Was The Teldrassil BBQ A Genocide?

Thanks for posting this cannibal, going to bookmark and link next thousand times when it crops up if you don’t mind. It’s probably the most comprehensive breakdown of the passage and it makes the argument clearly and concisely.

5 Likes

More than welcome to.

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, God calls it a duck… it’s probably a duck.

13 Likes

Well there WERE 1000 citizens in Darnassus when the fire started. We we trying to save them. Remember the countdown timer?

If not a genocide, a holocaust. Both aren’t great.

… but it’s a genocide.

2 Likes

So I originally thought these we only lost 1000 because of the fire quest. I later had to admit that it was significantly more. But what I never bought is that the Nelves, like some are assuming are down to Belf numbers or near extinction. So does this prove or at least imply that there are tons more left?

We havent “been through” this - I left your thread when you started acting like my attacks on your position were personal. I didnt even reply to your points or read on to avoid derailing it.

Notice I never replied once I said I would not.

But your interpretation is still as biased and wrong as it was then. You cant twist the narrative - even if the bias in the Forums agrees with you.

I like how you claim what’s in the Alliance characters minds is objective narrative fact when it agrees with your perspective. That is just silly - but popular.

2 Likes

Look up the Geneva convention for Genocide, kiddo. I actually move forward for everyone to learn them. Ignorance breeds malice, unintended or not, and the mistakes of the past will repeat if they are not taught.

Orcs have already committed two genocides. Reeducation for their entire populace is entirely necessary for them to ever co-exist peacefully.

6 Likes

Attempted Genocide is still genocide. Leaving a few around just because it would be a hassle to destroy them all is not what disqualifies genocide.

Please. Please learn what these words mean.

2 Likes

I remember when the Forsaken, High Elves, and Night Elves signed the Geneva convention. How could they ignore George Washington and get involved in long term international politics!

And no one told them about the 13th amendment either! Azeroth has slaves and people born into slavery! Or the 1st amendment - a few nations have official state religions.

Because the World of Warcraft is bound to the Geneva Convention and the Magna Carta and every other Earth Law/Code/Treaty somehow…

4 Likes

Uh, that would be literally every war in WoW, kiddo. Even the ones the Alliance started.

4 Likes

Val wasn’t saying they were. They were saying the Geneva Convention can be referenced, by yourself and others, for what constitutes as a genocide.

Presumably, because a basic dictionary isn’t doing the trick.

14 Likes

I mean we were doing that until a certain group of humans insisted on killing all the orcs.

Massacre of Teldrasil or Genocidal Massacre of Teldrasil are the more accurate terms, rather than straight genocide.

On a side note Genn’s wife being their technically means the statement that only innocent civilians were in Teldrassil is inaccurate as well.

Not arguing that Burning of Teldrassil wasn’t an evil thing, just it wasn’t about purging the Night Elves but rather a tyrannical act perpetrated to try and subjugate the Night Elf people as a whole.

Lets also not forget that the civilian death toll in Ashenvale and Darkshore during the War of Thorns was as much on the Night Elves themselves that most of their able bodied adults went militia resistance and threw themselves at the Horde, hoping they’d bog down the Horde enough for aid to arrive.

Yeah, how dare the Horde resist when the Alliance sends their armies to stop them from mining.

2 Likes

You seem well acquainted with that line of defense. You must use it often in court.

Silithus was Night Elven territory and categorized as neutral. The Horde unabashedly mining this resource for war weapons was clearly seen and moved to stop. It was only then, that the Horde revealed this as a ploy, and that they infact had planned to invade Kalimdor all along.

You cannot hide from the fact that using a weak justification somehow washes away an act of aggression of unpredictable status that was done by the Horde… Twice.

10 Likes

When you chose to become an armed combatant during a battle/war that makes you no longer an innocent civilian, but a legitimate military target.

You can still be a victim but blaming the opposing army for your casualties is a half-truth at best.

Does it make reasonable sense for the Horde soldiers to have to stop and ask every Night Elf trying to kill them if their militia or not before bringing down a killing blow?

3 Likes

Elegy makes it clear that there is no such thing as a Night Elf non-combatant.

The only Night Elves who are not a threat during the War of Thorns are the ones too young or weak to wield a stone and toss it.

When the entire populace is fighting you, and Summermoon just told the Warchief the Night Elves will always fight to the last and their hope can not be killed…

Instead of sending the Horde into a hornets nest, she burned it.

It was no one’s territory once Sargeras was done with it and it’s kinda hard to invade Kalimdor when the Horde already owns half of it.

It was the Night Elves that attempted the first strike of the war. If they didn’t their army to Silithus stop the Horde from mining, they wouldn’t have lost their tree. In other words, don’t start nothing, wont be nothing.

1 Like

Actually, the word “defunct” doesn’t appear in either A Good War, Elegy, or her explanation in the quest The Warchief Commands.

Now I’m not sure what you’re actually thinking of, but if you want to assert this argument you may want to find the actual quote that you’re thinking of and see if the word actually used works.

3 Likes