What are you listening to now? V5 (Part 1)

1 Like

Something different today

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

I may or may not have been reminded of this classic by a popular gaming channel on the youtubes

“Disco Duck” by Rick Dees (go ahead, say it, you know you want to)

3 Likes

When? Still workin’ on it, I guess.

/pensive

3 Likes

Considered by many to be the worst popular song ever. Love me some Parliament/Funkadelic/I forget their third name.

2 Likes
3 Likes

When I put together a Christmas mix I wanted to find the oldest Christmas song (carols was a term applied once it became more about kids in the 17th century). This was the oldest I found from around 350 AD, I think that was the start of the City of God era of Rome when they were falling but it was OK because it’s all part of God’s plan.

This is my go to carol, it came out during the war when a lot of sad Christmas music came out. She’s terrible at lip sync but boy could she hit those notes way before autotune made it easy to cheat.

4 Likes
4 Likes

The Mothership Connection!

2 Likes

I have that album, I even have a little of Bootsy’s solo stuff (I think that was the 3rd incarnation I was trying to remember). What I don’t have that I want is Funkadelic - Maggot Brain but it’s rare and I have other things I want too. So I was playing Mothership Connection in the lab one day and a coworker told me the story of how he saw Parliament in that tour, they had a space ship prop that landed on stage and Bootsy came out of it in a diaper. Performance art.

EDIT: Forgot to include a song. This song is what got me into Parliament, also off of Mothership Connection.

3 Likes

Been a while listening to rap.

RUN DMC, Jason Nevins - It’s Like That

Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby

MC Hammer - U Can’t Touch This

Ceci Bastida - Un Sueño ft. Aloe Blacc

2 Likes
2 Likes

Ain’t no school like the old school. People think rap came from emcees in the 70s but what they did was change and popularize a much older blues form imho. Not even our parents’ music, it’s our great grandparents’. Here’s the 1st rap song I ever heard from 1968, it’s been copied. Sorry, I think I posted this one before.

This is the 1st top 40 rap song from 1979, it’s where the term hip hop came from since people didn’t know the name so they asked for that hip hop song.

The first #1 rap song was this crossover hit in 1981. I love this video, it’s so 80s.

From 1982, it’s what I think of when I think old school.

I could go on, but I’ll end it with a Christmas song from 1987. Turn on closed captions for this one.

3 Likes

Have you seen The Get Down, on Netflix? Very entertaining and worth the watch if you like that era of hip hop

2 Likes

Timely

3 Likes

No I haven’t, I don’t have any subscription services right now. I did see Hip-Hop Evolution which I think is available on Netflix and is a pretty cool series.

3 Likes