We need to talk about how we talk about stories

In the case of the Sludge Fields though, you have the one case of Stilwater being killed (not for what he was doing to the humans mind you, but because he was involving other Forsaken in his experiments) but then he comes back in the Legion incursion, and then he comes back AGAIN in war table missions.

This gives the impression that any Forsaken objections to the Sludge Fields are the exception rather than the rule, which is honestly the more consistent angle anyway since what happened at the Sludge Fields wasn’t much different from what happened at the Apothecarium in the Undercity. The Forsaken suddenly caring about the welfare of their prisoners and test subjects was the out of character notion.

People don’t listen to “Actually the Sludge Fields were bad and the Forsaken stopped it” because that’s radically inconsistent with established Forsaken characterization.

And this actually is a good point. It’s something that, again, overrides the impact of the base facts of the situation.

My first impression was WTF. Because that was completely off the deep end even by RAS standards. That’s why I completed the questline. Because I was real curious where this was going.

If you just say “Well I’ve seen enough” and walk away from content before finishing it that’s fine. That’s been my general reaction to Mythic Dungeons and Pet Battles. But I don’t try to argue with people about those topics as I don’t know what I’m talking about.

1 Like

So. Does the above mean that Baalsamael cannot talk about politics, racism, nationalism, history, because only he is well versed in all this?

Betray is a strong word, more like realize that she’s blindly devoted to her cause, even if it’s self sabotaging, and chooses not to continue to help her, would be more accurate.

I agree that’s far more likely than him outright betraying her. although, I’m not sure how he would have a problem with the Jailer if Sylvanas doesn’t. The Jailer is kind of a huge jerk for obliterating souls and what not
 but at the same time, the people that the Jailer is trying to overthrow have incorporated him into their system. So, I’m not so sure that he is wrong for trying to get rearrange things. I think we should just kill all the Eternal ones (except Sire Denathrius
 he’s cool) and take over the Shadowlands. So, if Nathanos wants to do that, I’d follow him.

I’m necroing this thread because we STILL need to talk about how we talk about stories - and as demonstration of that, I’m going to share a video about the recent Sylvanas cinematic.

Here - Bellular is making what I regard as an obvious point. General audiences are who matter, and general audiences are not pleased. They are so unpleased that PC Gamer is writing articles that Blizzard’s massive marketing budget will have to deal with in the future - as this negative press creates a negative view that may suppress purchases, ergo the cost of conversion in a Games-as-a-service-model increases.

Put in English? Bad stories hurt Blizzard financially - and it IS a bad story, it’s bad enough that it’s hit the gaming press whose headlines players and investors will read, and make decisions from.

I’m sharing this today, here, to underline a point that I’ve made before but that I think this forum needs to pay more attention to: the story is an extension of Blizzard’s marketing. It is the sticky factor that differentiates the game itself from its mere gameplay. It builds brand equity that can cause people to stick with an inferior product - or, it can just as easily drive them off from a good product. Further, in evaluating it, we need to consider the average customer, and the elements that they are aware of.

That’s all - this didn’t call for its own topic - just an update to an old one.

1 Like

I don’t know about that. Just because some Youtube Streamer feels like making a video doesn’t mean his opinion is gospel.

Deathisfinal - a frequent poster here - has a whole thread about how pleased they are. There are many other people who are pleased. They just aren’t being sent into outbursts and spasms like the people who hate Sylvanas.

A magazine is making articles? Quick, tell the papers this beaking news

Again, that is subjective. Some people think the story is fine - or at least normal for the setting.

I don’t know how influential any of that is. I certainly don’t care what they say. I can form my own opinion.

I think this is somewhat blasĂ© and it’s ignoring the problem. If something ends up in a well-read magazine, that tends to be indicative of something newsworthy, and the reason I shared Bellular’s content isn’t simply because he’s saying it, but because he’s very effective at articulating just what the issue is - which is that things like that have an impact on how much it costs for Blizzard to attract and retain customers.

You’re wrong.

it’s a story, not an encyclopedia. The whole point of a story is to elicit a feeling in the person consuming the story. A feeling is the entire point.

And a problem WoW has is that the writers are so caught up on perpetuating “TEH LORE,” centering the favorite characters of the devs and novel authors, that they seem to have no idea what feelings they’re trying to create with their stories.

1 Like

This is part of the issue with the entire faction conflict tbh, you can’t help one side without pissing off the other, so blizzard does nothing but piss off both.

1 Like

I’m pretty much on board with most of this. I do disagree on how story sells the game. The books and the lore actually use the game’s appeal to sell them, not the other way around. When Orcs Vs. Humans first came out, there was no published story them. Roleplaying itself at the time was not that far from. “The Door opens up into a 10 x 10 foot room. You see an orc guarding a chest.” model of encounters.

The very expensive flop of the movie however shows the limits to such an approach, at least to American audiences, it seems to have done better on foreign shores.

I think you are right.
Like the whole Stormheim incident, it was vengeance for Cataclysm Gilneas but some players consider it an outrage that has to be avenged. Some extra edgy players say Teldrassil was the response for Genn’s retaliation or add this event yet another whitewashing of alliance crimes (which I largely disagree with).
The guy is literally shouting that he is doing this to avenge his son and varian but
 :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

And I’d have to disagree with this.

The days of Pong are long gone, and even back then, just about every game had some modicum of a “story” to sell the game and differentiate it from its competitors. What differentiates Mario from most other platformers? It sure isn’t gameplay - it’s the characters, what they represent, and their overall brand.

In Warcraft’s case, the story came with the game - simple in the beginning, and then it expanded. But, the single player campaign, the designs of the units, buildings, the kingdoms involved? All of that shipped with the game, and all of that mattered towards actually selling the product - and it’s really no different with just about every other game you can think of.

That is not the same as narrative of course. But I disagree with the myopic focus on the pure facts of the text that this forum likes for some reason anyhow. Narrative is only one piece of the puzzle.