Was using Dalaran as a neutral hub a good idea?

I’m not even a little ashamed that it worked on me. There’s just nowhere better to run around in circles aimlessly while chatting with your friends in disc.

I wouldn’t be surprised. The things blizz does is what it is.

1 Like

Dalaran as a neutral hub was great in Lich King. Post purge of Dalaran not so much. I would have preferred if during Legion, Dalaran was the Alliance hub and the Horde got their own floating city hub. Either give the Horde, their own flying necropolis, or float up a chunk of Silvermoon.

2 Likes

Oh, yeah, and let’s not forget that little pissant Aethas crawling back to the Kirin Tor with the Mage PC in tow and Fel’melorn.

Fel’melorn, only one of the most sacred artifacts to the Elves of Quel’thalas. The several foul names that would get censored used it so he could get back in with the KT.

8 Likes

TBC Shattrath was the better of the two neutral cities, imo. Would like to go back and see it again as a populated city once more.

2 Likes

:face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

Aethas is so awful even Jim Pirri’s voice can’t make me like him… and that’s saying something.

In Wrath, yes. Belfs and Forsaken have made connections to Dalaran due to old relations. In Legion I think Horde mages should have made their own floating city.

1 Like

Khadgar is the reason. Why, because Dalaran became Khadgar’s city and he was leading the fight against the Legion. Why was he in charge, because he formed some destined rivalry with AU Gul’dan. Why was he on AU Draenor, because he was summoned for his ‘wisdom and experience’ to deal with the Iron Horde.

Khadgar was shoehorned into the plot because he closed the Dark Portal once before against one horde and the developers figured he’d be perfect to fight Garrosh’s army that would turn into a Legion threat at some point.

1 Like

I mean, I don’t dislike Dadghar… too bad they didn’t make a horde version of Dadghar. I guess Thrall would fit that bill.

Didn’t have to be horde mages to make a floating city. The horde is super shamanistic definitely could have created a floating elemental city.

1 Like

Just take Warsong Hold and strap some big ol’ goblin balloons to it and voila! We have a floating fortress.

1 Like

That is EXACTLY how it played out though.

Genn tried to take vengeance in Stormhiem, then tried again later in the story line. Then Sylvanas was able to use THAT as a catalyst to attack Teldrassil. Even Saurfang was thinking Anduin did little to nothing to Genn for the unprovoked attack.

But lets be honest here. Since the events in Cata, Genn was looking for ANY reason to attack Sylvanas and the Forsaken. They could have all been around a war table singing kumbaya and holding hands. Genn would stub his toe on Sylvanas’ table and scream at her about how she intentionally tried to attack him with the table, and it would have started all over again.

1 Like

Still a better expansion beginning than the War of Thorns.

2 Likes

No, I dont particularly like Dalaran as a hub mostly because it erased the gains the Alliance had in MoP. Although, I can understand why Blizzard did it. Dalaran was the perfect place to store the pillars of creation and it tied fairly well with many of the dramatic moments of Legion.

1 Like

Wasnt most of the story in legion anout screw faction it is class pride because both factions are to stupid to work together for more thsn 5 minutes. It kind of makes sence to not divide by faction then .

2 Likes

Technically true though the problem in that for alot of people it simply doesn’t feel like it.

For some it’s the game play and story segregation at play since they saw everyone in Dalaran, the elven union in Suramar, all sides together in the Vindicaar, and the Class Orders are filled with members of both factions. These players saw the unity and the fact the Horde and Alliance took a backseat could have made the flames of anger between the two fade to the background.

For others the length of the path/expansion cycle created this disconnect with the events in question. Thus they look at from the real time perspective and not the game play.

Then who have those like me where Sylvanas not mentioning Stormhiem to Saurfang during her speech of old hatred was jarring and odd. The fact that Genn prioritized going after the Warchief of the Horde in the midst of the planet being invaded by the Burning Legion by all rights should have mentioned by Sylvanas because it was rather recent and would have served her point that not peace wouldn’t last between the factions. That nothing would stop Genn Greymane pushing the Alliance to war against the Horde. And yet she doesn’t mention it at all and it’s just regulated to Saurfang’s thought process as he comes to agree with her.

That oddness created a disconnect, which wasn’t helped by hypocrisy in Sylvanas’s speech. She talks about how people can’t change and old hatreds won’t fade and yet the Former Ranger of Quel’thalas has no problem with talking with someone of the Old Horde who invaded Quel’thalas during the Second War. She hated trolls and yet genuinely respected Vol’jin to the point of even mourning his death in her own manner.

Then there’s her belief that killing Malfurion will break the night elves spirit. It’s a good plan in theory but the night elves have lived through losing one their beloved icons before when Grom killed Cenarius. The Night elves weren’t broken by his death, they got pissed and struck back when they could.

Thus the disconnected widened because the history buff suddenly didn’t study the Horde’s prior history of war with the night elves. Thus with the gape widened the feeling of the Horde going to war against the Alliance before the other side could strike first was lost and just replaced by us going to war because that what Sylvanas wanted.

7 Likes

Like just one in-game scene where Sylvanas gets to state her case about why she feels the Alliance is an existential threat could have done so much. Your villain can be as wrong as they want, but when you allow them a chance to calmly and rationally explain their motivations and plans, it goes a long way in making them seem less bat guano crazy.

3 Likes

Because the Kirin Tor aren’t stupid and both occasions were instances of “let the Horde help or everybody dies”.

This is absolutely false, and played propaganda

1 Like

Using Dalaran served it’s purpose in WotLK and Legion.

When they break the faction barrier to the point of meaninglessness, they should build a new city somewhere to act as the new main hub going forward.

2 Likes

This is why I liked Genn before his 180 (well, 180 might be generous… we’ll go with 90) degree turn in Before the Storm.

Before, he was an Alliance leader who would stop at nothin’ to get his revenge against Sylvanas and the Horde. His vendetta nearly cost us a Pillar of Creation. I liked that. It gave the Alliance character and depth, some actual grayness to stain that pure white morality.

But now Blizzard is takin’ the lazy way: breakin’ down those shortcomings of his, smoothin’ out the rough edges, and whitewashin’ his short-temper and vindictiveness with “Everything in Warcaft is Sylvanas’ fault”.

3 Likes