What are you listening to now? V5

I really dig John B, and this track is one of my faves from him. Watch for that change-up after about 2:00.

This is the track that made me fall in love with his music, though, and maybe drum and bass in general. I was listening to jungle at the time (2007 or 8), so I kinda technically already loved it, but this track turned me on to the more melodic, vocal, ethereal side of the genre. 2:35 to 2:50+ is still goosebumps for me, even after all these years. What a banger:

The Danny Bonaduce and Sarah Morning Show podcast … very funny and entertaining , skewing a little to far left lately but what can you do

Sit at desk. Headphones on. Hit “Random,” then “Play.”

Eleven was a local LA band that I discovered in the early 90s; I was working with a guy that was promoting bands, and he handed me a CD.

A couple of the original members were in a band with Flea, which Anthony Kiedis later joined, and that became the Red Hot Chili Peppers. At that time tho, the two original members left and/or began to record with other people, and eventually became Eleven.

They toured a lot as openers for Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and others in the grunge scene. Unfortunately, they never blew up outside of being pretty popular in LA, despite having quite a few albums released.

Anyway, excellent 90s vibe, always loved the vocals. His stylings kinda remind me of the lead singer from Faith No More at times.

Speaking of…

1 Like

Jajaja The Master Killer!

Pretty sure you would know compa, I think Faith no MOre was one of the first rock bands to include a funk/rap. Here’s that band with Booya Tribe (radio version).

1 Like

2 Likes

They were! It’s too bad that they don’t get credit for it at all. Epic was a top ten hit in 1989, a certified rap-metal success and one of the earliest (if not the earliest) mainstream example of rap metal I can find. There were others doing it in the underground a couple years prior (like Anthrax), but none were a huge success like Faith No More. Anthrax didn’t hit big until '91 with Public Enemy and the remake of Bring The Noise.

Of course, Run DMC, and LL Cool J were bringing metal into rap before 1989, but that’s rap with elements of rock, not the other way around. Beastie Boys too, but honestly, their music started as metal/punk first and then added rap later on.

I had absolutely no idea that Faith No More was formed in 1979; I would have been about a decade off if I had to take a guess. Learned that today while reading about them before making this post. Interesting stuff.

2 Likes

/happy dance
3 Likes
2 Likes

“Happy Birthday, to my Husband, of 19 (going on 20) years of wonderful marriage.”

/happy tentacle dance
/big grin
3 Likes

Roll the Bones after reading the title of a thread “Can we get rid of Roll The Bones” I was happy to see I was not the only one inspired to respond with a Rush comment in that thread. :smiley:

1 Like

A completely underrated Billy Joel song

1 Like

DJ Brainz. Can’t do a direct link, no TL3, but one of my favorite DJs worldwide, and has been for years. He plays UKG (UK Garage, like two-step house music), both the vocal, liquidy stuff and the more grimey bass driven styles as well.

He’s just fun to listen to. Communicates a lot with his audience, clearly he loves doing what he does. Fun to hang out in the chat at sub(dot)fm when he’s on live as well.

https://www.mixcloud.com/MrBrainz/the-prodigal-son-returns-with-garage-n-bass-episode-278-bumpy-uk-garage-with-dj-brainz/

Just started this set but I’ll edit and link a couple good tracks from this one in a bit.

He’s live today at 3pm GMT (7a Pacific, 10a Eastern). Chat is at:

https://www.sub.fm/chat/

Edit: Another great set as always. Vibes! :musical_note::notes::notes::notes::musical_note::musical_note::notes::musical_note:

Also “Take It Back” by B1g Proj3ct feat. MC Creed, looks like Soundcloud exclusive right now:

https://soundcloud.com/highlyswung/b1g-pr0j3ct-ft-mc-creed-back-in-time

I also highly recommend “Girlfriend” by Para, which Brainz drops at about the 18 minute mark, but that track is nowhere! No YouTube, no SoundCloud, no BandCamp … nothing. Gotta listen to the set for it!

Another, IMO:

1 Like

“Here’s a song you can listen to, ALL night long…”

/evil giggle
/disappears in a cloud of Void
2 Likes