What are the normal looting rules for five man healers?

Depends we talkin end game content or just leveling? Personally i always lead my 5 mans to avoid this kinda stuff. I only bring pally’s who are vocal on what they want, same with other warriors etc. The problem is those two classes want all the loot without doing the work, so i just tell em to make there own groups.

Normally it’s not a problem if you just talk about it with the person, one example is i’ll tank Ulda and go for the juicy 2h mace at the end, say i bring a pally. I’ll tell me i want it as well, even though i’m a tank. (Tank gear doesn’t come in till like BRD) He’ll eaither cry complain or won’t care, i also don’t mind making deals. I.E he can get the rings or other plate so long as i get this. Most people do honor this, i’ve won a few HOJ this way, as well as deathbone peice’s, just be a good judge of character. Chances are if you make / lead groups or just in general play with the same people of the mindset you want, you’ll / they’ll gravitate towards eachother.

One example is that, my priest friend who i do everything with never really minds passing gear over to our dps caster friends unless it’s her pre-raid BIS etc, and won’t take it unless it has spirit etc. Because we’ll probably be running it along and bringing the same people.

Then again that’s just me, it’s the mindset old school vanilla gave me throughout even like Wod / all the P servers i played.

it is simple
when you join the run make sure you choose one of the specs as your primary loot spec.
are you going to roll on enhancement loot as your priority or healing loot as your priority? make sure the group understands this.

then roll appropriately.
your secondary spec takes a back seat to anyone who is rolling for main spec. obviously.

1 Like

IMO, if a player is going to be “restricting” any gear and refusing to let others even roll for that item, then they should be forming their own groups and that restriction should be made clear when forming the group, not just “mentioned” after the group is formed.

IMO, a player who joins a group formed by another player should not even be thinking about “restricting” gear.

3 Likes

Very retail-esq mindset that guy has…

Why? The tank zoned in as a tank. By your logic, if tanking they should be rolling on tanking up grades, right? By your logic, the tank should be the one asking for the chance to roll on that “off spec” two hander, right?

1 Like

First, why are you trying to heal anything as enhancement? Second, I figured just about everybody had heirlooms by now. I have leveled tons of characters and most loot I get from runs is purely for transmogs these days. Third, 2H enhancement hasn’t been a thing since BC. You’re better off dual weilding and if you take a 2H weapon from a dps or tank that uses them shame on you.

I meant that the 2 people who want OS gear should discuss whether to roll need or greed on the OS drops.

I know this isn’t an issue with vanilla and how their items work… But I am rolling a shadow priest, and I will more than likely be healing most of the dungeons I do just because it’s quicker and honestly I only trust myself doing it. And if for some reason a dps only piece drops with +shadow or something, I am 100% rolling on that. I will obviously say beforehand that I am shadow but rolling on what you zone in as is silly seeing as how almost no one in leveling dungeons levels as their healing spec.

2 Likes

Shadow priest gear is a little easyier then say mage gear just due to only warlocks needing + shadow, and the fact that shadowpriest is the only caster dps that actually needs spirit if i remember right. Again, being vocal goes a long way, and i mean that for everyone. The only real problem i ever had with this problem was when i ran with people who didn’t know English, and Elitist EU players on Priv servers.

I mean if you just say, to your warlock “Hey i need this too” 99% of the time he’ll be okay with it.

Then I misunderstood you.

Still, a tank should not expect to be able to roll on 2 handed weapons if there is anyone in the group that uses 2 handed weapons in the role they are filling, IMO.

1 Like

It doesn’t matter. The group should communicate and let it be known what they want in the instance.

If someone doesn’t like it, they can leave and make their own group.

1 Like

I can only speak for myself, but if I was healing and wanted to roll need on any DPS gear, then I would make sure that the group was OK with me rolling need on DPS gear before I joined the group. I also would make it clear that I did not intend to roll need on healing gear if I was rolling need on DPS gear.

3 Likes

For sure that’s the scenario I was talking about. I let them know beforehand. And if the group says they aren’t cool with it, it just hurts them more than it does me because I can find a group in the next breath but they will be waiting for quite some time.

1 Like

Psssst… this is the Classic forum.

7 Likes

Depends if hes healing as enhance hes probably told them he wants enhance gear so he should beable to roll on it.
If not then what you are is what you should roll on for the group.
If hes healing no problem healing gear even though in higher levels there should be mail for him in certain dungeons he would be queing specific for.

The pain of being a mage is you share you upgrades with not just warlocks and priests but none cloth users.
The benefit of being a warrior is not everyone can use plate but everyone can use cloth.
But yeah if your off healing be sure to tell your party before they invite you that you are leveling as enhance and need enhance gear and that will be your main etc.

Yea if you are a tank and you are wanting to roll on a 2-hander, you need to establish that beforehand, and in my opinion you would not get any priority on
1-h weapons or shields.

1 Like

Very true, tanks shouldn’t be focused on 2h unless they established it beforehand.

I agree, but it can get more complex as it goes along, What if there’s a rogue in said group as well, tank is then shafted from all weap gear. Also if there’s a hunter as well? Thus why i always run with 2+ casters It splits gear evenly. Personally for leveling you’re not leveling with a sword and shield though, as that’s insane trust me i’ve done it… It’s not fun

Thus why we have atlas loot, besides loot isn’t normally a massive deal till end game, and if you are greedy people will know, or hear about it. But i also tank 2h till about 40ish myself.

With Classic having no LFD, and the Classic group finder (meeting stones and, later, innkeepers) not really ever being used, players will not likely be “queuing” for specific dungeons.

Players may choose to run a specific dungeon multiple times, but they will have to either form or find a group for each run. The game will not be doing that for them.

Tanks compete for 1h with rogues… nothing wrong with it…

I don’t really have a problem with rolling against people… it’s fair. I’m not sure why people care so much.

You get lucky, or you don’t… it’s how the cookie crumbles.

1 Like