Was this truly the best solution?

I’m taking it that you’re referring to EMFH. However, Blizzard did nerf a bunch of Horde racial too. Orc Hardiness doesn’t stack with Relentless anymore. Torrent got nerfed from a silence/interrupt to a dispel, then it’s CD was nerfed, then it got nerfed to not rip BoPs off of people. 90% sure WotF was nerfed at some point too.

Well for one, I’d take what Ion says with a grain of salt considering recent affairs and the current state of the game.

To my knowledge, the only really strong PvP racials horde have are Troll’s Berserking and Voodoo Shuffle, WotF, Orc’s Bloodrage and Hardiness thing, and Belf Torrent. Torrent and Hardiness got nerfed, and Berserking was changed recently so that it is less effective but lasts longer.

Eh, blood elves probably weren’t going to end up with the Alliance after the events of WC3 TFT. And while i don’t exactly like the Void Elves since they felt really shoe horned, Blizzard did give the Alliance Void Elves even though High Elves would have made more sense.

1 Like

Hordies complaining about the circumstances being reversed after Allies had been dealing with it since BfA? That’s rich. They were used to rolling through Kul Tiras essentially unimpeded and complaining there weren’t enough Allies to kill. Now they have more than enough and it’s a whine-fest.

Oh wait, Allies getting an extra 370 piece of gear each week? Well that’s just going to eliminate the Horde ilvl advantage, isn’t it? Umm, no.

I’ll give Hordies the same replies Allies got when they were complaining of the faction number and ilvl imbalance:

• “Git gud!”
  • “World PvP is meant to do with groups, so get some friends together.”
  • “Switch factions.”
  • “Don’t like War Mode? You can turn it off.” (It’s even easier than before, BTW).

Take your pick.

5 Likes

You seem to be missing the point of my post. The point is that the quest for gear doesn’t seem like an effective solution to the population imbalance in WPvP. We’re still in week one of 8.1 so participation will likely be inflated. For the quest to be a good solution we’re going to have to see an increase in the amount of Alliance players with WM on that aren’t out doing the quest because after completion of the quest, they can just turn WM off. If Alliance players just turn off the WM after finishing the quest, then all the quest will have done is just make Horde players salty a few days of the week.

Pre-8.1 I’ve been a part of and on the receiving end of Alliance and Horde gank squads. And TBH, outside of the Alliance gank squads it doesn’t feel like i see more Alliance players just running around with WM on.

I find this quote particularly funny as a WW because were it not for Blizzard’s constant interventions, WW could one shot a raid group of any size in a global if they’re stacked. It’s always disheartening to be reminded that WW as a spec could just shut down big group WPvP hard but Blizzard won’t let us. But alas, I still wait for the day when i can pop Serenity when it was still a 40% damage boost, pop 5.4’s Ring of Peace which was an AoE silence and disarm in a 10-20 yard radius around your target, Flying Serpent Kick into a gaggle of morons, and one shot them all with a Single Strike of the Windlord for double their healthpools.

Also, i find the idea of a Ret Pally telling a WW monk to “Git gud” quite humorous. Even more-so when considering that if Blizzard ever did the equivalent of what they did to WW’s kit to Ret Pallies, Blizzard would actually lose money from having to fix the damage caused by the flood of pally tears coursing through the forums.

it is they get when we outnumber them. only alts need 370 gear at this point anyway.

1 Like

I understood your post perfectly fine. The reason why I had such a snarky response was because whether you realize it or not, your original post really just stems from the same place as more transparent complaints by others.

If you really didn’t have a problem with the outcome, then you wouldn’t have been questioning the method of the outcome. You’d be happy there are more Allies to engage with in world PvP. Instead, you are questioning the method, which is just a veiled complaint about the outcome.

Thus, my comment still stands.

In regards to the RET vs. Monk thing, that’s just a deflection by you away from the issue at hand (deflection, get it? Hah!) Seriously though, you’re using the example of how Blizz had to keep nerfing WW to be balanced as an argument that it takes skill to be good at PvP with a WW? And you are focusing your argument toward RETs who overall have a poor representation in rated PvP and by far worse mobility and offensive utility that practically any melee DPS?

That argument just reminds me of Wind Blow in the movie Kung Pow, who had everything backwards: “Let’s try my nuts to your fist style,” or “I’m bleeding, making me the victor.”

3 Likes

The outcome has yet to be determined. We’re still in week one of 8.1. Which means participation numbers will be inflated. However, based on what I’ve seen so far, the quest doesn’t seem to fulfill its intended purpose.

Allow me to repeat it for the second time. For the quest to succeed, it needs the outcome of having more Alliance with just having WM turned on for it to be on rather than just having WM on to complete the quest. If it can’t do that, then quest will only have accomplished making Horde players salty a few days of the week.

Balance doesn’t really matter because no matter how “balanced” the game is, there will always be a strongest class and people will always flock to it. Case and point, when was the last time Rogues, or mages, or warriors were irrelevant in PvP?

Yes, and definitely more skill than it takes to play ret in PvP.

Lawl. If rets have poor representation in rated PvP, WW must be non-existent.

That would be frost Dks.

You have HoJ, Repentance or Blind, and wings that last 20-30 seconds. On top of that you have your defensive utilities that can be used on your team like BoP, BoF, Blessing of Sanctuary, and really strong off heals as well as bubble for yourself.

It’s called “against overwhelming odds” for a reason. It goes to the faction that is heavily out numbered. It’s a balancing mechanism.

3 Likes

But is just making more gank squads more prevalent on one faction truly a balancing mechanism? If the quest actually does get Alliance players to leave WM on when they’re not out ganking and just doing WQs then perhaps it would be balanced, but that remains to be seen.

While removing merc mode might help, I can’t say that long BG queues would incentivize Horde players to swap Alliance. In all honesty, I don’t mind the BG queues Horde gets just because i get to other stuff while i wait. However, that’s just my opinion.

A fair point, but I was more looking at this from the perspective of player enjoyment rather than faction “progression.” While more bonuses would go to “Horde” players, they would bolster the numbers of the Alliance WM population which in turn would probably result in less dissatisfied Alliance players.

That is a fair point, but I don’t think encountering an increased amount of gank squads will push Horde out of WM. For the most part, I think that it’s just Horde outnumbering Alliance on shards which causes the most of the dissatisfaction. Usually it’s just one person that starts a fight and pulls other nearby people in, and this situation applies to both the Horde and the Alliance.

There are two parts to balancing. One is getting more Alliance to keep war mode on. The other is to reduce the number of Horde with war mode on. Gank squads fulfill the second function, by getting some of the Horde who only have war mode on for the PVE benefits to turn it off. That may not be you, but those players exist.

It has worked in the past, before merc mode existed. Most people are like you and won’t switch, but it only takes a small percentage switching to improve the balance.

More specifically, you were looking at it from the perspective of Horde player enjoyment. I don’t think you really understand the Alliance perspective.

Most Alliance players hate merc mode in battlegrounds, so adding it to war mode would substantially reduce Alliance side enjoyment, even if it did improve Horde side enjoyment. As an Alliance player who has kept war mode on since it was introduced, I can assure you that we don’t want help from Horde traitors. We want more people in our Alliance community, who can guild with us, trade with us, etc.

It’s like Saurfang, who is basically mercing for the Alliance now. Most Alliance PVP players would rather see him executed than have his “help”. We want to defeat or exterminate the Horde, not find a peaceful coexistence.

2 Likes

Are people really upset that one faction is getting a weekly quest for a 370 item that may or may not continue depending on participation?

:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

I agree with this. Blizzard is slowly squeezing the life out of the Alliance.

Instead of addressing the underlying cause these bandaids actually make Alliance feel like the dodgy cousin we see every now and then. Here have some shiny rewards if you come out and play. We still get overwhelmed and that’s why you end up with Alliance trying to group up to have some sort of chance.

3 Likes

How about a fair system of equal rewards like we had before? That’s a fair system and no Horde player would vote that down. Oh right… The Alliance doesn’t play if it’s fair and just has equal rewards.

A fair system would remove merc mode so there would be some incentive to go to the minority faction, as well as removing unbalanced racials, such making Arcane Torrent be single target instead of AOE. I’ve heard lots of Horde object to those ideas.

2 Likes

I am happy with that.

• stop merc queuing which rewards horde
  • stop the warmode enticements rewards to alliance (actually could argue the rewards still outweigh the pain)
  • watch horde moan about those pesky alliance who don’t come out to get mobbed 57v1 at every quest hub
  • watch horde moan about long RBG queue’s

Problem solved. Meanwhile there might be a trickle of people swapping back to alliance

4 Likes

Mmm… that’s a fair assessment. Though, to be frank, I was counting on the Alliance being happier that they’re not outnumbered by Horde rather than them being annoyed that some Horde decided to help them out by going mercenary.

Prolly not gonna happen just because of massive plot armor from both factions. I mean sometimes blizzard casually forgets these things, and I could name specific examples.

cough cough Jaina at Broken Shore who conveniently forgot she could teleport entire armies away to safety but suddenly remembers to do that at the Battle for Lordaeron even though at that point Horde had very strong magically inclined allies who were pretty good at portal magic cough cough

Though, you’d probably find yourself enjoying the game a little more if you don’t have a massive hate erection for the opposing faction.

I don’t get people’s beef with torrent. It’s change was somewhat PvE inspired but affected PvP more because of the removal of an extra interrupt for Belves.

To my knowledge, one of the driving reasons for the change to Torrent was because of Beta testing for the Mother fight in Uldir. Testers called out that Torrent was good for the fight, so blizzard made it a dispel. When Beta testers moved on to Zul, they also called out that it was strong in its dispel form, and then Blizzard did nothing.

Quite the opposite. What’s the point in playing a game called “war” craft if you don’t get to hate the other side?

1 Like

Truly the best solution is to remove the bonuses and see who remains. Its such an easy fix made super complex.

1. Remove WM bonuses
  2. Give both factions a quest to kill opposite faction --> reward honor tokens
  3. Profit cause only those who were in PvP servers before will still be around.

Getting real tired of the argument about imbalance. Frostmourne hordie here btw (alliance dominant server)

World pvp / Fair

PICK ONE

1 Like

Frostmourne being an Alliance dominant server means nothing with cross realms/sharding. I used to detest times in Legion when you would join a raid for a world boss or something. Then as soon as you left the party, you were suddenly surrounded by horde, usually Barthilas, who proceeded to gank you into next week.
WM for alliance was like that EVERY day. It was not fun so WM is off and even with the “bonuses” (woohoo a 370 piece of gear) I will not bother to turn it on. It’s a small effort on my part to refuse to play this part of the game with Blizzard. They need to work on the pvp population imbalance in a long term approach not this rubbish. Turn merc mode off, remove bonuses, tweak racials for more variation maybe, make blood elves even more ugly than they are now … you get the picture. Horde world PvPers will have no opposition, get bored, and some will start to move back to alliance to have some pvp fun.

3 Likes

Yep agree. But what i meant was back when there was no sharding mate. Thats where the real world pvp fun was. There was times where being outnumbered wasnt as bad as it is now. Like we have an influx of PvE warrior joining WM just for the bonuses. Just yesterday i was im combat with 3 alliance players and low and behold a hordie came in from a distance, saw the fight and ran away. Back in the day, if anyone saw another player fighting. Boi it was on. You just dont see that nowadays. Its kind of sad actually, it has come to a point where i dont even bother to agro anyone while doing world quests. I just walk infront of the alliance player /wave /kiss and we do our WQ and merry along

1 Like