What are you listening to now? V5

Always loved the Smiths…

“…now I know how Joan of Arc felt, as the flames rose to her Roman nose. And her Walkman started to melt.”

2 Likes
1 Like

Soen’s Lotus is gonna find its way into a lot of metalheads’ top 3 albums for 2019, and for good reason. I cannot stop listening to it. There isn’t a single bad song to be heard, the production quality is superb, and they really know how to speak to the soul.

Really wish I could post some EPMD this morning… but after a bit of searching through what I have, I can’t find a single track that has clean lyrics. Or, any clean versions. Or anything appropriate LOL.

I’ll go for some Digital Underground instead. You can feel the EPMD influence. Though Shock G / Humpty Hump was always going on about people biting his lyrics, he took bites outta EPMD regularly. :sunglasses:

(Album version)

1 Like

/DANCE

How can one not smile when this is on. Video’s awesome, LOL.

Digging on some Gary Numan this morning. I’ll use the cliche “ahead of his time,” because it’s totally true LOL. :sunglasses:

…and yeah, the obvious choice…

1 Like

To be fair, the FF version is kinda cool. I don’t say that just because Ray was a friend of mine for years and years… (yeah, name dropper, I know…)

FF worked with Numan on the production, making it more than just an off-the-cuff cover version. Great video too!

1 Like

here’s the counter opposite that is equally good to /dance one

1 Like
3 Likes
3 Likes

Stevie Ray Vaughan Very Superstitious cover from the DVD Pride and Joy. I cheated and looked for the thread since I was visiting the forums with something on in the background aside from a movie for a change. This very video in fact.

1 Like

Found one. This came up on random this morning, and after a minute I was like, “duh, this is EPMD and he hasn’t said f- anything! To the forums!”

LOL. Nah, but seriously. Epic and influential old school hip-hop. The first hip-hop / mainstream track to sample Zapp’s 'More Bounce to the Ounce," which is everywhere now and has been sampled in some 300 tracks since then. One of the first to sample ‘Jungle Boogie.’ And if you listened to the Digital Underground stuff I posted… yeah… DU wouldn’t be DU without EPMD.

Enough with the acronyms. First version is the original video 'cause any rap video from '88 is dripping with nostalgia (for me, anyway.) Second version is one that has way better audio quality.

My favorite comment from the first video:

Yeah, me too.

:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:

1 Like

1 Like

Headed back even further, here’s UTFO (dang, the acronyms!) with Roxanne, Roxanne (1984). One of the very first ‘diss’ tracks, certainly the first mainstream and the first in hip-hop. Spawned a wide range of responses such as, “Roxanne’s Revenge,” and “Roxanne’s a Man.”

French house is one of my favorite genres. Bypassing a lengthy explanation, French house generally uses a bass guitar as a lead, creating complicated rhythms over a regular 4/4 house beat. Think Daft Punk’s earlier stuff. They brought the French house sound into the mainstream (Voyager comes to mind as a perfect example.)

Anyway, Nu Phrench (Snowman Remix) by Aurient:

Insert random happy random feels good song here :nauseated_face:

Going Down Fighting