What are the faction themes?

So I’ve gotten into this argument with people on this board before, but no conversation was really generated on this subject. So I would like to make a thread wherein we actually talk about what the themes the factions have. What makes a theme an ‘Alliance theme’, what makes a theme a ‘Horde theme’.

And let us take a moment to differentiate aesthetics from theme. Because I don’t consider paladins, and knights in armor to be Alliance themes. Because those are just aesthetics that go over the theme like a coat of paint. A berserker in very little clothes can be noble, and a knight girt in fullplate with a majestic steed can be evil. Those are just the drapery. What is the foundation like?

Let’s identify the themes Blizzard has written for both the Alliance and the Horde and see how that fits into faction identity.

1 Like

Alliance is being noble, honorable and cultured.

Horde is being savage, aggressive and some times morally ambigious.

I would have said evil but Bfa did alot to move away from this image.

1 Like

Horde generally should be villain themed races imo. Even if they aren’t actually evil. Orcs, Minotaurs and Undead are the type of enemies you fight in RPGs.
Blood Elves are a stretch but there are powerful sorcerer enemies in RPGs that do resemble them somewhat. Especially when you think of them sucking out magic and seeking power.

Alliance races I feel are more like regular people that take up arms to defend their kingdoms and villages.

1 Like

Blood elves used to be edgy mana vampires and then they got whitewashed.

2 Likes

sunwell restoration made us humanlite :sob:

1 Like

I think that at the beginning the differences were very clear. The Horde, as a much younger organization historically, was a nation on the rise. The various races were basically trying to build their infrastructure from the ground up and doing everything they could think of to gain resources. With few outside allies, this necessitated that they march into unknown territory and butt heads with whatever was already there; quilboar, centaur, night elves, Lorderon survivors, you name it. This had the effect of making the faction seem more active and exciting, but also arguably over-aggressive.

The Alliance, in contrast, was a group of already established kingdoms who had fallen on hard times. The human kingdom was rife with political corruption, the gnomish capital had been invaded and irradiated, the night elf kingdom was rife with demonic corruption, and the dwarves… I mean I’m pretty sure they had something going on. There was that whole Moira situation, right? Rather than being forced into aggressive expansionism, the Alliance was working to defend and reclaim what already belonged to them. This had the effect of making them look somewhat weak, but their goals were far more sympathetic.

The funny thing is that eventually (as soon as Burning Crusade in fact) they started swapping these qualities here and there. The Alliance gained the Draenei, a wayward and victimized people who were simply searching for a home, while the Horde gained the Blood Elves, a once noble and powerful race working to to return to their former glory. And it’s happened a few more times since then; the Horde gains allegence of ancient powerful kingdoms such as the Nightborne and Zandalari, the Alliance takes in desperate renegades like the Worgen and Void Elves.

I like to see it as intentional irony; both sides were so focused on what the other one WAS that they never noticed that they’ve become more similar to each other than anyone else.

6 Likes

Edit: Restored the post. Don’t know why I’m bothering since I don’t really feel up to discussing it like I thought I would at the time I wrote it, but at least the original post will be viewable.

Huh, I tried making a post about this once myself a while back but I deleted it after hitting my nerd shame limit of the day.

Well, going into this with admitting I’m biased in favor of the horde and all that. I also think aesthetics and themes are intertwined.

When I think of the alliance from a playable PoV, I think of stock medieval fantasy first: Typical Tolkienish races, knights in shining armor, Christian churches, wizards, etc. Human at its core, though dwarves overlap heavily with the additional “dig stuff up” and “beer”. Ancient practiced elves too, but night elves are/were supposed to keep one foot out of that by eschewing stereotypical wizard magic in favor of being nature fanatics.

Then, going into what their “core four” races show off in the game starting from vanilla, that filters down into those humans having knights, paladins, light worship. Dalaran being one of the original alliance kingdoms covers the wizard angle with arcane magic. Dwarf digging is for the purpose of archeology, researching the past, and learning about the titans. I’d think night elves subvert that the most, relatively speaking, but still not by very much because their magic is forest-themed. So moon worship and the Emerald Dream “belongs” to them.

The only real missing link there is the other half of elves, which wouldn’t be “resolved” until void elves got blood elf skin tones.

The horde gets a little messier because its direction changed in WC3, but when I think of that faction, one of the core aspects of it is “monster races you’d typically expect protagonists to slaughter en masse for EXP”, but with the important caveat that maybe those monsters are people too, and not evil even though they may look the part. All of the core four horde races fall under this: their appearance, the spookier magic they’re associated with, the way they live, all fall under more fringe depictions in fantasy (from what I’ve seen). But whereas the alliance plays friendly tropes straight, the horde’s subversion of evil tropes is itself an important theme.

When boiled down into how WoW shows them, I think of its shamanism, warlocks (if the horde actually had any notable ones), berserkers, overall “wilder” aesthetics, etc. But orcs also come with racial guilt as a theme, which is part of what was used to subvert their evil monster trope in the first place. Forsaken take zombies and express that through a wild mishmash of emotional and mental damage, and religious persecution. Tauren took the rampaging cannibalistic minotaur myth and turned them into gentle giants. Trolls… are just filler, I guess, lol.

Everything beyond the original 8 is either an attempt to be a twist or flavoring, and I guess I struggle to care about what the expansion races bring to the game because I think the factions’ original appeals supersede an individual race in importance. (Which is why horde’s heavy blood elf population bums me out so much.)

As the factions are now, though? Meh. I think the faction wars have broken that original horde theme too thoroughly to be repairable. You could probably delete the faction and all of its races and the only thing that would adversely affect the story from here on out is the sunwell going missing for residual high elves.

2 Likes

Blood elves saved the Horde from dying out. That is the harsh reality. Nobody wants to play as ugly people. Humans and night elves are still most played for this reason.

This probably would have been a good plot point to have that would lead us into a Cross-Faction world.

But I’d rather Blizzard just…not try and just ignore it and let us play together lol.

ALLIANCE:
Being Good

HORDE:
Being Evil
But Also Overcoming Their Evil And Being Good
Being Evil
Being Evil
Being Evil
Being Evil
Being Evil
Being Evil
But Also Overcoming Their Evil And Being Good…

5 Likes

I don’t think either faction boasts a theme entirely absent from the other at this point, only monopolies on those themes. Redemption, for instance, is a theme much more prevalent on the Horde than the Alliance; as is identity, and family, and corruption, and honor. I’d also argue the loss and reclamation of tradition is a theme better represented on the Horde, quite ironically explored through orcs and blood elves, two of its most disparate races.

I’m harder pressed to list off predominantly Alliance themes - loss, vengeance, and renewal spring to mind - but again, these are integral to half the Horde’s races too.

I have OP muted but it’s such a banal question unless we’re discussing the IRL basis of each race/nation within each faction which are far more rigid/distinct from eachother. Those are stable.

Dwarves get Scottish/irish references, Blood Elves do not. Forsaken get Southern Gothic/Victorian Penny Dreadful references, Gilneans/Kul Tirans get some of that, but Stormwind does not. Goblins have NY Metropolitan Area Accents (mainly Brooklyn imho), Trolls have Patois/AAVE, etc.

The themes we can derive are via the motifs invoked by their IRL basis + their in-game histories.

But if you compare each instance of Horde vs Alliance naming of theme, i.e.,

• The Ultimate Visual Guide
  • The orignal guidebook thing
  • The Pandaren choice screen
  • The BFA interviews/xpac reveal
  • Chronicles (lmao)
  • and even right now with Exile’s Reach first intro screen as it zooms in on the boat,

there is absolutely zero consistency. Even worse when you try to compare those with the actual writing of this game.

As time goes on, some themes have blended together, while some themes were forgotten, and new ones were included.

It could be just my opinion, but the Horde felt like we were crawling out of ruins to make something. Even the glorious Sindorei are playable in the aftermath of their near destruction. Silvermoon is still a wreck.

The Tauren just escaped a genocide by centaur. The Darkspear are practically transient vagabonds being chased out of everywhere. The Forsaken actually did crawl out of the grave and afterward, tried a new existence. The Orcs broke out of internment and are trying to reestablish some form of society.

The Alliance never gave me that feeling of being on the edge of oblivion. Stormwind, Ironforge, and Teldrassil are all imposing with impressive scenery and surroundings. On the other side, Thunderbluff had plains as far as the eye could see. Org had dirt as far as the eye could see. Undercity had a blighted landscape as far as the eye could see.

Maybe it is not a theme so much as a vibe I get. The Alliance feels like you are stepping out of the house to adventure. While the Horde feels like your house was scourged by Arthas, or your house was far away before you were chased out by meaner Trolls, and you have no where to go but forward.

(This was mostly regarding the starting experiences early in the game. How we met the races as playable in WoW)

2 Likes

Damn dude. Maybe it’s just the Felweed flowin through me, but that was insightful and hit the nail on the head. My mind if kinda blown.

Alliance:

Horde: