We're not making enough noise about layering

Enough people to get blizzard to even consider doing classic in the first place.

You say it like I’m some sort of outside entity, I’ve been here for a while. I didn’t come here to threaten anyone, layering’s done that for me, I’ve simply come here to explain my concerns, you know, like blizzard asked for. You can say it’s not a problem but that doesn’t solve the fact that it very much is, it won’t KILL the game, but it would be an overall negative compared to the issues that it creates which are very real issues.

PRIVATE servers. Which, by any account, are not at all an accurate representation of Blizzard servers. Saying layering being necessary is just as much fact as you saying pservers won’t be sent C&D letters and won’t need to comply.

Neither do you purists on other posts of what people would like to see in classic, but you do, report, call names, and harass people for it. And maybe not you personally, but many do. So maybe just don’t make this post.

Private server’s are the closest thing to actual vanilla we’ve had in over a decade. They may not represent the exact gameplay and tuning but as far as player retention goes it’s very much accurate. Imagine how many MORE players will be willing to stick around now that there’s far fewer bugs and exploits in actual classic?

You are free to come here and explain your concerns.
We all are.

You are not free to berate and just out of hand call those who try to reason with you with their point as stupid or inferior.

You should also try to refrain from praising Pservers. While the great myth, from your first sentence, says that we all should bow down and thank you, the facts are there have been LOTS of forces asking for this. And many of us never went outside of what is right and wrong to do it.

So yes. You do have the right to speak your opinion. So do others. And from what I have seen, some of them sympathize with you. But you won’t ever know that because of . . anger? something. Not sure. .

But thank you for your passion.

1 Like

FYI, I’ve started a thread on layering exploits and problems here. You’re welcome to link it to your thread.

4 Likes

I would appreciate a citation.

The petition that ended up on the desk of Mark Kern was spurred into existence after Nost’s shutdown. It wasn’t the only factor, but it was certainly one of the most notable ones.

I think you might be misinterpreting my tone, which is easy to do as internet conversations are text and not vocal based. I communicate in a very cold, to the point manner that I will admit can easily be interpreted as agitated or ignorant, but that is not the perspective I engage from.

1 Like

Requesting response to this. Top quote is a convenient up-arrow to my post.

I honestly agree in most regards, if layering was for a very short period of time (say, exclusively the first week) and then completely removed while incentivizing people to move to lower pop servers free of cost I’d be satisfied, my issue is far more that from the sound of it we would be looking at it until the end of phase one with no real mention of transfers or any other sort of measure to support it afterwards.

Thank you for responding, first of all.

This appears to be their intended plan. From early discussions of layering in general, it was to avoid dead servers, right? And considering they added plenty of new servers in Vanilla to compensate a growing playerbase, it’s pretty easy to assume they’d do the same. That’s why they can be so confident in “Layering will be removed before Phase 2”. Cause they’ll just add a couple servers, or direct toward the lower pop ones.

Layering was never intended to be a final result. It may cause some high queue times for a while as they open a few more servers. But mitigated.

1 Like

Well, as long as there’s more in place to prevent the issues caused by it and that it’s as short term as humanly possible it would appear as a lot less of an issue. My understanding was that they would be relying on it up to phase 2 to keep a concentration of players on a smaller number of servers and expect populations to dissipate enough to permit it’s removal.

1 Like

It is certainly true that blizzard hasn’t commited to when layering will be removed.

But by it’s nature layering automatically stops happening when it’s not needed. If we get to phase 2 and there are still servers that require multiple layers, we’ll see.

That’s pretty much the root of my concern, the less time it exists the better and I’m just worried we could see it around for longer than initially expected.

Phase 2 was supposed to be pretty soon, right? 2 months at most, I think was suggested. It wouldn’t be awful if that’s their limit. Less than - as Ion stated 2 weeks - would be much preferred. But I can handle 2 months if need be.

They have. I believe Ion stated in an interview that it CANNOT exist when World Bosses are active (Which was a P2 situation). Meaning there will not be layering past that point. They would open new servers at that point.

Minor Edit: Grammar.

Well that’s just not true for many people. I have watched the videos regarding layering and also, I have been in the last three stress tests and experienced firsthand how it’s working, at least up to this point.

I do believe those of us who have experienced layering firsthand have every right to voice our opinions on it.

If layering were to go live how it is at this moment, it is game breaking in many ways like the OP said. Why does it seem ok for you to have an opinion on it but those of us who have experienced it should just remain silent? No, sorry, not happening.

3 Likes

Same as sharding in terms of player experience. Six of one half dozen of the other.

1 Like

Kinda have to. Want to be part of the community. But i dont want the “new” tab be filled with nothing but complaints about layering. Rather have them off my screen.

I guess it wouldn’t be such an issue after 2 months, though that is still a sizeable chunk of time in the context for gameplay. I do hope I’m wrong about they numbers at the end of it but it’s still something I’m a bit concerned about based on what I’ve personally seen.

1 Like

Negativity sucks but it always helps to be honest, things end up more positive when we end up taking care of existing issues and concerns.

2 Likes

Yeah… Ion… a font of wisdom… We’ll see when phase 2 hits, if there are still say servers requiring 5 shards, I don’t think that will stand.