Was Garrosh getting hit with the villain bat still bad?

I owe you an apology. I shouldn’t have nitpicked your post like that. I didn’t intend on it with the first reply but it was stupid of me to double down instead of just backing off like I should have, or just not said anything at all.

2 Likes

If someone spits in my face, them kicking me in the balls doesn’t make me like either action more.

It does, but not because it’s too evil for her, but because it’s not pragmatic. It’s portrayed as a stupid, emotional outburst that actively undermines her plans. Which, assuming it’s not all some kind of misdirect, is extremely out of character for her.

2 Likes

Wasn’t it implied that if Malfurion had died then she would have spared the tree house? Her main goal was to destroy a symbol of hope.

No. They were erroneous leaps in logic made by some players.

In-game, Sylvanas believes that Malfurion is effectively killed when she leaves to get to the catapults. She has no knowledge of his survival when she orders the tree to be burned.

It was because that’s exactly what happens in A Good War. Saurfang comes back and tells her that he didn’t kill Malf and then she thinks up plan b of burning the tree.

Wow, really? That’s nuts. Why didn’t they mention it in her Warbringer?

She did ask Saurfang to bring his head as proof of the deed. Saurfang shows empty-handed. I still have hope she’s still a tad bit clever enough to figure it out, despite Blizz poor depiction of her so far

Good question! I would have thought time maybe but the Sylvanas’ WB is the shortest of the 3.

I just rewatched the WB. As Oranumn says, Sadfang is there without a head so they probably discuss it off-camera. What stood out to me (for the first time) is that Sylvanas first says, “Prepare to invade the tree”. It’s after her conversation with Delaryn, that she flips. Which is why I am in the camp that this is nonsensical character writing and out of character for Sylvanas.

BFA sucks.

Actually, I guess the reason they didn’t include it was because the WB picks up at the “Secure the beach” line. Here’s everything that comes before it if you’re interested:

She walked away from them. Shortly, she heard footsteps on the sand behind her. Her champion and the high overlord were following her, blessedly holding their tongues. She could imagine their expressions—Saurfang at peace, Nathanos seething—but she did not want them to see hers. Not until her rage had cooled. She needed to think.

Malfurion will live. Sylvanas could scarcely believe it.

She took the bow off her back, drew an arrow, and fired. The arrow arced over her Horde and slammed into the back of a Sentinel leader. The night elf was still fighting hard, even with other arrow shafts buried in her body. Sylvanas’s blow finally made her fall. With that, the last flickers of real resistance on Darkshore collapsed. She put her bow away again.

This battle was not about a piece of land. Even Saurfang knew that. Taking the World Tree was a way to inflict a wound that could never heal. Losing their homes and their leaders would have ended the kaldorei as a nation, if not a people. Even the loss of one leader would have been enough to create a tide of despair. The wounds of this battle would have bled, festered, decayed, and rotted the Alliance from the inside out. Anduin Wrynn would have lashed out in a final, desperate war, looking for a miracle, because only a miracle would save them.

But a miracle already had. A miracle granted by the honorable hand of a foolish old orc.

And an overconfident warchief. Best to lay blame where it belonged. This was her mistake as much as Saurfang’s.

This conquest of Darnassus would rattle the kaldorei people. They would grieve for their lost, fear for their imprisoned, and tremble at the thought of the Horde ransacking their homes. But they would not fall to despair. Not anymore. Malfurion’s impossible survival would give them hope. Their wound would heal.

Even in this dark hour , they would say, Elune still watches over us.

And that was almost certainly true, wasn’t it? Elune had intervened. Perhaps she had even stayed Saurfang’s killing blow. And she wouldn’t be the only force beyond the Alliance to oppose Sylvanas’s true objective.

Sylvanas’s anger grew cold.

She had known this would happen. It had simply come sooner than expected. That was all.

She strode toward the shoreline, ignoring the last few skirmishes and the wailing of those unfortunate kaldorei who had been unable to escape Darkshore. She studied the shape of Teldrassil towering above her in the moonslight. Soon, it would be in the hands of the Horde.

“Secure the beach,” Sylvanas said. “Prepare to invade the tree.”

1 Like

Thank you.

Is her portrayal in A Good War in-character for her, in your opinion?

I’d say most of A Good War was pretty in character but the last chapter/part that includes the burning is not. I mean, if there was a character that was going to burn down a city out of all the faction leaders it would be Sylvanas. But her motivations have generally been revenge, survival, or trying to bolster/keep the Forsaken alive as a race and burning Teldrassil down doesn’t really fit any of those. We have also always known what her goals were when she was doing shady stuff but they’ve alluded to a hidden ultimate goal and we have no idea what that goal is so she basically just comes off as being evil for the lolz. The Night Elves had already surrendered and she had to have known that a majority of the Horde would not be pleased with killing innocent people. She was there for the rebellion against Garrosh and his trial. She even comments that she wants Saurfang to plan out the war because she knows people wouldn’t trust her to do it honorably. So she’s smart enough to recognize that yet she does something incredibly rash and egregious anyway? I’d say it depends on what her “ultimate goal” is but I doubt it will make any of this better. Damage is already done to her character, the Horde as a whole, and Night Elves.

1 Like