What books do you like?

Ben Hur, LOTR related books. Oba the last samurai, bridge to the Sun, until they eat stones, and Moby dick ( if you skip some of the technical details of whaling).

1 Like

Wool series by Hugh Howley
Anything by Harlan Ellison
Anything by Arthur C. Clarke
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever by Donaldson
The Dwarves by Marcus Heitz

1 Like

Currently reading Game of Thrones (whole series) as well as Outlander - thank goodness for eBooks.

2 Likes

Anything by Terry Prachett; the Discworld novels are a wonderful mix of fantasy, British wit, satire and subtle commentary. They don’t require being read in any particular order. Find a group you enjoy, like the wizards or the night watch, and go hog wild on all the novels that feature them — then branch out from there, because the man can’t write anything bad.

For really high quality modern literary fiction, check out Nick Harkaway (Angelmaker is my personal favorite) and Claire Vaye Watkins. They write genre-defying, captivating stories and are incredible wordsmiths in their own right.

4 Likes

Lately I’ve been into kaiju scifi – not a large field, so when something new appears, I go for it. Latest book on my list is The Drakos Effect.

1 Like

Authors that I have in my library (almost 2,000 books) include Piers Anthony, Anne McCaffrey, Tracy Hickman, Margerat Weis, R.A. Salvator, Ed Greenwood, Terry Pratchet, Roger Zelazny, Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Clive Barker, Shannon Mayer, Jim Butcher, Anne Rice, C.E. Murphy, and Neil Gaiman.

Plus I have many classics from Asimov, Lovecraft, Orwell, Shelley, Tolkein, Dickens, Shakespeare, and Twain. Even have books from Richard Knaak and Christie Golden.

3 Likes

The classics are probably my favorites.

Edit: also Im having to give likes with my alts now. Just fyi

No one has mentioned Wheel of Time - which might be good to read before the amazon series taints it. For easy/fun Butcher’s Dresden Series isn’t bad.

1 Like

For people that like Stephen King especially books like The Stand I recommend reading Robert McCammon’s Swan Song .
A post-apocalyptic end-of-the-world novel in which a nuclear war destroys almost everything on the planet. Civilization is gone and it’s hell on earth. Savagery everywhere. A young girl named Swan may be the only hope for humanity.

" An ancient evil roams the blasted nightmare country, an evil as old as time. He is the Man with the Scarlet Eye, the Man of Many Faces, gathering under his power the forces of human greed and madness. He is seeking to destroy a child, the one called Swan"

4 Likes

The stand was one of my favorite books of all time. The man with scarlet eye sounds a lot like randal flag( the man with the worn down boot heels). I will have to check that out for sure.

1 Like

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet

3 Likes

1984 and The Count of Monte Cristo I’ve read many, many times.

1 Like

Ive read 1984 multiple times as well. Along with animal farm and fahrenheit 451. If you like those you should check out the books stephen king wrote as richard bachman. Specificaly The Running Man.

2 Likes

Which Stephen King books did you like? People mostly think of horror when they think of Stephen King but he has a range. I have not read any of his pulp books. I am not too big on fantasy books, currently I am on a Lee Child kick. I did pick up the book series from Marie Brennan for my husband’s birthday.

1 Like

The bachman books were awesome. My favorites were the stand and the darktower series. I liked his non horror as well. The body, rita hayworth and the shawshank redemption. His try at pulp books I kinda just read to say I read them lol. Dream catcher and hearts in atlantis were probably the hardest reads for me to get into.

Edit: also I think some of his short stories are among his best work.

1 Like

Many named above.

Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert A. Heinlein.

Most of the Incarnations of Immortality series by Piers Anthony, but particularly On A Pale Horse.

1 Like

Stephen Erikson - Malazan Book of the Fallen Empire series are excellent. Also the side stories by Ian C Esselmont are just as good.

Another excellent author is Katheryn Kurtz and the Books on Camber the Heretic.

Also The Magician by Raymond Feist - then read the Riftwar Saga by Janny Wurtz.

1 Like

Yeah, I kinda felt that I would like the pulp books so I stayed away from them. Dream Catcher, Hearts in Atlantis, and I would say From a Buick 8 were from so weird creative point he was at. I love the Bachman books as well my favorite being Blaze but over all my favorite stand alone King book is The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. Over all his short stories are his best works in my opinion. Though I don’t know if he has lifted the ban he put on Apt Pupil.

1 Like

Just dont. Tolkien is like Lucas, good story teller, terrible writer. LOTR is a slog to get through and anyone says otherwise is lying to themselves.

to OP: If you enjoy the Forgotten Realms setting then just dive into RA Salvatore and read the entire Drizzt series, its like 30 books at this point and will take you a while to get through it all. Otherwise the Erivis Cale books by Kemp are all solid and the books of the dead (forget the author dang) are all really good.

FR is an awesome lore setting and there are a ton of great books in its world. Whatever you do just skip over old man pervo-Ed Greenwood whom is a terrible writer and most of the Elminster books are pretty bad. You can also skip over anything by Richard Knaak, though he contributed to War of the Spider Queen which was a fantastic series, but Knaak is generally a meh writer, much like he is with WoW books.

1 Like

A buick 8 was a big let down. Lots of unanswered questions. Blaze was awesome. I put off the girl who loved tom gordan for a long time, but when I finally read it I really got in to it. I didnt know he put a ban on apt pupil.Ive never saw the movie and can never seem to find it anywhere. Maybe thats why.