Was just listening to the Q4 conference call

Classic is a server on the already existing WoW. It’s not exactly a release, and it’s a 15 year old game.

Relax, it’s not going away.

4 Likes

Classic is being developed as a different game, not just a different server option

1 Like

I don’t think it’s going to be canceled, however I may think it’s going to be delayed right now.

No, it’s servers within the already existing client. Blizzard is NOT making a separate WoW client for classic.

Really? So why did I have to download a completely separate game and login through a completely separate screen for the demo?

1 Like

Probably because classic isn’t live and the current client isn’t capable of supporting it?

You downloaded a demo, not a game. It was already announced, since the beginning, that’s going to be a server on the live client.

1 Like

I’m gonna have to ask for the source on this one because I’ve not once seem Blizzard claim that it would run in the live 8.x client.

2 Likes

Yeah guess what. I’ll believe it’s a different server option and not a game when the devs start referring to it as a server option in the client and not a different game.
But seeing as they have never said the former and have said the latter, good luck.

1 Like

Last I saw was that they were using the 7.3.5 client to build it with, but that it would be it’s own game.

Much like different games use the unreal engine but are different games.

Yeah, right now everything we’ve seen suggests that Classic will run on a modified 7.3.5 client of the game.

Which I’m gonna stick with that unless somebody can pull up a quote from Blizzard that says otherwise(which I don’t believe exists =P)

1 Like

Exactly.
And given that when they talked about not having linked rewards they said it wasn’t easy to implement a system like that, leads me to believe that it’s 2 different games instead of two seperate servers.

They would not say that at an event that sets the tone for future investments.
It would be buisness suicide.

The only statements that could be construed as that is “We’re expecting wow numbers to decline further” or “we lost the expected amount of subs from wow”.

And while wow is important to us, atm i’d guesstimate that it’s approximately 2% of Activisions of MAU’s.

The Activision mandate is evidently one every 2 years, and I think they’re pushing for Blizzard to not count the WoW Expansions as part of that.

Of course they don’t, currently understood market metrics would indicate anything but WoW Classic is in demand. Only they tend to forget that Blizzard has a track record of creating markets for their new products.

How well they manage them, that’s another matter. And Classic WoW is likely to be one of those “everything old is new again” type moments for them.

Stop getting baited.

The Departure of Mr. Morhaime from the CEOship of Blizzard and his very brief tenure as “a consultant” were likely warning signs as well.

As long as he was around, they were restricted in what could be done with the company. Now that they’ve removed him from the immediate picture, the gloves are off.

They’re ignoring Classic completely, its a project that in the eyes of Activision, exists only for the purpose of protecting the IP rights to the franchise. Anything else is gravy.

That and it both doesn’t fit into their current business paradigm, and runs counter to their understanding of what the current gaming market wants. As such, they’re not predicting it as likely to make any waves.

Of course, if it brings in 3 Million+ new subscribers, they’ll be perfectly happy to take credit for having “pushed” for it to be brought to market.

Thats because they are expecting to bleed subs from WoW as well.

We joke around here about Classic growing larger than retail, but man oh man I dunno. Based on the Demo participation they dont have any reason to expect classic will bring more subs than retail, and they themselves acknowledged the outlook on retail this year isn’t positive, and that includes classic boosting subs some.

Also, classic is not a box retail released game, so the no new games in 2019 makes sense. Classic will be a server option, on the server screen.

1 Like

I doubt he knew it was going to be his fate, just that the axe was going to fall on a lot of people, and probably sooner rather than later. So he covered his bases, to the benefit of the fans, in case he was one of the unlucky ones.

1 Like

You didn’t pay attention to the right comments from that Dev’s presentation. His presentation was centered around the 7.3.5 Client, but almost guaranteed that when/if a beta comes around, it’s going to be on a BFA version Client.