We're not making enough noise about layering

The current technology is built on a cloud stack, this is why there is layering. It’s not a physical server sitting in a basement somewhere, it’s literally an interface like Amazon AWS that lets them add computes/memory/diskspace to increase performance when it is needed. On top of this, they probably have several repetitive nodes that are there in case something happens to the others. My guess is the newer client has all the logic built in to it to handle the way cloud computing works. Too many players? Create a new instance from time point (x) and apply (y) players to it. They have so many concurrent instances that it becomes seamless to switch between them, but honestly, it’s not something they can’t utilize entirely because of the advantages it hold over the servers we used 10+ years ago.

1 Like

Thx for your lights :slight_smile:

I expect some servers WILL retain higher concurrencies than others for various reasons. Not all servers will settle at the same level at the same pace. This is when queues and free realm transfers will likely take effect. Most people will have less of a problem with high pop, hopping realms than dead ghost towns. The first is a sign of a health, the other is a dead end.

Your “possible B” is beyond me to answer as I am not a techie, although from reading others’ posts on the subject of infrastructure, it sounds like that shouldn’t be an issue.

Again, queues and realm transfers. It is possible they may also just increase concurrency caps a bit and let people compete for resources. The main issue is keeping the realms playable at launch and preventing dead realms 1-3 months into Classic. We’ll all be thrilled at high pop servers I think.

Really, what is wrong with you?

You can’t tell the difference between keeping a game the same it is, and something that saves thousands of lives?

Nobody’s going to be hurt if Classic WoW is as close to Vanilla as possible- but a lot of players are going to be very disappointed if it’s greatly changed.

2 Likes

► Klaudia Gawlas Spielstaub Podcast //

right can’t haircutters layer better.

just don’t shard servers together. and no auto silence and this gonna be a great ride.

No. I feel like this take of yours is the only thing that comes from bad faith.

Layering has already shown in the Beta and as described that it will be extremely detrimental to Classic. Even the first few weeks of having layering in the servers will fundamentally alter the experience for the entirety of Classic due to servers starting off way differently than they did in the past. Certain realms like streamer realms are going to be way too overcrowded, whereas others will be completely ignored, as opposed to forcing people to play on low pop realms when the high pop realms are full and stuck in queue times.

Not to mention all the other exploits and economy breaking factors.

So no, we’re not going off bad faith. We’re going off clearly presented facts and evidence. No ‘faith’, good or bad, needed.

2 Likes

What in the world have you been smoking, dude? I think it may be time to lay off it. No part of your post has any relation to “clearly presented facts and evidence,” nor does it employ logic or common sense.

Nice try, but layering and how it works is obvious to everyone at this point. Blizzard has explained it. It’s been showcased in videos, as well as clips showing the exploits in detail. If anything I feel like you’re the one smoking something and now reaching for an outlandish argument since it’s plainly obvious by reading this thread and then experiencing or reading about layering for yourself that nothing here is false or illogical. I haven’t at any point ascribed to layering traits it doesn’t have.

I have after expressing these facts stated what my opinion is on what should be done.

So with that I’d say if you say I need to ‘lay off’ you need to be in a full on program because you’re not making sense. You’re just saying words that aren’t true because you’re upset.

:rofl:

I am one of those who’ve been making serious, thought-out posts on this subject. Post which the layering fear-mongerers never respond to directly. I’m not saying you’re one of those, I’m just sayin’.

You titled this thread correctly. You’re making nothing but noise.

One thing about that is while sometimes it was frustrating competing for tags it was also cool to sometimes group up with the people you’re competing with and work together on the quest instead. Also you can occasionally make a new friend to do things with in the future that way.

Looks like dynamic respawns have been added to Classic. I played it today on the stress test and it did seem to make the game playable somewhat. However I still hope they remove layering as soon as possible. I don’t care if they keep dynamic respawns, I liked it personally.

Dynamic respawns on the stress test did a great job of mitigating this. I think if they keep that and get rid of layering it’d be decent.

it bothers me how… there’s only like 13 servers for classic. wha the heck… it seems like there’s no way they will remove layering… too few servers…

They wanna keep us in huge mega-layered server bundles… so dumb… layering never going away

You might be glad for layering when the westfall Defias traitor is ganked by horde after you wait for an hour to actually do it because there is going to be a long line.

Couldn’t find a tailor in Org on top of the bank because he was layered. :roll_eyes:

Layering should be disabled in Capital Cities.

That’s insane. With the small amount of realms announced that makes me even more worried about the potential for layering to stick around. It’s obvious all the realms are going to be absolutely stuffed and super layered in the first few weeks. I hope it doesn’t last past that.

I’m not sure where the 13 servers number came from, but if it’s official then that means they expect Classic to only have 52k players after “a few weeks”? Get ready for perma layering I guess.

Do people even realize that if we resubscribe we’re paying the full price for a loaf of fresh servers and they’re giving us a few slices of stale bread because they don’t want to hassle with giving people what they’re paying for?

1 Like

I am amazed at what modern WoW has done to people… Just reading some of these post … stop wining about layering … stop posting about it … layering is fine … Clearly modern wow has taken the desire out of wanting to make a name for yourself out of so many of you … The game is great … But its the tight nit everyone knows each other feel that made vanilla what it was to me … You people sadden me .

3 Likes