I’ve made this thread here in attempt to consolidate feedback about the various issues pertaining to PvP gearing:
- There is a clear disparity in the difficulty/level of effort required to obtain “high” item level PvP gear vs the equivalent in PvE. Essentially, you can “outgear” a 10 to the point where the 400/410+ drop point becomes “easy”. That never really happens in a competitive environment against other players.
- Now that stats matter in PvP, randomness of gear drops makes obtaining gear with desirable stats a statistical crapshoot.
- The systems in place designed to offset some of this randomness are unclear and inadequate.
The most commonly proposed solution from the PvP community is to add back vendors, akin to what we had in WoD and earlier. However, blizzard’s stance on this (ignoring the first statment made by Ion about picking the wrong gear and having to know where the vendor is located) is that having a vendor as primary means to get your gear from pvp is inconsistent with the way gear drops in the rest of the game, and having gear with pvp power/resillience creates too much of a barrier to entry because of “having to have two sets of gear”. While I don’t necessarily agree with the logic, I think the system that they have in place could work better and make players happier with some tweaks and compromises.
- Adjust the rewards tiering to more closely resemble similar difficulty M+ rewards. Right now, the item level of dungeon drops and weekly dungeon chests stops at m+10. However, as you progress past m+10 keys (or 2-3 chest a 10), MORE items drop from the dungeon. Right now, 2100/duelist is set as “equivalent” to m+10 in terms of random and weekly drops. The difficulty/accessibility difference between a m+10 and getting 2100 in any bracket is staggering. IMO, 1800 is a more reasonable comparison to a m+10 in terms of difficulty and accessibility. Why not make 1800 the point where 400 gear drops from matches and 410 drops from weekly pvp chest, and then simply increase the drop rate as you increase in rating past 1800? This more closely resembles the way m+ works.
- Further improve the “quartermaster’s coin” and conquest cap reward system. Right now, these two systems have very little useful purpose, because the item level that they reward is not relative to your item level (conquest reward), and inadequate/difficult to obtain (quartermaster’s coins). What the intended purpose seems to be is for you to fill in the gaps from what hasn’t dropped in your weekly box or from a random arena via conquest reward, and then using your coins to upgrade it to somewhere close to your item level. The pain points here are that you do not get enough coins to actually utilize this system, and then once you do obtain enough coins to upgrade something, it is still a lower than desired item level. Why not make PvP gear drop (or have a chance to drop) a coin when scrapped, and then increase the item level that the sigil/trophy upgrades your gear to the ilevel tier of your bracket?
In this system, players would be able to scrap unwanted pieces, and then have better access to worthwhile sigil/trophies that upgrade gear to a more competitive ilevel that they’ve earned on the bracket. It’s not the “vendor” solution that the PvP community wants, but it does make the system we have now “better enough” where I think people would be happier with it. Ilevel 400+ pve gear is basically raining from the sky at this point, so I feel like this is not an altogether unreasonable idea.