Was there originally going to be three N'Zoth Assaults?

I kind of noticed a pattern with the two N’Zoth Assaults that patch 8.3 brought to the game.

Uldum - N’Zoth is invading C’Thun’s old territory with:
His own Old God forces
C’thun’s old insectoid army, the Aqir
And corrupting the local titan-forged, the Tol’vir.

Vale of Eternal Blossoms - N’Zoth is invading Y’Shaarj’s old territory with:
His own Old God forces
Y’Shaarj’s old insectoid army, the Mantid
And corrupting the local titan-forged, the Mogu.

Anyone else think it was likely that in the planning of this update, there was probably also planned to be a 3rd assault?

Storm Peaks - N’Zoth is invading Yogg-Saron’s old territory with:
His own Old God forces
Yogg-Saron’s old insectoid army, the Nerubians
And corrupting the local titan-forged, the Vyrkul.

1 Like

I doubt it. I can’t image Ulduar had much use in the grand scheme of things on par with the Forge of Origination and the Engine of Nalak-sha.

The Nerubians are unique in that they completely cut their ties to the Old Gods. Yogg-Saron is part of the reason they lost their kingdom in the first place as well. They were still pretty bitter about that in WotLK and were on good terms with the Horde at least. I doubt they would side with N’zoth even if they had the opportunity.

The Vrykul and Stormborn Dwarves would work fine as antagonists again if N’zoth got the Halls of Stone under his control, but… Ulduar is literally right there. The keepers probably would have it under control.

Plus is there had been a third zone, the quest-line for the cloak would have been longer. For my alts sake…

NO THANK YOU!

9 Likes

There is the Forge of Wills in Yogg’Saron’s territories.

2 Likes

Yeah but that doesn’t reorigimate like the Uldum one does or supply power like the Engine of Nalak’sha. It makes titanforged races instead.

On the other hand if there had been a Storm Peaks assault then Blizzard would have actually had to use the Keepers which would be good, because their total absence in this patch is so bizarre because dealing with the Old Gods is LITERALLY THEIR JOB. It’s like the Vindicaar missing from Darkshore but even worse.

4 Likes

The Forge of Wills was designed to shape the World Soul’s Sentience. It is powered by the Engine of the Makers in Storm Peaks. Its sister, The Forge of Origination, was designed to shape the World Soul’s Body. It was powered by the Forge of Nalak’sha under Kun-Lai Summit. Its literally Mind and Body thing with these two devices and their supporting power sources.

1 Like

Yes but that doesn’t matter because N’Zoth’s plan was to overwrite the Forge of Origination’s blueprint with Ny’alotha, so that using the reorigination device would turn the world into Ny’Alotha, and the Forge of Wills can’t do that.

2 Likes

The engine of Nalak-Sha had no purpose other than to be a battery for the Forge of Origination.

There’s no reason to think that Ulduar couldn’t have served the same purpose. In fact, there’s even a scene in the Chamber of the Heart where they’re running diagnostics on all the various Titan facilities to make sure they could draw power from them, and the whole reason we go to the Vale is because the system detected a problem there.

Like the Keepers in the Halls of Origination kept that under control?

Didn’t we kill all of them back in Cata?

The Keepers in HoO are all dead. We saw to that in Cata. We see that they are not there when we’re going through the place (Though they’re alive in Ny’alotha’s reality for whatever reason). For a Titan superweapon, there was surprisingly little protecting it after we left.

Unlike Ulduar, which is still the most secure Titan Facility to date with most Keepers still active.

Ulduar is harder to invade. The place is built to be a literal Old God jail cell. Most of its Keepers are active and vigilant. It has a standing Titanforged army thanks to the Halls of Stone/Forge of Wills. To my knowledge Algalon is still hanging out there too.

Mogu’shun has… none of that. Like HoO, we left it with nothing after we swept through.

Uldaman is mentioned there as well. I don’t think N’zoth cared about that place either.

2 Likes

Uldir is in Nazmir. And was the first raid of BFA.

I think you mean Uldum.

1 Like

Did we?!

I just assumed they returned to normal after we beat them the way all the Ulduar ones did…

I did, thank you.

While we seemed to, it’s notable that during one of the player’s return visits to the Halls of Origination, while taking the elevator to the top floor one can see into the Watcher bosses’ chambers, and they all seem to be active again with groups of N’zoth cultists bowing before them. It’s only present during the second visit scenario (when the player tries and fails to endure N’zoth’s corruption inciting Wrathion to create the Legendary cloak) but the N’zoth-related mob NPC’s also being there makes it seem deliberate rather than just the bosses erroneously appearing again as some bug from the original version of the dungeon or something.

So it’s possible that Uldum’s Watchers were all restored at some point after Cataclysm and became subverted when N’zoth’s minions infiltrated the Halls, or perhaps those same minions both restored and corrupted the Watchers themselves.

1 Like

I was thinking of ether the Jungle Area or pretty much Storm Peaks since that’s where all of the Great Titan Tech is there. But I guess the Nerubians didn’t answer the call of N’zoth pretty much.

1 Like

Are we sure the Armies of the Black Empire in the Assaults are all N’Zoth’s Forces? Some of the Faceless resemble C’Thun’s Aqir in coloration(Red with Purple-Blue Shell) rather than the coloration used for the Aqir in Ny’alotha(Purple-Blue with Red Shell).

Considering where the Drust and K’thir gain their power, Kul’tiras should be hit hard during these assaults. :thinking:

Alternatively, it could be one of those cases where we didn’t canonically kill the watchers.

1 Like

It’s entirely likely that N’Zoth DID assault Stormpeaks/Ulduar but the the Keepers there did a fine job of containing that Threat that we didn’t need to bother.
It’s something that could of been referenced at least but, head-canonically it’s possible.

Or there just wasn’t anything there worth the trouble for N’Zoth go after and he figured he’ll control it all eventually anyway.

1 Like

That sequence was in one of N’Zoth’s vision realities though, wasn’t it? They weren’t there when we went there for real with Magni.

Also iirc the original introduction for the Amathet, a quest from island expeditions, mentions how the HoO watchers died which started the Amathet on their “okay the world’s effed” path.

1 Like

Maybe not originally, but I assume all of them belong to N’Zoth now, by dint of him being the only one left to command them.

Not quite; the player only enters N’zoth’s vision in the Halls of Origination when we go to the Tomb of the Earthrager section. We’re still in the “waking world” each time we take the lift up to the control center above the Four Seats.

1 Like