Welcome to Story Forum - Read This Before You Post!

Greetings Heroes of Azeroth!

This forum is here to provide you with a friendly environment where you can discuss the Warcraft Universe and storylines of Azeroth with your fellow players. Community forums work best when participants treat their fellow posters with respect and courtesy. It’s recommended to read through the forum Code of Conduct before posting.

1. BE OBJECTIVE

Do not come into this forum and make threads that begin with “So and so is such a terrible character” or loaded questions with heavy bias, i.e. “Why is the Horde so evil?” Doing so is just going to incite other posters an inevitably turn the thread into a flame war. On certain occasions this can also be grounds for disciplinary action. Play nice and keep an open mind. We’re here to discuss story elements, not argue over opinions. Try to think like a writer.

This is especially true for highly controversial topics like the Forsaken.

2. THIS FORUM IS NOT FOR FAN-MADE FICTION

Despite what the name may imply, the Story Forum is not for sharing or discussing fan-made material. It is for discussing officially sanctioned lore/stories only. In short, if it doesn’t have a Blizzard logo, it doesn’t belong here. That doesn’t mean you’re forbidden from linking any fiction you may have written (it can be useful in explaining your position on a topic, for instance) or posting the odd paragraph; however, copying large amounts of text or creating threads specifically for any fiction you’ve written will be deleted or moved.

If you want to discuss your own material please take it to the fine folks at the World’s End Tavern Forum (otherwise known as the RP forum).

3. WE ARE NOT YOUR ENCYCLOPEDIA

On that note, this is not a Q&A forum. Think of it like a book club. You wouldn’t show up to your group meeting and then start asking everyone what happened in the last chapter. You’re expected to do your own research before coming here and opening topics for discussion.

Wowpedia, a crowd-sourced wiki on nearly everything you could possibly want to know about the Warcraft universe. A superb first-stop and excellent reference material for discussions but it may change soon.

That said, if there’s something that’s notably vague or unclear, by all means bring it up! Just avoid questions that can be solved easier and quicker with a search engine than a forum post.

4. BACKUP WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY

Be clear and concise with what you’re trying to say and provide as much source material as is helpful. The more information you provide, the easier it will be for others to understand and respond to what you are trying to say. This is especially true for potentially obscure in-game quests.

5. USE SPOILER TAG

When you’re about to make a thread about unreleased content from PTR or recently released novel, please put [SPOILER] tag into the thread title and try to use a spoiler-free title for other players who are trying to avoid spoilers.

6. HAVE FUN

This forum enjoys a very close relationship with its posters. Be respectful to your fellow posters and don’t make inflammatory attacks against Blizzard or members of its staff. This forum has a rather unique dynamic that is much… healthier than other forums, so don’t come in here with a poisonous attitude.

New ideas or insights are always welcome, as are humor and witty banter. Engage in topics that you find really exciting, but don’t openly scoff at those that don’t. Don’t be afraid to change your mind. The past, present, and future are all fair game. Just be mindful of the rules and common courtesies, and above all else, have fun geeking out.

Unofficial Story Forum Discord:

https://discord.gg/6fuhsB7
Updated: November 25, 2019
47 Likes

Someone please pin this.

8 Likes

This was obviously written before BFA…

61 Likes

gonna have to stop you there, 65% of the story forum posters wouldn’t return

14 Likes

But Dawnsong…

Sylvanas is a terrible, evil character, who has slaughtered children and puppies for ages. Also, what happens in the Horde campaign again? And when was Sylvanas raised? I cannot back up these facts…

And no. No fun is allowed in here or WoW in general.

3 Likes

It could use some work as far as word usage in general. Also, be a touch less dismissive. But I agree with the spirit of the OP.

For new posters:

Fanfiction and RP --> World’s End Tavern

Story Forum = Discussions of the story that Blizzard lays before us. Discussions of Warcraft’s canon events and characters. Interpretations and arguments on what qualifies as such. And so forth.

And try to understand: people have varied opinions on things you may hold sacred.

8 Likes

Thank Bornakk for the pin.

9 Likes

Thanks! I’m sure this thread will be useful for new posters.

8 Likes

Dang, nicely done Dawn! :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

And mayhaps some old ones :slight_smile:

I get that some people aren’t thrilled with aspects of the writing coming out of Blizzard (I include myself in that category), but it’s really not difficult to have a discussion without snark or throwing shade. And its certainly much more pleasant to participate in conversations that avoid such things.

3 Likes

Gosh I have no idea how people could not be objective. They should just look at my carefully constructed posts on Elune and the Forsaken.

But… but… sometimes that’s the funnest part! :sob:

3 Likes

Poor Dawn. I’ll always remember you with your red background! Horde 4 Life!

Dawnsong, thank you for posting this thread.

It’s changed my life.

2 Likes

This obviously wasn’t. Look at the date, it was months after BfA. Maybe stop hating on everything Blizzard does because people don’t like the expansion.

It was copy/pasted verbatim from a 2010 post on the top of the old forum.

3 Likes

I’m just gonna quote Balnazzar, “Her heart is still Elven”. I’m still Blood Elf player at heart and always will be!

I reiterated ground rules and common courtesies from the old forum with some changes (removing stuff like “don’t talk about StarCraft” etc) as said in the OP.

But I kept “Everyone here loves the work that Blizzard does” because I Iiked the enthusiasm of the OP. I could reword it better, though :thinking:

2 Likes

Welcome back to team red Dawn!

1 Like

These days there is no distinction between fact and opinion. (Here or in politics.) You know you are right. So that is a fact. Anyone else is lying or stupid.

So yes, it will be a problem. OTOH, debate is impossible without that same separation. So working on it is the right thing to do.

It should be remembered that none of this is binary. If you remember that the Alliance killed Sylvanas’ envoys, but not were it comes from. It is OK for someone to challenge that for a source. If you don’t have one. A) That doesn’t make the statement wrong, B) It does mean people have cause to doubt it, C) nobody “wins” the point, D) in the end (and this is worth remembering) most other people (ie the ones you really want to convince) will make up their minds based on what they believe to be true, no matter what games one plays.

1 Like