Watching the dev classic trailer

I’m a casual player who thinks you are grossly overstating the supposed difficulty of how the game used to be.

20 Likes

You’re absolutely right!

Vanilla raiding wasn’t really that bad. There weren’t really any mechanics. The challenges were really in getting the raid together rather than difficulty in the actual game mechanics.

Lol you are very right. I’m not sure where the shift happened but since when is the average difficulty of a video game in the 90s hard haha.

1 Like

There would be sense of regret in any old guy voice.

1 Like

Jeff is OW director, you know. OWL, e-sport and all that staff.

1 Like

Could’ve just posted all that here:

For the record though, I do agree with you. They definitely sounded quite nostalgic in regards to borderline acknowledging WoW has lost it’s “magic.”

4 Likes

Weird that so many “Advanced DPS Guides” for Classic feature 1-2 button rotations.

Weird that so many Classic promoters seem to be such jerks on the forums when interacting with other players.

Classic WoW was designed for the casual player. That was a cornerstone to its success.

12 Likes

Oh darling, gamers are gamers there are no casuals…that term was invented by a lazy dev team who couldn’t balance a complex game so they invented casuals to shift the blame to them and then started to take away everything so they could balance a simplified game and when people complain they turned gamers against each other.

6 Likes

I feel pretty confident the whole “casual” and “hardcore” terminology were 100% made up by the community, and it predates WoW.

Its weird you think retail WoW is more simplified than Classic.

3 Likes

oh lol that makes sense.

Jeff has fallen. He was suppose to be the chosen one, but he ended up joining them.

Vanilla WoW was a passion project. They crunched hard to make a game that they themselves wanted to go home and play. Modern retail WoW has become a means to make quarter over quarter earnings. The team that develops it is certainly trying to make the best game they can, but corporate has given them a mandate to work within and the priority is metrics they can pitch to shareholders and not “what game would you like to play.” Again, the development staff is in an impossible situation of wanting to make the best game, but the mandate is to make the game that makes the most money. If making the worst game also made them the most money, corporate would force them to make the worst game. This is the difference and how it cannot be rectified as long as WoW is a prominent component of Activision earnings calls with investors.

5 Likes

Darling, blizzard has been dumbing the game down for years…simple rotations, removal of talents, resist gear, keys, rep grinds for raids and so on.

As for the term casual its been around before computers however blizzard is the one who decide to use it to divide the gamers and get us to bicker with each other instead of with them. See they went from gamers making games to money grubs doing whatever to make money.

1 Like

Each class still had 30-40 abilities, and each ability had its situational use. Mages with decurse for example or dampen/amplify magic for example.

I think it succeeded because it was the perfect balance between casual and hardcore. You can’t have a successful game if only the casuals or the hardcore are happy with the game’s mechanics. You need to both to want to play your game.

If WoW was already super casual, why did it need to become significantly moreso?

They changed the game in hopes of appealing to a wider audience (casual players) and making money.

Have you been looking at the “advanced dps guides” for classic?

For elemental shaman its “don’t totem twist, ONLY cast lightning bolt. if the target is going to die before your next LB, that is the only time you can earth shock”.

The BFA Elemental shaman rotation is exponentially more complicated than Classic.

I still have about 30+ abilities. I think I have about 25ish keybinds I regularly use.

1 Like

No you don’t.

I am certain I do (if not 30+ incredibly close). I definitely have about 25ish keybinds, and I dont have every ability keybound.

1 Like

Count the abilities right now. I am certain you don’t.

Darling, there is nothing hard in this game. Don’t even try and defend it.

Spoken like someone that avoids all challenging content.

A = Flame Shock
S = Lava Burst
D = Earth Quake
F = Lighting Bolt
G = Frost Shock

W = Earth Shock
Z = Chain Lighting
C = Wind Shear
R = Totem Mastery
1 = Healing Surge

2 = Fire Elemental
ALT A = Astral Shift
ALT S = Thunderstorm
ALT D = Tremor Totem
ALT F = Lighting Lasso

V = Ice Fury
ALT X = Hex
ALT C = Purge
SFT C = Cleanse Spirit
ALT G = Earthbind Totem

ALT 4 = Skyfury Totem
ALT 5 = Grounding Totem
X = Storm Keeper
ALT W = Ghost Wolf
4 = Blood Lust

NoBind = WaterWalking
3 = Earth Elemental
ALT 3 = Earth Ele Defensive (when using PE Talent)
NoBind = Rez

5 Likes