What are you listening to now? V5 (Part 1)

2 Likes

Bonnie Raitt - I Can’t Make You Love Me

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

On the P.funk kick lately. Decided the other day to just binge the whole discography. So much Star Child and Nose D’void and all that old groovy stuff. Not to mention a popular sample every five minutes or so.

Anyway, some of my faves:

and

and

and

3 Likes

Downward was his piece de resistance, IMVVHO.

PHM, though, is nearly as awesome. Much more raw, stripped down, you get to kinda see the roots of where he ended up going. And so far ahead of its time (as cliche as that is to say hahaha.) I try to tell folks that’s an '80s album (technically, and just barely) and they don’t believe me LOL.

Anyway, on a different NIN tangent… love this one. Excellent beat, very danceable, brings me right back to the nineties.

… and just because it’s really interesting to compare the two…

3 Likes

They definitely borrowed something but musicians have always done that. I started with Downward but I think I burned myself out on it, I’d hear a song off of PHM on the radio and think, why don’t I have that? I think you’re right, though I prefer PHM for its rawness both are great albums. I eventually got PHM but it was during a heavy period of collection so I never burned myself out on it, DS was probably one of my first 50 CD purchases.

I resolved to play the first song that came up when I started my phone’s playlist.

1 Like

Right on!

I’d also recommend checking out ‘Broken’; it’s somewhere between PHM and DS. It’s more of an EP… back in the day on CD it was six tracks, then like 92 blank tracks, then the last two tracks were “hidden.”

My god I feel old going on about hidden tracks on CDs LOL.

Was going thru Broken lyrics in my head and seeing if I could post any tracks. I think this might be the only one that wouldn’t get me actioned hehehehe:

Edit: I seem to remember that the version I had contained the extra “hidden” tracks on an additional 3" CD. Ahh, nostalgia.

4 Likes

And then there’s this, and now I’ll let you folks breathe a bit LOL:

So much nineties.

“This is like a zoo, where they keep cool people.”

BWAHAHAHA lol.

3 Likes

I’d have posted Closer as the representative song from DS if it weren’t for that very reason. I accidentally left Closer on my playlist when it came up at work (I’m usually alone in the lab), I caught it before it got bad but I just imagined HR walking by as the lab is between the plant and the offices.

My first B+B experience, I was hooked.

3 Likes

2am here, my wife comes out, “WHAT THE HELL IS SO FUNNY??!!?!”

She was sleeping, I have headphones on … b&b are just too good.

2 Likes

I used to think they should get rid of the VJs and just use B&B to introduce the videos, far more entertaining.

2 Likes

I actually have Gloryhallastoopid on vinyl, and of course MC but that’s on CD. Love me some Bootsy. It all started with The Temptations.

Weird to think they’re the same band.

A guy I worked with said he saw them with the Four Tops and they both had choreographed dancing.
Have you tried G.Funk?

5 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes

We all need

2 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes