What am I doing wrong? Spriest M+

Hello. Just came back to game and leveled a priest to jump into mythics as I really like the play. I’m following the available guides as I learn the class but my AoE damage just bites so bad. I also play a monk and have no issues doing massive AoE burst. Spriest just feels so clunky in big packs having to void form or dot to get mastery before spamming mind sear/searing nightmare and still just getting trashed on the meters. Am I missing something or is this just spriest life?

One thing I learned is that tab-dotting is basically pointless and will put you behind on damage on trash packs. You have to just open up with Mind Sear + Searing Nightmare and continue spamming that if there’s 3 or more mobs in a trash pull.

Shadow Priests are just clunky on how they do AOE damage vs other classes which just push one button and do it all.

Spriest AoE is not great on a whole unless you save Insanity and just spam Mind Sear+Searing Nightmare then void form and do the same. Where they REALLY shine (especially at higher ilvl) is ST.
Don’t worry too much about AOE as there is always going to be better options.
Like when I play Feral, the AoE is kinda sad but the burst and sustain ST is amazing.

I wouldn’t be quite so cut and dry, if you’re doing pulls that only last 10-15 seconds it’s absolutely in your best interest to front load your highest damage globals and sacrifice overall DPS, but when pulls are longer you’ll need to get comfortable with the dot management and sustain damage side of things.

Right now in 9.1, if the pulls consistently go big enough, shadows aoe is some of the best in the game. But pulls that big are incredibly rare outside of organised groups or the MDI.