Warrior Tanks, I could use some advice

I was in voice comms with them as they are guildies. I kept asking them if they were holding back but they swore they weren’t. The mobs were melting too. We did a full WC clear in about 45 minutes and we had to swap healers due to a DC.

We shall see though. Mages get better aoe and more gear with spell power attached to items. Their dps begins to ramp up more and more as they near 60. I’m sure threat is going to be an issue in the coming levels.

Spamming heroic strike will decrease your available rage. You really don’t want to do that :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not saying to use it everytime. I guess I should start spelling out every single thing and being extremely specific if you’re going nitpick and take that route with arguments.

Use heroic strike when rage allows and you aren’t starving yourself of rage for revenge and shield block. Always try to save a little rage for things like disarming heavy hitting melee mobs and shield bashing important spells. It doesn’t take much brain power to read between the lines.

Heroic strike is used as a rage dump in dungeons and raids, only to be used when rage is in excess or overflowing. It’s not even meant to be used when you think you’re okay with rage. It inhibits your rage growth by preventing your next auto attack to generate rage because heroic strike replaces your next auto attack.

I really don’t recommend using it in dungeons.

1 Like

I did a sm cath farm with 2 mages, warlock, and 2h warrior with ravager(?).

I get that its fun for the dps, but heals is basically spamming a big heal and frantically drinking after combat ends.

I dont think I want to do that again.

I set up my stance bars with similar abilities in similar spots.
Ie: Charge/intercept are both on 6.

If it’s more than 1-2 mobs: Charge stance dance to Zerker, pop Zerker Rage. stance dance to Def. Zerker rage gives you more rage for being smacked. It really helps with getting initial aggro, and has a shorter cooldown than bloodthirst.

WoTF as a thumb button on my mouse.

Tactical Mastery is a must for tanking.
You have to go deep enough into arms to grab it.

Warrior is great fun.
Also:
Tanks are highly in demand, if your group is struggling and you’ve wiped a couple times just leave and find a different one.

Yes this is true. The tooltip does say that it generates a high amount of threat. There are times when I’m being beat on by 3 or 4 mobs and I’m overflowing with rage. You’re darn skippy I’m tossing out some heroic strikes for that added threat generation. I don’t over do it but I manage it and I’ve yet to have a dps pull off me even when they go full nuke on a mob and are a few levels above me.

Wow, your farts must smell amazing.

Between using active mit to save your healers, saving rollover rage for next pull, using sunders to increase melee damage/secure threat, shield bashing any spell thats a heal, healer disruption, or big damage (most of them) popping revenge for free threat and cheap added dps, keeping dem shout/battle shout up for group benefit…

After all that yeah. You can use heroic strike. But I’ve found 100% uptime on shield block/revenge for…well whatever. I lose just a teeny bit of rage every combo.

So instead of adding 50 base damage for lulz, im saving healer mana for next pull, suring up threat, doing damage, and delicately keeping my rage in limbo from 90-95% for destroying the next pull.

I honestly never use heroic strike. It’s practically useless.

5 Likes

Look into weapon/stance swapping macros baked into your abilities. Its an absolute game changer.

1 Like

Thanks for the great tips, I will definitely use them across my undeads. Also, I will keep charge and intercept on the same key. Cheers.

Hey Carnagez,

I noticed a lot of people asking similar questions, so I put up a bit of a guide for low level (~40+) Warrior tanking. Would appreciate any feedback.

I mostly use some keybinds that are closer than my number keys, so don’t particularly use my stance bars that much. Having said that, I do use macros, and they are continuously evolving.

For example, for Shield Block, I might have something like:

#showtooltip Shield Block

/cast [stance:1/3]Defensive Stance; Shield Block
/stopmacro [equipped:shields]
/equip Shield_Name
/equip 1Hander_Name

And then similar things to change to other stances with other skills, as well as /startattack with a lot, instead of having to click the mob.

I usually charge in, toss out demo shout, and get some sunders up.

I think I could do everything manually other than swapping my 2hander to a 1hander and shield, though it would be more cumbersome.

/equip Shield_Name
/equip 1Hander_Name
/equip 2Hander_Name

I’ve had no issues at all tanking up to RFD as Arms. Tactical Mastery is really nice.

3 Likes

You should underline that part about tactical mastery. When I started on launch I forgot to go tac mas cuz I wasn’t paying attention, and then didn’t want to change back, because, well, gold.

OH MY SWEET BABY JESUS ITS SOOOOO MUCH BETTER

2 Likes

Haha yeah. I have a level 20 Fury warrior on Faerlina, and umm… well, you’re definitely right :slight_smile:

Its not man. Literally when doing leveling dungeons its not even that noticible and the benefits outweigh it. Its not only theorycrafted to death, but put to the test. It works and works great. Just because you dont like doesnt mean its bad. You also start losing the arguement when you resort to ad hominem attacks.

One example would be that there is no mention of threat for Demoralizing Shout for example, though it’s quite important for maintaining AoE aggro.

1 Like

Duel wield fury prot is only used for end game ST Raid encounters by high end guilds whose DPS can Kill the boss in under 90 seconds, therefor mana isn’t an issue for healers. You should by no means be using duel wield for dungeons ever ! Even with max hit rating and full threat gear you don’t do this in dungeons. While leveling your threat generation from duel wield due to 19% miss penalty will be worse then sword and shield and even 2 hand. There is no rhyme or reason to do this at this stage of the game

Lol. Yall are just crazy. Ive dungeon leveled with a fury warrior who DW tanks. We hit dungeon reset limit everytime. I have NO issue healing him at all. He has NO issue hitting/pulling 250+ dps. We sailed through SM pulls. Same for RFD and ZF, princess runs. Now were doing BRD. Idk why you think its only endgame viable…

Healers remember good tanks that take care of them. You will probably make friends with a healer early on and be BFFs

1 Like

If y’all are in a premade group with good communication and your having no issue more power to you. You can play the game whatever way is most fun for you. But for a new player who plays in PUG this isn’t the best advice

My tanking guide for leveling.

Level as Arms with Tactical Mastery and Anger Management.

• This is crucial as this allows you to retain excess rage to use in the next pull. Crucial for dungeons when you are pulling with ranged weapons.
  • Learn what minimum threat is required to maintain aggro within your group. I have found that in some groups, 3 sunders per mob will maintain aggro and I can pool rage until everything dies. Now you have plenty of rage for the next pull.
  • Using Anger Management will allow you to retain much of your rage even if the healer has to drink.

Mark and prioritize you threat. I like to mark skull and X if people cant seem to attack the same things. Slap a sunder on the primary target then start using revenge and sunder on non-primary targets just to hold aggro from healers. Then swap back to primary target and continue to stack sunder/revenge while weaving revenge/sunder through the non-primary targets.

If you are having issues with threat, go into dungeons when you are a level or 2 above the mobs you are tanking. This will make a HUGE difference in your threat. Dodge/Parry/Miss is brutal when the mobs are above your level.

Tanking takes practice and situational awareness. You are the field commander and control the pace of the run. Most people do not like this responsibility which is why tanks are rare and good tanks are revered.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes