What are PVP servers like?

Haven’t played in few months but pvp is pvp on a pvp server at any level.

the words of the levelcapped stealth class…

I love playing on a PVP server. It’s part of why I came back to Classic. I loved it in Vanilla and I love it now.

Yes, you get ganked, it doesn’t matter to me. You can also gank. Yes, you don’t get to keep world buffs a lot of the time for raid, but keeping the buffs is a challenge and that makes it more fun.

You end up having specific server enemies and making groups with people on your server to fight others. You get to contest resources and zones with half of the player base if you want.

If you fight or not it’s random. You never know what the other guy is going to do.

I think it’s fun, a PVE server would be boring to me. Not everyone likes PVP servers and that’s ok. People can like what they like.

3 Likes

That’s not why I’m playing. People need to stop pretending that they can talk for everyone else. There are way too many know it all posters who think they know everything but really don’t (and yes these things might just be trolling too).

4 Likes

here’s a secret few people will tell you. You can be on a pvp server and run by opposing faction players and nothing happens. Nobody is forced to PVP even on a PVP server. In fact, that’s what happens a lot of the time as people are just trying to do their own thing and not pvp 100% of the time. PVP servers are NOT constant gank fests. P2 is long behind us.

I think this video sums it up fairly well…

Also shows you the differences between the Classic and Retail experiences. :smiley:

Thanks.

3 Likes

On a PVP server, there are a lot of times where you just pass an opposing faction member and go along your way. Sometimes you wave, sometimes they wave back. There are a lot of times where you’re farming alongside an ally farming.

And then there’s times and places where you can get ganked at any time (BRM, STV, EPL, Silithus, Steppes).

And as others have said, you can build up knowledge of how other people play; there are a lot of world farming areas where you’ll interact with the same guilds or players over and over and over again.

I’ve fought one guild endlessly over Black Lotuses in Steppes to the point where I basically fight any of their guildees there.

And then there are other faction guilds where nobody really PVPs. Just download Spy and build up a lot of interactions with other ppl.

1 Like

I’m a PVE player, but I was curious. So in retail I leveled one character from 55 (death knight) all the way to 120. I never got interested in PVPing, so I was just leveling.

I really didn’t get ganked very often. Maybe a couple times a week. No big deal – run back, rez and keep playing.

The exception was when I did something stupid – I’m on a flight path, and go AFK. So my character lands and just sits there. Of COURSE it’s dead when I get back to the computer…

I have fun running 5 mans and getting into fights in WPVP.
There’s more to the game than parsing and sweaty BG premades.

Sometimes a horde rogue likes to wave his epeen around at redridge. But most the time it’s just raid logging or instance farming with an occasional bg

in most classic pvp servers you average being ganked about 50-75 times an hour leveling no matter where.

not sure why the guy is talking about leveling to 120 above…

at end game its not as bad but dont hang around the main drags

Prepare to be ganked. Good to level FA and have pots on you as you lvl. They can make a difference when it is a 1v1 at similar levels especially if you invest in early bandages that are over you level.

PvP servers are where everyone goes into instanced content unless they have a group of people to move with. Dying sucks and people do what is ever in their power to mitigate that.

Or they play a rogue.

1 Like

Rolling on a PVP server you must be prepared to be inconvenienced every now and then. People will gank you. It will be unfair. You will be level 30 something trying to quest in STVietnam and you will be killed by a group of 5 level 60’s camping Nesingwary. You will get ganked on the boat between Ratchet and Booty bay. You will have people do just enough damage to you while you are grinding mobs that the mob kills you and causes durability damage to your gear. You will have level 60’s gank you for the offense of fighting their precious elementals in Arathi or Badlands. You will have 60’s gank you for the offense of being the opposite faction. You will be corpse camped by jerks. You will become well acquainted with the resurrection timer. You may even grow to hate the other faction.

On the other hand, you will also be able to gank people. You will be able to kill someone who is trying to quest in the same area slowing you down, provided they are of the opposite faction. You will have moments where you reverse gank - killing someone who tried to kill you. You may even have a group of 60’s come to your aid and hunt down the 60’s that killed you.

Don’t listen to the people who nay say the experience. PVP servers are NOT for everyone, but they add a layer of challenge absent in the PVE server / retail experience. There are plenty of people who play in the open world and don’t just boost inside of instances. There is also a certain sense of satisfaction you will get when you overcome adversity. That notification of an honorable kill out in the world can sometimes feel quite satisfying, especially when you turn the tides on someone around your level trying to gank you.

2 Likes

Are you assuming that I have only one toon? :wink:

I see a retail 120 who came to pick a forum fight lmao…sadboi. I won’t assume that’s your only toon though…bring some Classic toons by the forum and have some fun!

this was my classic toon. back in vanilla.

2 Likes

How are you enjoying Classic this time around?!

it’s overly mechanized and lacking the RPG feeling after around level 50 but it’s infinitely more open to pugging and social than it was back then.

it’s a very different experience.

1 Like

Aww, phase 2 was an exciting experience here on Faerlina, it was like participating in a whole story arc. It was fantastic.

Not every zone, most players don’t really care. There’s always ganking in tarren mills, world herb and mining zones, satyrs, furbolgs.

Absolutely, in places like Hillsbrad farms, or Arathi farms. Angry paladins cleaving innocent 29s through thousand needles on their way to rfk groups.

There was literally a carpet of corpses from thorium point flight path to BRD in phase 2, you couldn’t get lost. It’s a bit calmer now but it really makes going to dungeons much more exciting.

What’s the point of playing world of warcraft if you can’t interact with the world, and the world can’t interact with you?

Gotcha! So what classes do you deem acceptable to make comments on the PvP server experience? Rogues and druids are out obviously.