What are you listening to now? V5

Beautiful 80s vibes on this one. I thought the vocalist was Robyn 'till I checked; I was wrong. Really digging this one:

I have so much respect for KCRW and, specifically, Jason Bentley. I’ve lost count of how many hundreds of new songs and artists he’s introduced me to over the last - my gosh, nearly 30 years. Streaming Saturday night’s Metropolis, which he hosts, and the insanely good tracks just keep coming.

If anyone’s interested:

https://www.kcrw.com/music/shows/metropolis/latest-show

2 Likes

You might be looking at this video thumbnail and being like, “What in the world am I looking at?” Those are all musical notes, and in the case of this particular rendition of One Republic’s “Counting Stars”, there’s about 320,000 of them spread throughout the entire song. And for the Black MIDI genre, that’s tame. It’s less concerned about producing cohesive music (although generally speaking, there’s a dominant melody and rhythm throughout a BM song) and more about producing neat visual effects through whatever MIDI synthesizer program they’re using. The genre definitely isn’t for everyone, and this song certainly falls outside the norm, but it’s still a neat look into how artists are pushing the envelope in unique ways.

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

1 Like

Yeah, love that one. :smiley: There was a really good remix of it a couple years back, but for the life of me I can’t find it. Oh well.

==========

2 Likes

“The Movie came out a little over two years ago. It was shortly after, that the video I posted was made. It was my understanding the song was written particularly for that soundtrack, but I could be mistaken.”

“I did some googling, and yes, it WAS written for the Movie Soundtrack, but they leaked it a few months early. Guess they were proud of it.” >.>
/grin

2 Likes

Hard to put into words how this song makes me feel.

1 Like

Weird question but you posted the Russian band “Aspid” a few days ago I was wondering if you were ever part of any metal forums :grin: I’ve never seen it otherwise.

On topic:

2 Likes

The only other forum I post to is the progmetal subreddit, and even that’s a very rare occurrence. I actually learned about Aspid from a guy who used to post on the old off-topic boards here. Wish they would’ve made more music, they were excellent.

Overkill’s a cool band, too. Saw 'em in concert a few years ago. :]

2 Likes

Sylvanas did nothing wrong

1 Like

Thrall couldn’t even protect Gamon

Did you think we had forgotten. Did you think we had forgiven

2 Likes

“Players like you give me courage.”

3 Likes

My absolute favorite song off that soundtrack. Lost Boys is such a classic; it stands the test of time unlike so many other 80s movies I used to love.

The rest of the tracks off that release were kinda mediocre. “I Still Believe”, or whatever that saxophone track was, is a good one. Though, the scene in the movie where they use it always made me cringe.

Fire, chains, oiled up bodybuilder vocalist, and lots of hip thrusting. Then grab the sax and shred. /Facepalm LOL.

Still on my faves list tho, both the track you posted, and the movie.

1 Like

Zero 7 are one of my favorite bands of all time. Excellent chillout, jazzy vibes. Plus Sia before she was anyone at all (not in this particular track, though.) Tina Dico is amazing in her own right.

Excellent live performance as well. On KCRW of course. :+1:t4: Only thing is that it’s from, like, 2004 and the video looks like a cheap webcam was used to capture it LOL. The audio is still amazing, though.

2 Likes

I see one of the founding members of Steely Dan pretty regularly as part of my job, so I guess you could say I’m kind of a big deal.

2 Likes