We Demand Pre Nerf C'thun

Bring it Blizzard.

Show us you got some gumption.

22 Likes

I too would love to see if 15 years of theorycrafting could make it happen. But i dont think it will happen for 1 reason

Ion Hazzikostas

He was the man who showed Blizzard that it was mathematically impossible at the time. Now he is the game director for WoW. It would be showing him up if it turned out that it wasnt mathematically impossible, but players just werent as good. So i dont see this happening

4 Likes

No we don’t.

About half of raiding guilds are going to fall apart because of AQ40. Yes lots of guilds will clear it easily, but many guilds will hit a road block on c’thun, or twin emps.

What people like you forget is there are actually pretty bad raiding guilds out there. Guilds fell apart during BWL because they couldn’t clear firemaw. Some guilds took 3 months to kill Neferian.

Pre Nerf C’thun would just make it so less than 1% of raid guilds ever cleared the content. If you think you’re one of those guilds you’re sorely mistaken.

3 Likes

Nah, why release a boss with bugs?

3 Likes

people claim that they are better players than original vanilla players but i keep seeing pugs who cant 1 shot onyxia

you think you do want pre nerf cthun but you dont

4 Likes

i can see the argument for a buffed up cthun (and the whole raid itself), but i dont agree with bringing back a bugged boss

That is a ridiculous statement.

Who tf are WE? xD

3 Likes

him and 2 other people he sometimes talks to in game

5 Likes

People asking for PrE nErF c’ThUn don’t know what they are asking for, and I bet the OP doesn’t even know what aspects of C’thun were “nerfed”.

Pre nerf C’Thun was not hard just because the numbers were overtuned (this would be easy to overcome today). It was hard because certain mechanics had RNG associated with them that would cause a wipe no matter how much DPS your raid could do. An example is that it used to be completely 100% random who got devoured into the stomach, and it was possible to get 3 tanks swallowed at the same time. That was an instant wipe. Same if 3 healers got devoured. Significant chance to wipe. There were other bugs with aggro on people in the stomach causing mobs to evade and reset and such as well, but the point here is that anyone asking for pre-nerf C’Thun needs to do their homework first and realize why it was nerfed. It had very little to do with the numbers.

I think what people are really asking for when they say pre-nerf C’thun is that they want Giant Tentacles to continue spawning during vuln phase.

4 Likes

I would say have it for a month then bring in the nerfed one. I only think top guilds will be able to do him.

The bugs were fixed in a week. The pre-nerf as stated by blizzard that ppl believed it was impossible. Believing something doesn’t means it’s true.

There are no documented bug fixes on any patch Wiki until patch 1.10 which released March 28th. For reference, C’thun was released January 23rd.

Patch 1.10, March 28:

• Removed the stacking acid from the Flesh Tentacles in the C’thun encounter.
  • Digestive Acid now increases its effect over time during the C’thun encounter.
  • Fixed a bug that could allow for the Digestive Acid debuff to be removed.
  • Lowered the amount of knockback dealt by Giant Tentacles.
  • Tentacles should no longer spawn on players who have just been knocked back by a previous tentacle.

In fact, even the changes that were made on April 25th that finally led to the first kills weren’t documented.

Prenerf Cthun isn’t even that challenging on paper when you consider the pserver meta.

The most challenging aspect of prenerf Cthun was the capability of tentacles being able to spawn in walls and out of bound areas where you couldn’t reach them. Otherwise outside of that Ion’s math appears to be severely lacking.

You have to remember that Ion made his popularized theory in a 1.9 world, but even so, the pserver meta is all about wbuffs and buff caps which absolutely wasn’t exercised commonly 15 years ago during this time frame.

Not to mention tentacles/eyes may be stunnable via Iron Grenade like they were on pserver. If that is truly Blizzlike then oh boy would prenerf Cthun be incredibly easy. Something the pserver meta also does is class stack so its likely even the “overtuned” Cthun would still be a joke.

2 Likes

You should delete this post and re-post with the word “we” replaced with the word “I”.

2 Likes

What if you don’t think you would clear it, but want pre nerf anyway, because it seems cool? You don’t have to beat every thing in a game to enjoy it lol.

Some of the data you seek is located in archives.

The case he made for it being mathematically impossible is really strong. You were guaranteed to lose a few players to glitches and the dps checks are actually super tight.

With Naxx gear, however, even pre-nerf will be easy to clear. Naxx gear is broken.

Im not ever arguing that his argument doesnt hold up still. I would just love for some of these top tier guilds to have a shot. See if it still holds up. Would be a fun watch

1 Like

Ahhh again with the mythical 1% meme. Theres atleast 4 guilds on my server capable of clearing pre-nerf thun and we’re a medium pop pve server.

You need to go and watch some of the pre-nerf attempts. It’s bad and by bad I mean really really really bad. One example I saw was a dps warrior in full T2 with UTB attacking a tentacle.
The tentacle had serpent sting, rend and zero sunders on it. If that is the metric for Ion’s math it’s going to be a joke for any guild worth the title of server first.

People really do not understand just how comical any DPS check is. I can comfortably sit on 500 dps swinging nightfall as an enhance shaman still in a majority of my pre-raid BiS. Geared dps are pulling double that or in essence quaddruple the dps required to beat Patchwerk pre hard enrage.

1 Like