We need a stress test with layering off

(Daimonas) #1

Well, if this is how “no sharding and no phasing” works, what is the guarantee that “no layering” will work not the same way?

Essentially, the sharding and phasing engine is still up and running in Classic, it is just that the zones in particular have been merged, so they are all on one shard. But, as you can see, it is not explicitly set to “merge everything” - but, instead, they set it to “merge Elwynn, Westfall, Redridge, Searing Gorge, Burning Steppes, etc” - and forgot about one zone, that wasn’t so obvious.

Which means, that the sharding engine is up and running, and even if everything seems turned off, it may suddenly fire up during the AQ event, because of server load.

If it isn’t really possible to explicitly set “sharding off” on a server, then we need to be sure that nothing unexpected happens in the moment of truth.

It would be nice to get at least some small info on how they are testing this stuff in the beta client. People are getting pushed around to different phases, seemingly at random (I know I have). Is that deliberate for testing? Are they still cleaning up how layering will work, and perhaps only gradually phasing out the sharding data from the client?

(Daimonas) #3

I don’t know, but I don’t like it. Don’t they have the technology to just hard turn-off sharding and cross-relam? I’m also talking about cross-realm whispers, that suspiciously work on classic beta even better than on retail, and about the “XXX-ClassicBetaPvP has joined the guild”