WC3 reforged datamining (post updated with models)

I get it, but they’re just radically different models. The wings were much larger and were literally attached to the forearms. It’s a very different look.

I hope they include the lines that acknowledge that Illidan did die after his duel. So many people thought Illidan died and that he coming back was a retcon in TBC.

1 Like

I’m confused by this post. Is blizzard changing the lore from this game? I thought this was just the same game but with an updated engine and graphics

It was stated a long while ago that there’ll be changes to bring things more in line with current canon.

2 Likes

Yeah, they are changing some things, and I hope its subtle or aesthetic changes. Please, lets not have Tyrande or Cenarius mention Broxigar.

This always bothered me about Blizzard… Rather than changing old lore to fit current lore, they should change current lore to fit with old lore. People liked the lore from the RTS… roll with that Blizzard. The lore was better then.

6 Likes

To my knowledge, the lore changes they mean are only going to be map changes so that iconic cities and areas are more in line with WoW areas. So Stratholme, Quel’thalas, maybe Dalaran… Stuff like that.

3 Likes

Since we’ve datamined character models of people who didn’t appear in WCIII, some characters are likely going to be added to the story too.

Such as King Anesterian Sunstrider.

They’re also changing model designs to be more inline with WoW versions, such as Thrall is now riding a white wolf instead of a black one.

5 Likes

The entire fall of Quel’thalas is being redone to match the version depicted in the belf heritage armor quest.

3 Likes

Again… Blizzard needs to make new lore fit with old lore, not the other way around.

The original fall of Quel’thalas campaign is the best in the entire game. Changing it would be very stupid.

6 Likes

If this was done, you’d get a lot of babies tossed out with the bathwater.

• The Draenei would have no relation to the Eredar, which removes some interesting relationships between Kil’jaeden and Velen, if not erasing Velen entirely.

• Suramar would be entirely underwater, and the Broken Isles area in the Legion expansion would be considerably smaller and feel much less like a expansion area.

• The religion of the Light would’ve not been a thing. It would’ve remained a generic Christianity stand-in. (Sorta like what happened in Diablo’s lore, and while I think it took some of Diablo’s edge out, in Warcraft I feel leaving the old stuff would’ve just been lazy.)

Even by the time of Warcraft 3, retcons have been a pretty major process of Warcraft’s worldbuilding and history, tossing out old concepts for new ones. Not to contest that Blizzard probably does retcons more frequently and blatantly than most other people, or even that their retcons always serve a better purpose than the original story. Just that retcons shouldn’t be automatically discarded as a tool.

The lore you’d get going by your standards is not Warcraft 3’s lore, but Warcraft 1’s.

11 Likes

Yeah, they would have to develop new lore for the Draenei, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Hell, Velen and the Draenei as we know them could still exist, just called something else. I don’t see how this is an issue at all.

Gul’dan and Illidan raised it from the ocean depths once, not sure why they couldn’t do so again. Why does it have to be an expansion area? It could have just been one of many zones in an expansion. Again, not sure why this is an issue… Unless your entire point is “If they didn’t retcon, we wouldn’t have what we have.” Which it kind of a non-argument, because we could have very realistically had something better than what we have…

It still is a generic Christianity stand-in lol. The Light is hella boring and could have been something better.

So?

1 Like

Wouldn’t be necessarily bad, but personally I like how the Draenei are put together right now (being able to see their actual architecture in Warlords and then Legion was a treat for me). It’s quite unlike any other fantasy race I’m familiar with, especially in Warcraft. I am uncertain that we’d get something as neat if we discarded them on a mulligan.

Or very realistically we could have had something much much worse. The Broken Isles actually makes for a natural location for Legion’s expansion given its obvious link to Sargeras (Tomb of Sargeras), and cleverly uses old lore in order to expand on a established location rather than inventing a new one out of nothing. Barring Zandalar and Kul’tiras (both of which I think would fit ill in Legion), what are some viable candidates to go along with the Broken Isles as scattered Cata-style zones?

Hmmmmmmm, it’s Christianity-like, not carbon copied Christianity. I still think that developing their own identity for Warcraft’s holy religion standin, including making it span races like humans and Draenei, and having Naaru be the most iconic representatives of it, gives it more flavor.

Are you saying that you prefer Warcraft 1’s lore to Warcraft 3’s?

3 Likes

New models, this time the buildings of the Alliance and the Horde, plus some campaign-only buildings of nagas, high elves and some other things. Including the Dark Portal.

2 Likes

Data!

-om noms all the new data-

Edit: In all seriousness, neat stuff. I kinda have to appreciate the fact that the elven barracks and the waygate no longer look like different versions of the same building.

Edit 2: Thought that waygate was familiar.
https://onceuponawarcraft.tumblr.com/image/129142663858

I’m starting to wonder how much they’re expanding the Gul’dan cutscene from Maiev’s trip to the Tomb of Sargeras. Gul’dan has his own model, there are multiple Stormreaver orc models, multiple generic orc warlock models(and not chaos orcs, which are separate), what looks like a WC2 Temple of the Damned, etc.

1 Like

Stormreaver spellcasters appear as three different neutral creeps in skirmish and campaign. Green orc Warlocks replace Shamans for the enemy Blackrock Clan in a late undead mission. Drak’thul will probably get his own model.

So that’s one left that I can’t think of where it’d appear based on the original game. Maybe the leader of the warlock coven in the first Rexxar mission, but that’s a stretch I think.

And if you’re talking about the giant floating skull shrine building, that’s the Skull of Gul’dan which for some reason is represented in the game by a giant floating skull shrine building.

And while we’re on the subject of warlocks, I hope they change the flashbacks in the Tomb to have the Stormreaver minions be one of these many warlock models instead of shaman models.

2 Likes

Look, sometimes your skull is so evil that it spontaneously becomes a giant floating skull building when you’re dead.
It’s just a thing that happens.

9 Likes

I really like how they have kept the original look of the buildings but have added a few subtle but welcome changes.

The Arcane Sanctum, Gryphon Aviary and Dragon roost would have to be my absolute favourite redone structures so far.

2 Likes

Aw man, that’s the kind of thing I love to see. The RTS and the MMO are going to mutually benefit from this update! Both will feel more lived-in. Exciting!

YeeeeeeeeEEEEEEESSSSSSS! This is exactly what I mean! Aaah this remake is so much cooler than I ever expected!

So. Much. Continuity!!

2 Likes

Thinking I may end up pre-ordering this after all.