We need to talk about how we talk about stories

Dave Kosak is the guy who wrote in quests where we take down Horde zeppelins by firing ourselves out of cannons. Redridge is a giant Rambo reference where we drive a tank with a chain-gunner on top of it mowing down Orcs by the hundreds.

Dave Kosak was not known for his cerebral use of metaphor.

2 Likes

Their whole conversation was them talking about avoiding a war of annihilation, but whatever. OK, fine, you want to call war pre-emptive war Eeeevil? Go ahead, but don’t try and compare it to ethnosupremacist trash.

1 Like

The Horde’s rationale for starting a war being an Orwellian “War is Peace” analogue is probably bad enough.

1 Like

Preemptive Wars are stupid just an FYI

We don’t want a war and are worried about you declaring war on us, so we’re just gonna declare war on you is not what you say if you don’t want a war.

4 Likes

That
 would be a fair statement if the entire world had a kindergarten mentality.

Well, she used to, before they started retconning her into “Always the eviluzt.”

You might as well save your energy, because you won’t convince Droite of that, unfortunately. Many of us have tried.

2 Likes

Generally The Idea of a preemptive war is you strike first to force them to surrender early.

It doesn’t work because human Psychology doesn’t work that way. If you commit an atrocity against people who aren’t afraid of you already, your more likely to aggrevate them into retailiating them cowing them into submission. Once you attack them it will effectively be a huge battle that you may have an early advantage in, but if your offensive ever peters out you will be left in a disadvantages position, especially if they were already preparing for you to attack them and set up their defenses.

A war to avoid a lengthy conflict between two global super powers can not work, simply because of the size of the super powers. I guess it could be considered “Childlike” if you just want a war of annihilation where one will live and the other be destroyed, but I don’t think most of the Horde leaders signed off on that.

1 Like

Caring about ensuring that your tools are well maintained and used efficiently doesn’t change that you consider them tools.

whether “Pre-emptive wars are stupid” or not wasn’t really what I was concerned about, but that’s also a huge blanket statement that I didn’t think it was worth addressing.
Pre-emptive wars are only stupid if they’re waged stupidly. We’ll never know if their plan would have worked because they immediately deviated from the plan.

We know that their plan wouldn’t have worked because it required the Alliance to fall into an argument amongst themselves as to how to respond to an attack on Darnassus and we know from Elegy that nobody in the Alliance was taking the bait.

3 Likes

Have people read Edge of Night?

She also uses the phrase to describe some Elven Rangers they are leaving to die as the Scourge tears through Quel’Thalas.

Not out of cruelty. They’re to hold the line to the last man so the Sunwell’s defenses can be sured up. It’s not nice but soldiers holding the line at all costs is a thing that happens in wars.

But the point is she’s literally using it to describe them as expendable. I’m baffled how people think there’s a deeper meaning to her using it to describe the Forsaken.

"“There are so many!” he barked, falling silent as she raised a finger. “We have only two dozen rangers up there,” he said, his voice now a whisper. “They cannot survive that!” Sylvanas didn’t turn her gaze away from the dark mass of shambling corpses crushing its way closer to the river ford. It was the height of the Third War, and hours away from Silvermoon’s fall at the hands of Arthas’s army.

"They merely need to delay them as we fortify the Sunwell’s defense," she answered, her tone measured.

“They will die!”

“They are arrows in the quiver," Sylvanas said. "They must be spent if we are to win this”

6 Likes

I am at a loss for how you can consider this a foundation for any sort of discussion.

You’re arguing that facts < feelings. You’re not arguing it in a tongue-in-cheek manner, or accidentally making a claim that would require that to be true, but you’re actually stating that.

Whatever your feelings are that are caused by the story, mine are now the opposite. I’m entitled to my feelings. You can have yours. And since facts matter less, it doesn’t really matter what is going on.

I feel like Teldrassil was a stunning victory for the Night Elves and a humiliating loss for the Horde. I feel like Tyrande is far more heinous than Sylvanas and has done far more terrible things than Sylvanas has done.

Facts? Metrics? No. Feelings.

Super productive.

Feels before reals used to be a commentary about the intellectual failings of a segment of society. Embracing that is not a good choice.

2 Likes

In the context of understanding how stories work, yes. Canon is one element of what makes up a story. The techniques that the story uses to instill a certain emotional reaction from the audience are far more important than the base facts of the text.

For someone who says Feelings are important, you sure don’t ever use actual Pathos in your writing :confused:

Or take criticism about your constant linking of other documents being a bad debate technique

3 Likes

And using metaphors doesn’t make you a sociopath. But I don’t have the energy for the usual spiral that this line of argument turns into, so I’ll leave it at that.

We had this discussion previously.

When you say something, people demand proof for it, or they demand elaboration, and they will make those demands constantly rather than letting you move on with your argument. It is better to refer back to an established point than it is to constantly rehash an old one.

I’m guessing you came here from part 2 to that thread, so let’s consider that. The original post here is 895 words. The other one is 2051 - and even that is something that only summarizes the work that I put into the linked documents. This topic is big, and sometimes big topics have to be broken up.

This reminded me of the Shadowlands cinematic, where she actually does exactly that. Her quiver is empty, so she grabs a previously used arrow from a corpse.

I wonder if it was just a cool moment to add, or if it had a deeper meaning, since she is famous for using that phrase.

1 Like

At this point I feel we’re going full 7th grade English teacher, “The blue curtains symbolize the protagonists depression”, on WoW lore at this point.

And I get that’s half the fun of fan speculation. But after I spent half of BFA just sort of assuming Nathanos would betray Sylvanas - because why depict him as showing doubt in her like four times if not to do that- I’ve decided WoW should be taken at face value.

5 Likes

Well, he may still have an opportunity to betray her. But we have to remember that Nathanos is insane enough to not care whether or not he goes to eternal torment.
The doubt/confusion of someone so insanely devoted to Sylvanas should get even the her most devoted cultis
 er, fans, to at least scratch their heads.

With regard to all this “arrows in the quiver” stuff, of course it’s supposed to come off as harsh, but sometimes reality is. Sylvanas herself was expendable when it came to her mission, because it was that important. Of course she isn’t going to go around like “hey, you’re expendable!” And just because someone is expendable doesn’t make it meaningless when they are spent. Or like when Nathanos saw his cousins armor and ashes, he didn’t feel shame, but he did regret that things turned out the way they did, and it wasn’t meaningless to him.

I was pointing out that she has gone back for arrows and reused them. She did it in the cinematic. I said it in response to:

Regardless of what she says, when no one else was at Icecrown looking, other than her enemies, she did use arrows after their first use.