Water Ele vs lone wolf

Can we just change water ele to work like hunters lone wolf? If he’s out you get freeze if he’s away you do more damage…just seems like a quality of life improvement

3 Likes

Long ago, the WE had the advantage of shifting a decent fraction of your threat away from you, but with threat no longer being nearly as relevant, it’s lost a lot of appeal. It’s more like a mascot at this point.

2 Likes

I still miss when Water Elemental was a damage cooldown.

8 Likes

I think what he meant is to not have the talent remove the ability to summon the elemental, but giving the damage bonus when it isn’t around, which is valid.

6 Likes

Basically a hunter has a passive bonus, rather than have a split node. If the pet is out you get the pet AI however if you dismiss it you get the damage bonus.

1 Like

I really just wish the little guy could be talented to be more powerful. Perhaps a choice node dependent on the WE being selected that either doubles waterbolt damage or gives it splash damage (har har). I wouldn’t even really mind if it took two points to make it equal to LW (1 point = Freeze but lower damage, 2 points = Freeze and roughly equal damage), as long as it were possible.

I’m frightened by what they would come up with. 15% increased damage for three talent points investment? :confused:

Lonely Winter should just be removed.

The fact that Water Elemental is on a choice node at all means it’s optional. Lonely Winter is just kicking people who actually want to use it.

That choice node should be Summon Water Elemental or another spell that is something to the effect of Summon Greater Water Elemental where it’s the WotLK version that is a CD, not a permanent pet.

7 Likes

I mean that could sum up so many Frost (and general) talents. Do you want to play what’s fun, or do you want to play the same generic talents that give a 15-20% dps increase? Do you want to take the talent that gives your party/raid increased utility that no one will notice until you mess it up, or do you want to do 10% more damage? Do you want to feel like a boss, or do you want to maintain a buff that allows you to do normal damage?

1 Like

I do too! We shouldn’t have “Lonely Winter”. It effectively deletes a spell from our arsenal.

We should just get the spell “Water Elemental” as a baseline ability, and then there should be a talent node that makes the Water Elemental permanent. There used to be a glyph back in the day that kept the pet permanent.

The idea here is that you’re giving up a point to keep the Water Elemental as a permanent pet, so you’re technically losing something (the talent point), but if you decide not to select this talent node, you still have access to the pet albeit as a short cooldown. It just feels better to me.

1 Like

WE also used to line perfectly with Icy Veins, so maybe it could just spawn during Icy Veins normally, and essentially all talents that buff Icy Veins would also buff WE.

2 Likes

I hated when they made mage a pet spec. I agree it was better when it was a CD and its damage actually had impact.

Agreed. I’ve never been and never was a fan of Drippy as a constant pet. I’ve been more than happy without it. A CD would be fine - but a constant annoyance - no thanks. If I want that, I’ll play my lock.

Back in the day it had really slow water attacks. So slow that you would stop pet attack then cast poly and sometimes you would see a delayed water ele blast slowly come towards the sheep breaking it.

I do not miss that

1 Like