lighting, render as black textures.

/console gxrestart definitely helps, but can’t get everything.

Again, this is on DX11. My GPU and CPU temps are always below 70 degrees Celsius.

A bunch of us linux users are having the same issue. We’re on lutrus’ forums. I tried a bunch of the usual stuff but nothing worked. I’m starting to think it’s just a bug in wine but what do I know.

Let me know if you got it fixed.

It’s also happening to people using regular Windows, so I don’t think it’s an issue with wine. Which version are you using?

I’ve tried:

WoW set to DX11 non-legacy (DX12 results in a full crash to grubb)

kron4ek wine 7.20
wine ge proton 7.34 and .35

DXVK 2.0 and 2.0-1-196fefe

VK3D proton 2.8 and 2.8-1 (idk the full revision, Bottles is cutting off the rest of it LOL–I don’t think it comes into play unless I use DX12 anyway)

Like Pawgwalker said, it’s probably an issue with changes to how GPU memory is being managed. Maybe I’ll get a chance to find more info about it.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.