What are Phoenix's?

Just some bird shaped fire elemental? Or is there more to it than that?

1 Like

Essentially, yes. You can visit part of the Firelands in-game and see a whole ecosystem of fire creatures. Phoenixes, like most of the creatures you see there, are a sub-species of elemental.

1 Like

Aren’t the Phoenix we see in the Firelands Green Dragons reforged by Ragnaros?

2 Likes

My point is just that elementals don’t have to look like blobs.

Ahh gotcha.

As of right now Thalassian Phoenixes are a Fire Elemental.

However, Rukhmar’s mount drop is also called a phoenix, and she’s a Wild God embued with Light.

And Pandaren Phoenixes are just… flying peacocks.

I expect Thalassian Phoenixes to be retcon’d to be some sort of Fire-Light being from the Lightlands soon.

2 Likes

Well, we see Green Dragons reforged by Ragnaros - Which wasn’t too far fetched because the Dragons themselves ascended from Proto-Drakes who were from elemental creatures of which most were somewhat impacted by the curse of flesh from the Old Gods.

Ruhkmar was a being of fire, light and nature - as a Wild Goddess of Draenor; her story from Chronicles was rather touching; and overall enjoyable. Given in Tempest Keep we see Al’ar as a ‘Phoenix God’ it may provide opportunity storywise for more to develop on.

That being stated - many beings, of various origins were evolved and ascended in various, curious and awe inspiring ways by the energies from the Well of Eternity; so they could play upon the factor that their species were somewhat born into Azeroth the same way, but who knows where Blizzard may decide to go with it.

Personally I’d like to hope there’s more to the Phoenix’s than just mere ‘Elemental’.

Think of it as convergent evolution- they all have different origins (Fire elemental, light, green dragon) but converged towards the same morphological form of a Phoenix.

That’s how I see most sentient life forms on Azeroth and other worlds anyway.

2 Likes

I think Firehawks existed before that happened, and we only see it happen to one green dragon, who got turned into one as a reward for freeing Staghelm from his prison.

Proto-drakes predate the curse of flesh. We know this because Odyn made the halls of valor when the aspects became the aspects and Odyn became trapped in the halls when Loken was covering up his murder of Sif, which was when Yogg corrupted the forge of wills.

A tad.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_(mythology)

1 Like

I love the mythology of the Phoenix. It is why it is the symbol of the Sin’dorei and why I chose a blood elf for my character. They rose once again from the ashes of the Quel’dorei after the injustices of Arthas.

3 Likes

I was referring to the cannon-book Chronicles: Volume 1, upon page 40 – "When the keepers had sealed off the Elemental Plane, some stragglers had escaped banishment. The fury of these spirits had ebbed over time, and they had become creatures of flesh and blood. It was from these former elementals that some forms of wildlife, such as proto-drakes, came to be."

I used the curse of flesh as a mere example of they (other various elementals) could have come into being the way they are, as referenced in some various quests for other different types of species.

But yeah, the proto-drakes I’m guessing became flesh & bone the same way some various Draenor elementals did - through powerful sparks of spirit-energy infused into them overtime, in unique ways. It could had also been various energies of the Well of Eternity - The books don’t necessarily specify the details of the transformation.

They are like a Fire Elemental Bird from Firelands. That’s where Kael gets his Phoenix from.

I would avoid using that term outside of the actual curse of flesh. Since the actual curse of flesh is an important event in the lore.

Well yeah, that’s precisely why I used it though.

The curse of flesh gave form to many species, and actually shaped many forms and sparked the flame to many cultures - It was a curse, but unintentionally formed by the Old Gods was a blessing too. (And before you argue against that – Chronicles literally states the same ordeal).

Except you said that the proto-drakes were affected by the curse of flesh that was created by the old gods

Which simply isn’t true. As I have already explained (using actual lore). So you can’t just change it and say “I didn’t mean the old god version, I meant it in a general form” when you got called out on it.

Own up to your mistakes instead of making excuses and moving the goal posts.

Also it is funny how you tried to act smart by saying “well actually, according to this canon source, blah blah blah” even though it failed. The elementals that became proto-drakes were not affected by the Curse of Flesh (the one created by Yogg-saron) period and no matter how many times you say they were or try and spin it your way, it won’t chance that fact.

I made an error in stating it was the curse of flesh from the Old Gods which wasn’t the case, I acknowledge that - but they were still made flesh from elemental form. As stated -

And later corrected myself for the Proto-drakes having flesh / potentially how -

That’s from Chronicles Volume 2, which is as you say ‘Actual Lore’.

It’s funny how you try to downgrade others and say ‘funny how you tried to act smart’ and say it failed, when if you actually read it; which it appears you did not - you’d know it didn’t really fail, and these ‘flaws’ you meagerly attempted to point out, were already addressed.

Then try reading perhaps instead of attempting to throw shade. Forums are built for discussion, ideas and problem solving :man_shrugging: Take a chill pill & see the depth. But y’know - Reading more. Wonderful thing that. Works wonders. Shocking, I know …

And yet when I said you shouldn’t use that term in the future, you double downed on it saying “well that is why I used it, because reasons”.

Well, it’s still valid to the argument of the phoenix subject and how their lore could evolve or get a more richer history. That’s essentially the subject of this thread ‘What are phoenix’s’ I wanted to build on that.

The argument you tried to establish was simply built on the curse of flesh, but the point I was making in the initial comment was that the Flame Hawks - Green Dragons reforged by Ragnaros, in some point of their evolution were elemental in form before they became flesh & bone. That aspect remains true, and the faults were already pointed out and addressed - but you seem to be hellbent on downgrading & derailing the subject despite that.

1 Like